9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 11:20 PM by shooternz

Splitting a video file

slothario

I'm trying to take a compressed video file and cut it up into pieces, which I'll save at the highest quality possible in order to be used in other videos. How do I do that in Premiere?

Here's the video details (put here for my personal reference, too):

Video codec: WMV2

Frame rate: 30 fps

Audio codec: wma2

Sample rate: 44100 Hz

Bits per sample: 16

• 1. Re: Splitting a video file
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Import the video file and drag it to the "new timeline" icon in the project bin to create a sequence with the best possible settings for that codec. Then delete the file off the sequence (you still have the sequence there). Double click on the file to open it in the source monitor, play it till you get to where you want the clip to start and press "i" on your keyboard to set the "in" point. Then play till you want it to stop and press the "o" on your keyboard to set the "out" point. Then use your mouse to click on the video in the source monitor and drag it down to your sequence. Export that sequence and check the box in the exporter to use the best settings for your sequence. Either duplicate the sequence or delete the clip from it and start again for each successive clip.

• 2. Re: Splitting a video file
            slothario Level 1

Thanks. But you say:

check the box in the exporter to use the best settings for your sequence

and I can't find it. Am I missing something? I'm looking at an "export

settings" window.

• 3. Re: Splitting a video file
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

It's going to be right below the "Export Settings" dropdown towards the right... check out this screenshot:

Untitled-1.gif

• 4. Re: Splitting a video file
                slothario Level 1

Okay. So that won't further compress things?

• 5. Re: Splitting a video file
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Well, anytime you edit compressed footage and export it, you're further degrading it... but short of splitting out your video into separate sequences (one

for each segment of video you want) and then importing just that sequence into whatever other project you need the video in, I think this is the best workflow...

• 6. Re: Splitting a video file
                    shooternz Level 6

Why dont you keep the original source file in tact and use it as a source for whatever / when ever you need it (in other videos)

I dont understand why you need to break it up!

• 7. Re: Splitting a video file
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Good point, that would, of course, be the best way to handle it, and the one resulting in the least amount of degradation. However, the OP said he needed it split into separate files so there may be some reason he needs that--If so, would there be another, better way to get the best possible quality files for each bit of video he needs?

• 8. Re: Splitting a video file
                        shooternz Level 6
                        If so, would there be another, better way to get the best possible quality files for each bit of video he needs?

What ever way he will end up with a quality hit.  He is best to stay as close to his source file as a "source"

" you can not make a chicken from chicken manure" 

• 9. Re: Splitting a video file