2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 1:19 AM by Mylenium

What effects were used in Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo?

DaniePret

Students want to promote something on campus and want to use similar effects as used in the Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo (see on YouTube here -->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGt0KEAKBPk )

• What was used to get the great coloring - very bright/sauturated?  Was iT saturation of certain colors only?
      • The very orange horizon/sunset effect?
      • The clothes 'falling' of the actress while she is walking, changing into other clothes
      • Clothes falling of her when she is getting out of the car

This is really a great promo and as a novice After Effects user, I would love to know how these were created (what effects/plugins/etc).

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Danie

• 1. Re: What effects were used in Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are a lot of things going on in that video, may of which take a lot of work and a lot of different techniques. If you are, as you say, a "novice After Effects user", trying to replicate this as one of your first projects is probably a bad idea.

Instead, I'd recommend that you begin at the beginning and methodically learn the basics of After Effects. Here's where I recommend starting:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

Once you've learned the basics, you'll know how to do primary and secondary color correction, use compositing techniques to overlay synthetic items onto a subject, and so on.

Perhaps others on this forum are prepared to spend a lot of time walking you through all of the techniques required to do such a large project, but I'd ask that you give us more focused and specific questions.

• 2. Re: What effects were used in Desperate Housewives Season 7 Promo?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Way over your head, if you are just a beginner...

• What was used to get the great coloring - very bright/sauturated?  Was iT saturation of certain colors only?
            • The very orange horizon/sunset effect?

Elaborate color correction.

• The clothes 'falling' of the actress while she is walking, changing into other clothes
            • Clothes falling of her when she is getting out of the car

Green screen shooting, 3D matchmoving, 3D animation, corrective warping, morphing and masking.

All of these are advanced techniques which you won't be able to pull of on your own, even if you had worked with AE for years already. This requires a qualified team and a lot of planning and involves much more than just throwing on a few effects on possibly poorly shot footage...

Mylenium