15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 9:29 AM by the_wine_snob

Saving Video

tubuch Level 1

First thanks to all that can help. I am using Pre El 8. Is there any way I can save just a portion of my timeline, without removing all but what I want to save of it?

• 1. Re: Saving Video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Certainly.

Set the Work Area Bar (the lighter colored bar along the top of the timeline) over the segment you want to save. Then in your Share options, check the box that saves Work Area Bar Only. (Another great tip from my books!, by the way.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving Video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the WAB (from PrE 4, but should be very, very similar):

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Hope that this helps and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Saving Video
              tubuch Level 1

Thank You Steve. What seemed so difficult, became so simple. May I ask what your books are?

• 4. Re: Saving Video
                tubuch Level 1

And thank you also Bill. A picture is worth a thousand words!!

tubuch

• 5. Re: Saving Video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve's books are excellent, and cover PrElements, PSElements, plus Tips & Tricks. I recommend all very highly. They can be found at Amazon, or Muvipix. I feel that Adobe should up the price of PrE and include a copy!  Of course, then he'd be rolling in $, and not contribute here as much.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Saving Video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the image helped.

Couple of bits of info:

The WAB is set by the little "handles" on each end.

To reset the WAB (it can affect Rendering, and also Export/Share) is to hit the \ (Backslash key), and then Dbl-click on the little "box" in the middle, to reset.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Saving Video
                      tubuch Level 1

I probably wouldn't have figured out that little trick in a hundred years. So, thank you again. I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of other tips/tricks, hence the reason I will be looking at Steve's books. Thanks again.

tubuch

• 8. Re: Saving Video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You will not be disappointed. Steve shares so very many of those tips and tricks, and I have to admit that some are pretty well hidden. Even with a very good working knowledge of PrPro, when I picked up PrE, I had to hunt about quite a bit.

Good luck and good reading,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Saving Video
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for the endorsement, guys. I really do try my best!

• 10. Re: Saving Video
                            nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

Steve's books are excellent, and cover PrElements, PSElements, plus Tips & Tricks.  ... I feel that Adobe should up the price of PrE and include a copy!

My retail boxed version of PSE7/PRE7 included a 195  page book "Using Adobe Premiere Elements 7". Does PRE9 retail still  include such a book?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Saving Video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

A book! You got a book? PrE 4 had a tiny little "getting started" sheet.

Now, I am an avowed "book person," and really missed having a manual. I read those cover to cover, and usually several times. Though I came from PrPro and several years of experience, I was lost regarding some aspects of PrE 4. I relied on this forum, and Steve's PrE in a Snap Version 2.0 (earlier version). Though I use Adobe Help often, and in many programs, there were enough differences in terms, etc., that made searching Help a bit less than "a snap." [Pun intended]

Since PrE is targeted more to beginning NLE users, I feel that it needs a "manual" even more than PrPro does, and PrE 4.0 was sorely lacking there.

After my initial purchasing of PrPro (full suite), at each upgrade, I bought the manuals from Adobe at ~ US$60 for all, and never regretted my purchases. Now with CS5, everything is electronic and in Help, which is Web-based (there is a PDF, but that is secondary), which I understand. Adobe can instantly update the Web-based documents, where any printed material, or even a PDF, are rather locked in time. Yes, they can publish addenda (WordPerfect used to do a great job of this, and every quarter, or so, I'd get a package of pages, that replaced pages in my ring-bound manual), but that is still locked in time, and not all that quick. That said, I am still not a big fan of Help files. They do not "read" like a well-written manual, and one MUST know the exact terms for everything to use Search effectively.

OK, <Soapbox Mode Off> Todd, with Adobe (wrote the Help for PrPro and AfterEffects, knows how I feel, and has countered every argument, except that "I like the smell of the ink on paper... "

Even with a manual, I still recommend Steve's books. I have a few, and they are well-written, and quite comprehensive. Couple the program-specific volume with the Tips & Tricks, and one has a great base to use the programs.

Hunt

PS - I strongly recommend that purchasers of Steve's books read the appendices, as they contain a great deal of very, very useful material, especially for things like setting up one's computer. I read a lot of books on Adobe's various programs, and his appendices are the best of the bunch. I'd venture that about 40% of all questions in this forum are answered there - but then, what would I do with all my time, if those questions did not end up here?

• 12. Re: Saving Video
                                nealeh Level 5

Bill, you must be psychic! I've just been making similar comments in my review of Steve's book (that I hope to post later today).

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 13. Re: Saving Video
                                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                                  Todd, with Adobe (wrote the Help for PrPro and AfterEffects, knows how I feel, and has countered every argument, except that "I like the smell of the ink on paper... "

...and it's hard to read a PDF in the bathroom.

To me, an electronic version is nice as a reference, if you want to search for a specific item (say, "audio crossover"). And I certainly like having the digital version, as long as in addition to a printed manual, not instead of.

Having an electronic help file replace an actual book is one of those things that (if you'll excuse the reference) sounds good on paper but just doesn't pan out.

• 14. Re: Saving Video
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, I just spent a week in Mayfair, so maybe I picked up the "vibes!"

Hunt

• 15. Re: Saving Video
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      and it's hard to read a PDF in the bathroom

I am in 100% agreement. I always fly with a copy of at least one Adobe manual, even if it's more of a "learn by doing" book, such as the Adobe Classroom in a Book.

Now, I just got a Kindle for my wife, so maybe I will be dragged, kicking and screaming into this millennium. Gotta' see if Amazon has any Adobe books for the Kindle...

Hunt