7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2010 9:07 AM by John T Smith

Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5

nörd

Hi everyone,

I'm going to buy a new Laptop and I would like to know if the screen solution 1366x768 is to low for PPro CS5. In the requirements there is a minimum of 1280x900 displayed. Does it means that the programm doesn't start or it's not recommended to work with this low screen solution?

I've got a bonus question: can the gt425m with 1024mb be used for the mercury engine? (with the hack)

• 1. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First the bonus question: Nobody has submitted results yet with a GT425M, so no one can say it will work with the hack. The only way to be sure is to try it out. Then you will know.

However coming back to your main question about screen resolution, you are right about the minimum requirements being 1280 x 900. It means that the program will install and run, but you can't access some of the UI boxes, because they are not displayed, making it absolutely worthless. You can't access zoom levels below the timeline, you may not be able to access audio tracks, etc. Another requirement is at least two 7200 RPM SATA disks or better, which precludes almost all notebooks.

You can find decent notebooks for PR CS5 from Sager, Eurocom or Clevo that meet minimum requirements and can even perform as DTR's, starting from $ 4 K and going up to over $ 10 K.

If you look at the PPBM5 Benchmark results, you will see a very nice Sager notebook around 36-th place and other notebooks at the bottom of the list and around 10 to 30 times slower than a fast desktop machine.

To put it bluntly, save your money, don't invest in an underspecced and extremely slow notebook that will not work.

• 2. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
            nörd Level 1

Thanks for your helpfully answer,

I mostly use hard cuts and don't use more than 2 video lines, so I can say I'm not a power user. I don't have the money for a 4k dollar system. I have to buy the notebook anyway, so I thought it would be nice to have a system for travelling.

Whats the advantage of two harddisk instead of one? Would it work for me with one 7200rpm disk? Can I use instead of a second intern harddisk an extern model with usb 3.0 or esata or is the speed from these connections to low?

• 3. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

eSATA is just a good as internal SATA, only it means another power cable.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Whats the advantage of two harddisk instead of one?

One hard drive has one read/write head (or set of heads if multi-platter... all physically locked together) so that one (set of) read/write head(s) may only be in one spot on the hard drive at a time

That means that any Windows activity precludes any file activity

You really need at least 2 hard drives... I have 3...

1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
                2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
                3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

To add to John's valid remark about disk access, just consider serial processing and parallel processing. A single core processor has to execute all instructions in a serial way, a multi-core processor can handle instructions in parallel. That makes a multi-core processor much faster. The same with disks. With only one disk, everything must be done in a serial way, with multiple disks, access can be done parallel, thus much faster.

It is like taking all the kids on a football team to the opponents field. If you have a Porsche 911 (very fast BTW) you can only take one kid at a time, so you have to make multiple trips. OTOH, if you have an old schoolbus (much slower than a Porsche 911), you can take the whole team in one trip and save a lot of time. The same with disks.

• 6. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
                    nörd Level 1

thanks for your advises, I will save my money and spent it in a new desktop system.

• 7. Re: Notebook Solution 1366x768 for PPro CS5
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 470