11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 9:22 AM by SteveRyan555

Crash after attempting to import media

SteveRyan555

I just purchased elements 9, and I tried importing media from my DV camera. Every single time I did that, I got some crazy looking error. I have included screenshots of the error.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/87/870040.jpg

http://media.scout.com/media/image/87/870039.jpg

The page these images are on was a page I was looking at to try and figure out where the crashes are coming from. I had already contacted customer support, and they said uninstall and reinstall everything. So, I did that and still the same thing.

I have a Windows platform, XP, AMD Phenom II X3 720 processor, 2.81 Ghz, 2 GB RAM,

I don't know what other information might be relevant, but this editor is essentially worthless if I can't import media from my camera.

• 1. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "importing video" do you mean capturing your video from a miniDV camcorder connected with a FireWire/IEEE-1394 cable using Premiere Elements? It's important to know exactly which steps you're using to get your media.

Also, is the time and date set correctly on your miniDV camcorder?

And, finally, how much free, defragmented space is left on your C drive?

• 2. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
            SteveRyan555 Level 1

OK, yes, I meant capturing. Sorry about that

Next, I am not using firewire. I am using a USB cord. On my downstairs computer I have a firewire port, but not on this one. But it's always worked when importing to Movie Maker

The date is correct in the camcorder

Free space is 295 GB

• 3. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In order to edit this video in Premiere Elements, you will need to capture it over a FireWire connection. Sorry.

What program are you capturing this video over USB with? Is it appearing as AVIs on your computer?

It's possible you can convert it to a usable DV-AVI.

But why go through all this trouble? MiniDV captured over a FireWire connection will work perfectly in Premiere Elements? Video captured over USB will not.

• 4. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                SteveRyan555 Level 1

The program it works with is Movie Maker 2.6. I have used it for years, because it's idiot proof and super fast when it comes to editing. As for what it appears as, the original file format is AVI by choice, but it gives you a variety of selections in regard to that when capturing it.

I appreciate the information, though, it's a bit disappointing. I don't have firewire on this computer. I suppose you can get it put in? I hope so. This is my fastest computer, and the only realistic one to do any sort of video.

• 5. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                  nealeh Level 5

Movie Maker 2.6 can export to DV-AVI, the perfect format for Standard Definition in PRE.

1. File> Save Movie File (Ctrl+P).
                  2. My Computer.
                  3. Enter a name and choose where to save.
                  4. Select "Show more choices...".
                  5. Select "Other settings:" radio button.
                  6. From the drop down next to "Other settings" choose the DV-AVI option.
                  7. Click "Next " to export the file.

The file produced in Step 7 will now load perfectly into PRE and will not need rendering until you add effects / titles / transitions.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                    SteveRyan555 Level 1

I appreciate the input there, but I'm not really looking for a way to use two movie editors if I don't have to. I'd like to be able to use just PRE to do it all. There are time considerations for this as each piece needs to be added, edited and uploaded as quickly as possible. So, I'm looking to cut out as many steps as I can.

• 7. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                      nealeh Level 5

I can understand that. But with only 2GB RAM anything you can do to ease the load on PRE will improve your chances of success. And the single biggest help you can give to PRE is to feed it with clips in its native format.

Alternatively a suitable PCI Firewire card can be bought for under $20 new, or $5 eBay.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                        SteveRyan555 Level 1

Figures, when I bought this thing just over a year ago, 2 GB was decent. Now it's "only."

I hate technology.

• 9. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, going back about 4 years ago, 4GB (not all could be effectively used, but close) was about the norm. As of Vista-64 and even more with Win7-64, 12GB is about the norm, with 24GB an ideal for memory-hog apps., like NLE programs.

I feel your pain, as I have to upgrade both my workstation and my laptop to 64-bit and the necessary hardware to go with it.

Whatever one buys today, will be bigger and faster tomorrow, and cost less. That is a given.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                            nealeh Level 5

Well officially you should be able to run with 1GB (2GB for HD editing), but empirical evidence shows that that is quite unrealistic. A minimum 4GB RAM + Quad-Core processor and multiple fast hard disks are pretty much essential for AVCHD editing.

But feed it DV-AVI Type 2 files and PRE on 2GB ought to work for you, especially if you work through Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow.

And in case you haven't seen the basic tips:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                            • Run Disk Cleanup.
                            • Run Defragmenter.
                            • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Crash after attempting to import media
                              SteveRyan555 Level 1

Thank you all for the help. I bought a new tower. Not exactly what I wanted, but after looking at what some of you were saying and then talking to some other people I know who are in the same business I am, my RAM was woefully low. So, I upgraded to 8GB and am trying to get it all figured out on the new one.