1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 3:25 AM by Mylenium

Decompressing video files using After effects

giannis72str Level 1

Hello!!

I have a SONY Full HD camcorder that records in an AVCHD format.

So when I import my clips into my computer's hard drive, they are compressed. That meens that I have to decompress them in order to work with the best quality.

So, I use After Effects to export the AVCHD clips totaly uncompressed (I export them into none compressed Quicktime files). Then I re-import the uncompressed Quicktime clips into After Effects and start working with them, adding effects, color correction and so on. When I finish, I export them again totally uncompressed, in order to import them to Premiere for the final editting. I do that because I do not own an Adobe production suite so that to use Adobe Link for transfering files from After Effects to Premiere.

I decompress all my AVCHD clips because I won't need to apply effects to all of them, so some will go straight to Premiere without passing through After effects, since there is no need. So they must be decompressed.

I have noticed that when I decompressed an AVCHD clip, it got 578 GB from 84GB. So when I re-imported the uncompressed 578 GB clip in After Effects and added some effects and color correction, the final clip got out 392GB, although I chose the uncompressed settings and although I added effects. Normally it should be more than 578 GB.

Would you happen to know why is that?

Do you have any other suggestion of how should I decompress my camcorder clips? I have Quicktime but I cannot play AVCHD files, since it is an unsupported format for Quicktime.

Thank you!!

Giannis

• 1. Re: Decompressing video files using After effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          After Effects and added some effects and color correction, the final clip got out 392GB, although I chose the uncompressed settings and although I added effects. Normally it should be more than 578 GB.

The default QT output uses the Animation CoDec, which is a visually lossless compression. No problem here and I think you are overdoing. There is nothing wrong with converting files e.g. to LZW compressed TIFFs, PNG or EXR files, all formats producing much smaller file sizes than QT files and without losing any info...

Mylenium