1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 6:38 AM by MadManChan2000

ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed

Andrew_Hart Level 2

I had the same problem with TIFFs & JPGs after upgrading from ACR 6.1 to 6.2. My system is Win 7x64 and, of course, PsCS5 and Bridge 4.0.39. This time the upgrade was from ACR 6.1 to 6.3RC. Not all images are affected. The problem seems to be entirely random. The amount of overexposure seems to be in the order of 1 to 2 stops. The problem is limited in this way for me:

1. All the affected images display correctly exposed when opened in Ps and ACR 6.3RC (and ACR 6.2) hosted by Bridge.

2. Only TIFFs & JPGs (both B&W and Colour) "derived" ultimately from original TIFF scans (both B&W and Colour) made on a Nikon SuperCoolscan 5000 ED are affected. The original TIFF scans (99.99% are 16-bit) are all unaffected.

3. The problem does not occur with any TIFF or JPG file derived from native CRW or NEF raw files or from native JPG files produced in-camera (Canon EOS 300D and Nikon D700), all of which are themselves unaffected.

4. It does not matter were you might be in an image editing process. Some intermediate edits to TIFFs (I never make intermediate JPG edits) are affected, others are not. Editing might start with the TIFF and continue with edits to the TIFF, and only some of the subsequent TIFFs (or final JPGs derived from them) are affected. For example, there might be 6 distinct edits to a TIFF and only edits 3 through 6 are affected. Editing might procede immediately from the original TIFF scan to PSD, finalise with PSD, and then, AND sometimes only, any TIFF or JPG made from the final, flattened PSD produces a file which Bridge will display overexposed. Only some files in a batch of scans, all made at the same time and under exactly the same conditions (almost always with no adjustments made with the Nikon scanning software), are ever affected - never all of them.

5. Some of the edits to the original TIFF scans (where the edits were kept as TIFFs) were made with Picture Window Pro, some with Lightroom 1.3 (I think), some with ACR 4.x, ACR 5.x, but most were made with PS CS3, CS4 and CS5: it does not matter, there are some affected files from each. The problem certainly does occur with files which have never been opened, let alone edited, in any version of ACR.

6. I have several instances where simply making a copy of a TIFF scan in another folder (whether the copy was made by Bridge or with Windows Explorer has no influence) results in the copy only and not the original being displayed overexposed.

7. If a file is affected, all TIFFs AND all JPGs derived from it will be overexposed, never just one or the other.

The overexposure problem detailed above does not occur with ACR 6.1. All the files affected by ACR 6.2 and 6.3RC are displayed with correct exposure by Bridge when ACR 6.1 is installed.

I'm at a complete loss to understand what is going on. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Has anyone else who was experiencing the Bridge/overexposure problem with either ACR 6.2 or 6.3RC found a solution?

• 1. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
          Andrew_Hart Level 2

Sorry,

I completely forgot that all the B&W scans were done with an Epson Perfection 4990 scanner using Epson's own scanning software. So that pretty much eliminates any conclusion that my problem could be said to flow solely from the use of the Nikon scanner/scanning software.

• 2. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
            Andrew_Hart Level 2

This will be posted in both the ACR and Bridge User Forums

I've done some experimentation and found a workaround for, not the solution to, my problem with ACR 6.2 and 6.3RC causing Bridge to display random TIFFs and JPGs overexposed.

This is a temporary, and, if you have lots of affected files, a very laborious, individual file workaround. Unless Adobe investigates, finds and corrects the cause of the problem, it seems likely to re-occur. Only fixing the cause of the problem (which must lie in the new (different from ACR 6.1) code of ACR 6.2 and 6.3RC) could be be truly regarded as a solution.

Here is how I enabled Bridge to display my affected TIFFs and TPGs correctly, that is, with no amount of overexposure. These steps apply equally to B&W and Colour images.

For a 16-bit TIFF, duplicate it in Bridge (Edit/Duplicate) and then open the duplicate in ACR 6.2 or 6.3RC (ACR) hosted by Bridge. Make sure that all the sliders are zeroed in the Main panel and that the Amount slider in the Sharpening section of the Details panel is also set to zero (to avoid unwanted additional sharpening). Then open the image in Photoshop (Ps) and immediately save the image (Save As) over itself (yes, you're replacing the file) back in the folder from which you opened it into ACR, making sure to choose no compression. The resaved duplicate will now be displayed with its proper exposure in Bridge, and any further TIFFs or JPGs (whether 16-bit or 8-bit) derived from this file will also be displayed correctly. Following this procedure, my invariable experience is that I end up with a TIFF either the same size as or smaller than the affected TIFF.

Why no compression? Strangely, if you choose LZW compression (really the only logical alternative to "None") you end up with a larger file than you get with no compression. I have no idea why. Why not simply fix the affected file instead of a duplicate? No reason really, other than safety. If things go belly-up you still have your original, albeit, affected file. I also intend to keep my affected files for awhile just in case of some possible desire or need to re-examine them in the future.

For an 8-bit TIFF, although I don't have any which are affected, the procedure would be the same as for a 16-bit TIFF. You will need to conduct your own tests regarding compression/no compression and the resulting file size.

For a JPG, the procedure is pretty much the same (duplicating, opening in ACR, zeroing all sliders, opening in Ps and then saving over itself) but when saving try choosing Maximum Quality (12) which mostly, for me at least, produces a replacement JPG the same size as the original affected file. Of course, you can choose a greater level of compression if you wish, and my tests show that this will not adversely affect the outcome. You can use the replacement JPG to produce further, derivative 8-bit TIFFs or JPGs and all will display properly exposed in Bridge.

• 3. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
              Level 4

That's quite an extensive and convoluted monologue you're conducting there, Mr. Andrew Hart. 

Why some people insist on routinely subjecting TIFFs and even JPEGs to a utility designed and optimized for raw data will forever remain totally beyond me, but it would be interesting to learn whether any other users are experiencing an issue with previews of TIFFs and JPEGs in ACR 6.3RC.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 4. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Please be sure your scanning software is configured to embed the correct color profile (e.g., sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc.) into the file containing the scanned image.

• 5. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

Hi Tai,

Agreed. About the length. Sorry, but I had to get the facts sorted accurately.

My use of ACR in relation to 16-bit TIFF scans (never JPGs) in the distant past was caused mainly because I only had Picture Window Pro and Lightroom - no Ps. So all the PWP edits had to remain as TIFFs.  Then I found that ACR was convenient for White Balance of the TIFFs and some other things.

Laterly, as you and Jeff S. have put me straight, Ps may be better suited for the TIFFs. Too late for a lot of them, as edits were completed and dispatched.

I just try to keep learning.

• 6. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                    Andrew_Hart Level 2

Eric,

Yes, as far as I can remember (the scans were all completed more than 2 years ago), the scanning software was configured to embed the sRGB colour profile.

In any event, when Ps was acquired subsequently, those profiles were definitely there (and I changed the profile of the B&W scans to Gray Gamma 2.2), long before the current problem arose. I have Bridge set up to display the colour profile of every image and constantly check it.

• 7. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                      Level 4

MadManChan2000 wrote:

Please be sure your scanning software is configured to embed the correct color profile (e.g., sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc.) into the file containing the scanned image.

You probably meant that post for the OP, so I just want to clarify that I see no such issue as he describes. 

• 8. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

If opening a TIFF in Camera Raw then on to Photoshop clears out the image, then somewhere, somehow some sort of metadata has been deposited in the TIFFs which ACR 6.2/6.3 is seeing. I would try opening on of the effected TIFFs, go through the entire settings and double check that nothing is being altered. You could also make sure the Default is really normal then create a preset that makes sure everything is at default (the settings you want) and try applying that preset in Bridge to other images affected...if the preset fixes the issue, it means somewhere, something has altered thos files and you need to elimiate that change.

• 9. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                          Hudechrome Level 2

None here, Tai.

I use ACR for tiffs when I want to use the WB control. After that, it is all PS.

But try as I might, I cannot get my system to exhibit the OP's behavior, so my tentative conclusion is that it isn' actually an ACR bug.

Jeff hit it correctly. I have problems with tiffs from DXO in ACR, not unlike the OP, but I know that it is they not Adobe to which I look for relief, if pressed into using their tiffs. Which I don't, so end of problem.

• 10. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                            Andrew_Hart Level 2

Jeff Schewe wrote:

"If opening a TIFF in Camera Raw then on to Photoshop clears out the image, then somewhere, somehow some sort of metadata has been deposited in the TIFFs which ACR 6.2/6.3 is seeing."

Interesting. A similar suggestion was made by Yammer P in post #1 in this thread in the Bridge forum:
                            http://forums.adobe.com/thread/712981?tstart=0

However, on my system, nothing has changed except for the upgrade from ACR 6.1 to ACR 6.2 or 6.3RC. The only programs, apart from Ps, Bridge and ACR, that get to view or open the affected TIFFs/JPGs are Windows Explorer and ThumbsPlus Ver 8. Since none of Ps, Bridge, Windows Explorer or ThumbsPlus have been updated, then the inference surely must be that, if ACR 6.2/6.3RC are indeed seeing some metadata in the TIFFs/JPGs which causes Bridge to display those TIFFs/JPGs as overexposed, then the metadata must have been put there by ACR 6.2/6.3RC themselves. And why would this only happen, apparently randomly, with some files and not others?

I keep coming back to central problem. It is Bridge, and not ACR 6.2/6.3RC (or Ps or ThumbsPlus or Windows Picture Viewer - just checked the last mentioned of these 3), which is displaying the overexposure, and it does not happen when ACR 6.1 is installed. I just can't see how the fault lies anywhere but with ACR 6.2/6.3RC.

• 11. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                              Andrew_Hart Level 2

As Jeff Schewe suggested, I've begun examining my affected files for possible extra metadata being seen by ACR 6.2/6.3RC and which might be causing Bridge to display overexposure.

I must confess that I simply don't understand the implied connection, that is, why something seen by ACR 6.2/6.3RC and not seen ACR 6.1 would cause Bridge itself, a completely separate and independent (or is it, really, "independent"?) program, to display a file as overexposed. Put that one aside for the moment.

Starting with my overexposed affected files which are simply copies of the original, unaffected TIFF scans, and which have not been edited, all I've examined so far (4) are just slightly larger in file size than the originals. A couple of example size increases, as reported by Bridge: 23.25 MB to 23.28 MB; 31.60 MB to 31.61 MB. So the increases are quite small.

Since the affected copy files and their unaffected originals are pixel-for-pixel identical (confirmed by a Difference blend mode comparison in Ps), then it would seem that, at least with respect to these copy files, the file size increases may well (or can we conclude "must" ?) be accounted for by additional metadata. One interesting, and comforting, thing is that when I now make copies of the 4 examined original TIFF scans in ACR 6.3RC, the copies all display correctly in Bridge and are exactly the same file size as the originals.

Assuming that there is indeed extra metadata present in the affected copy files, can anyone tell me how I can identify that additional metadata?

Using the Metadata tab in Bridge or any of the information revealed in the various tabs of the File Information dialog (Ctrl+I in Bridge) does not seem to yield any useful clues. This is probably because I don't know what to look for, so I would appreciate any assistance.

• 12. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

…I use ACR for tiffs when I want to use the WB control…

Easily accomplished jut as efficiently in Ps through Curves or Levels adjustments.

• 13. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                  Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

…I must confess that I simply don't understand the implied connection, that is, why something seen by ACR 6.2/6.3RC and not seen ACR 6.1 would cause Bridge itself, a completely separate and independent (or is it, really, "independent"?) program…

It is NOT.  Bridge is just a file browser, nothing more.  It doesn't open, manipulate or save files of any kind.  (Exception: as per some scripting wizzard, apparently it can somehow effect a save if you have the wherewithal—which I don't—to write a script to do it.) Bridge actually uses ACR in order to access the raw file and build a thumbnail or preview.

You can easily see that when you have raw files from a camera that is not yet supported in your installed version of ACR.  Bridge will display a generic icon or a poor thumbnail derived from the embedded JPEG in the raw file.

The intended main function of Bridge is to allow you to browse and then hand over the file to the appropriate application, whether that application be Photoshop, Camera Raw, Illustrator, Acrobat, Microsof Word or whatever.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 14. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                    Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

…the affected copy files and their unaffected originals are pixel-for-pixel identical (confirmed by a Difference blend mode comparison in Ps)…

Not necessarily a valid test.

Your monitor would not allow you to see differences that are below the black threshold of your display.

Check out post #63 in the thread in the link below for two more conclusive tests:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2857397#2857397

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 15. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                      Andrew_Hart Level 2

I stand corrected.

Your referenced post is extremely interesting and informative.

I shall muse over it further with great delight.

Thank you, Tai.

BTW, can you offer any assistance in relation to the question I asked in the post to which you responded?

• 16. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

Tai,

Sorry, missed your post #13, only saw #14 when replying previously.

Your info re Bridge only being a browser and relying on ACR was most helpful (did not understand that before today) and explains for me what Jeff Schewe was saying.

It seems like you have a very good understanding of how Bridge/ACR work. Do you know where I might start looking (and for what, precisely) for the extra metadata addressed in my post #11 ?

Thanks

• 17. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                          Hudechrome Level 2

WB in ACR accomplishes that task with far less guessing than Curves or Levels, the traditional way of WB, not to mention that once you set it in ACR for one image, it's simple to match other images from the same shooting conditions, weeks or months later.

Seems you are resistant to using ACR for anything other than RAW files, Tai.

• 18. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                            Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

…Seems you are resistant to using ACR for anything other than RAW files, Tai.

Oh, but I simply have no need to do that whatsoever, Larry. 

You see, I deal either with digital camera raw files or with scanned-negative TIFFs.  I never work on JPEGS—ever, ever, ever.  Every once in a blue moon I may have the unfortunate need to generate a JPEG to illustrate something online, as in these forums; but in that case I only generate the JPEG as the final step, I don't ever work on it.

Now, when scanning negatives, the scanning software—VueScan in my case—allows me to set the white point as easily and at least as accurately as ACR.  No need to bring the TIFF into ACR.   The TIFF comes out perfectly white-balanced.

Hudechrome wrote:

WB in ACR accomplishes that task with far less guessing than Curves or Levels…

But, but, but…  you surely don't mean to tell me that you have never experienced the joy of setting the white balance in Curves or Levels with a single, simple click of the gray eyedropper?      How is that any more "guessing" than in ACR and how could any other method involve "less" of anything?  

As we used to say in the old, fair forums, I'm kornfused, 

Cheers,

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 19. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                              Level 4

Andrew,

What little I know about Bridge and ACR I have learned from Jeff Schewe and from the late, lamented Bruce Fraser before him.  I wouldn't presume to be anywhere in that league.

Whatever is happening to your files is totally beyond the realm of my own personal experience.  I have no way of knowing what your software is doing to your files.  I do not run Snow Leopard, nor even the old Leopard.  My workflow is now very stable and well established:  Tiger 11.4.11, Photoshop 11.0.2, ACR 5.7, VueScan (it was 8.6.66 last time I updated it).

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 20. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                Level 4

Just went back ovr some of your old posts:

Andrew_Hart wrote:

…as far as I can remember (the scans were all completed more than 2 years ago), the scanning software was configured to embed the sRGB colour profile…

It may just be a matter of phrasing, but that statement leaves room for doubt.  If the scans were created in a different color space and then sRGB profile was embedded (without actually converting to it), that would mean trouble.

EDIT:  Though that would not account for the different displays effected by different versions of ACR. 

Message was edited by: Tai Lao

• 21. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                  Hudechrome Level 2

The assumption is that you actually have a gray area to sample.Lacking that, only two sliders are necessary to bring any image into balance in ACR with or without a gray area. With curves or Levels you have all three, for a total of 6 degrees of freedom (RGB, CMY) for PS, 4 for ACR WB. (BY, MG).

I scan using the Epson software, not Vue Scan. It's been a long time since I have scanned color so I don't remember exactly the step to balance white in the Epson method.

I also eschew jpeg except for posting on the web.

• 22. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                    Level 4

Hudechrome wrote:

The assumption is that you actually have a gray area to sample…

Yes, I was assuming there was a white balance card in one of the shots.

Anyway, totally getting rid of a color cast in Levels inside Photoshop is a three-step, fool-proof process when no neutral zones are present.  (Sufficiently motivated fools excluded, of course.)

• 23. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                      Hudechrome Level 2

Tai Lao wrote:

Anyway, totally getting rid of a color cast in Levels inside Photoshop is a three-step, fool-proof process when no neutral zones are present.  (Sufficiently motivated fools excluded, of course.)

One can do a SWAG in PS by using Auto Color as well, but mostly that is pretty ugly.

Pick your poison, I suppose.

Getting back to Andrew, I can only think of one way to get at your problem, attempting a solution, and that is a log file which shows all the settings in the metadata, comparing a version of the exact same image exhibiting this problem with one that doesn't such as what you obtain by resetting the parameters in Bridge as you did. Usually, this kind of detail in the logs is available to software writers examining their work when bugs appear, so perhaps someone like Noel or Eric Chan might be able to point you in the right direction.

• 24. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                        Level 4

This is certainly not the place to discuss color correction inside Photoshop.  Use whatever suits you, of course.

I wonder if the OP has double checked his ACR installation and/or has purged his Bridge cache..  It's very strange that no one else seems to have seen this very strange issue.

• 25. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                          ablichter Level 2
                                                          However, on my system, nothing has changed except for the upgrade from ACR 6.1 to ACR 6.2 or 6.3RC

Are you using XMP sidecar files or do you keep you ACR parameters in the DB? Or can it be, you uses them "randomly", because in one ACR versions you went for DB while you in the other forgot to switch to DB and created XMPs?

• 26. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                            Andrew_Hart Level 2

Thanks for the recent swag of responses.

ablichter #25:

I have always used XMP sidecar files in all versions of ACR.

Tai #24:

Yes, I have checked the ACR installation, in this manner. Starting with a perfectly functioning installation of the latest (current at the start and as of today as well - ie. no change) versions of Ps, Bridge and a perfectly functioning version of ACR 6.1 which, like every single version before it, displayed my presently affected TIFF and JPG files (derived from the original TIFF scans) with no overexposure. Did a system backup. Installed ACR 6.2 - problem present. Restored ACR 6.1 system backup, all fine. Reinstalled ACR 6.2, problem back again. Installed ACR 6.3RC over 6.2 using downloaded update from Adobe. No change, problem still there and affecting all the same files. Restored ACR 6.1 system backup - problem gone, all files displayed properly. Updated the ACR 6.1 installation with the 6.3CR installer, problem back again.

Yes, I have purged the Bridge cache, does not solve the problem.

There are at least a few others experiencing my problem. See this Bridge forum thread:
                                                            http://forums.adobe.com/thread/712981?tstart=0

Hudechrome (Larry?) #24:

Can you tell me how to generate the log file you speak of?

Tai #20:

I'm almost certain that the sRGB colour space was embeded at the time of the scans. I know just enough to be certain that if any image showed up subsequently in Ps having a different colour space then it would have been necessary to "convert" and not simply "assign". But I know that that did not happen. I know that subsequently in Ps I converted the B&W scans' colour spaces to Gray Gamma 2.2 and never experienced any problems with them, or derivatives, until the recent troubles after upgrading from ACR 6.1 to 6.2/6.3RC which, of course, also affected the Colour scan derivative TIFFs and JPGs.

Like you and Larry, I never process/edit JPGs, they are simply the end product of an edit cycle intended for distribution to friends for screen display or printing.

• 27. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                              Yammer Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

Do you know where I might start looking (and for what, precisely) for the extra metadata addressed in my post #11 ?

When I found a few NEF files "infected" with metadata, I confirmed this by using a Windows utility called RJ TextEd, which is a multi-purpose editor/viewer utility. At the end of the NEF file (which is displayed as gobbeldygook), there was a large block of text resembling an XMP file. I suppose you could search for a string like "adobe" or "vibrance".

• 28. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                Andrew_Hart Level 2

Thanks Yammer P.

Downloaded, installed and opened an affected file (142 MB) in the prog. It produces a hex dump - absolutely massive (it would take a week to wade thrrough it) and while I could recognise some obvious metadata, I have no idea whether it is additional or should or should not be there.

This sort of exercise is way too complex for me, I need something much simpler.

• 29. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                  Yammer Level 4

did you try a text search, or look at the end of the file?

• 30. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                    Hudechrome Level 2

Unfortunately, the log files I worked with were proprietary to the company I worked for. They were opened with an editor accessed on my machine.

I'm looking at the RJTextRd and haven't figured out how to actually open anything, even something as obvious as a Word file, so I am not at all even out of the start gate.

The gobblygook stuff is probably the image itself, and I would expect that one would want to eliminate that portion. If you want to try, use "Find" and search for specific words.

At any rate, what I would try is to have both an "infected" file and the same file that is cleared with your workaround and look for missing elements in the cleared file which reside in the "infected" file.

What to do about it is another question!

I would imagine that Adobe would want to know, even if they believe and can prove that the bug/defect isn't their problem. Having users search through log files on their own is asking a lot, imo.

And don't forget that one way. used often enough, is that something that has been classified as a possible bug which proves intractable within the release process are simply reclassified as a "feature" or reclassified from  "show stopper" to " later, alligator" and hope no one notices before the upgrade!

• 31. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                      Yammer Level 4

Yes, what to do is an entirely different matter.

Some of my NEF files seem to have Adobe metadata added on the end, including raw develop dettings. If I delete the files' sidecars, Bridge tells me that they have settings! If I clear the develop settings the sidecars reappear. It certainly had me scratching my head for a bit. One of my applications must have been adding xmp data to the NEF file. I wouldn't know how to remove it again. Maybe Nikon's software can do it.

• 32. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                        Hudechrome Level 2

That is puzzling. But, if it is coming say, from Nikon, we would all see it or some manifestation of it. Bugs that have been re-prioritized during

the release phase have never been denied as bugs, we all saw it. Here if it is a bug, it seems well hidden from folks who would be counted on to be able to spot it.

When I have seen tiffs behave as described here, I have been able to trace it back to the offender, like DXO adding data (which it does to the .dng versions of anything it does to a raw, but ACR reads it and passes it on intact) and act accordingly (which is to never use DXO tiffs in PS). This was validated by DXO support. But the tiff also looked different from the .dng in their UI as well.

• 33. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                          Andrew_Hart Level 2

Yammer P wrote:

No (would not know what to search for) and Yes (meaningless garbage, from recollection, but again, I would not know what should or should not be there, let alone appreciate if it might affect the brightness of Bridge's display).

This really needs the an offer of assistance from an ACR engineer, who presumably has had to do this sort of examination before in hunting down other anomalous behaviour.

I can supply the files (if you tell me how to get them to you). Any offers?

• 34. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                            Hudechrome Level 2

...and most likely, the best tools to do it.

It's no small matter. I did open, in RJ TextEd, some nef's and their xml files, and it is all there but what is normal and what is anomalous? I would assume mine are "normal" but are they?

• 35. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                              Yammer Level 4

Andrew_Hart wrote:

Yammer P wrote:

No (would not know what to search for) and Yes (meaningless garbage, from recollection, but again, I would not know what should or should not be there, let alone appreciate if it might affect the brightness of Bridge's display).

If you can imagine, a solid block of meaningless characters, through most of the file listing. But scroll to the very end of the file, and there is then recognisable text, in a similar format to the text in a sidecar/xmp file, like the contents of an xmp have been appended to binary data.

• 36. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                                01af Level 1

Today it happened to me—"overexposed" JPEG files in Bridge 4.0.3 when applying settings through Camera Raw 6.3RC.

I had this probem earlier with both Camera Raw 6.2RC and 6.2. So I reverted back to Camera Raw 6.1 which apparently does not suffer from this issue.

On my Windows XP SP3 32-bit machine (CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+; graphics card ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro), I switched to Camera Raw 6.3RC the day it became available at Adobe Labs and used it ever since with no problems. Yet.

But today, when exporting 30 JPEG images (which come from a Sony A900) with ACR settings to a Lightroom Flash Gallery using Bridge's Output module, two of them came out way too bright. In Bridge, they appear just fine, both in the thumbnail view and the preview window. In Camera Raw 6.3RC hosted in Bridge, they're fine too. In the Flash Gallery, they're blown—too bright by the equivalent of approx. 1 or 1.5 f-stops.

So for now I am back to Camera Raw 6.1 again

• 37. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

This will be fixed in the final release.

• 38. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                                    Yammer Level 4

MadManChan2000 wrote:

Eric, has this bug got anything to do with the blue PV exclamation mark appearing on some JPEGs opened in Camera Raw?

• 39. Re: ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed
                                                                                      Andrew_Hart Level 2

MadManChan2000 wrote:

Thanks Eric.

Any guestimate of when that might be? Even roughly? Just wanted an idea of whether or not

I will bother to switch back to 6.1 in the meantime - would only do that if the wait may be lengthy.

1 2 Previous Next