24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 12:23 PM by Brozufil

I have to render to watch smooth playback help!

Brozufil

I meet all the requirements so hardware isn't the problem. Plus I can watch it smoothly in the monitor and once rendered, what's going on!

Is there a way I can render it all once and for all, so I don't have to render every 2 seconds?

I've tried every single sequence preset and that didn't work either.

And yes I have the new update, hardware or software, or whatever isn't the problem. I've been working with Premiere Pro for 6 years now.

Please help.

thanks, I really appreciate it, is very important

• 1. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
          JaysonM-Y-Vzqtgy

Brozufil wrote:

I meet all the requirements so hardware isn't the problem.

Let us be the Judge of that... post your system specs regardless.(the only people who don't do that are the ones who we already know what they've got.)

Brozufil wrote:

Is there a way I can render it all once and for all

What materials are you working with? I'm suspecting that it's not the usual codecs or you're doing heavy animations/blendings/Or visual tweeks?

You will have to explain your workflow and the materials used.

• 2. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
            RDA972 Level 3

"What materials are you working with?"

In addition to answering that question, I suggest you check the Average Data Rate of your different files.

Right-click on the files in the Project Bin and choose Properties.

Files with high average data rates will tax your system forcing you to render to get smooth playback.

As you know, this is a time-consuming and frustrating process.

• 3. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
              Brozufil Level 1

oh ok, sorry for not writing them first.

I really hope I can meet at least the minimum requiertments because I can't afford to buy anything else.

Here my specs:

Intel Core2 Duo

4GB of ram

my hard disk still have 139 GB available of space.

GeForce GTX 470

win7

And what I'm editing is a simple avi file recorded with my laptop webcam. And no, I am not trying to do any, absolutely ANY editing on it, no effects or anything. Right after I put it in the edit panel, the playback it's choppy, like slow and pauses, while in the monitor panel is completely smooth and perfect; I am not editing it or adding any effects, once is in the edit panel Can you please tell me what to disable or check in my preferences? or what sequence preset I need? (I've tried them all)

Thanks

Here the details of the clip:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e4n8-x1459I/TM2hbvJIHZI/AAAAAAAABoI/zqRXEd9ghNo/s1024/sio.png

• 4. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                JaysonM-Y-Vzqtgy Level 1

what version of premier are you using? You might want to convert the clip to a different codec.... I'm not sure what codec a web cam converts to....

• 5. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                  Brozufil Level 1

Here is the properties of the file once imported to my Premiere Pro CS5:

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 93.3 MB

Image Size: 1600 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 15.00

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00;00;27;03

Average Data Rate: 3.4 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 6. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm not surprised that a Core2Duo with only 4 GB memory and a single hard disk is overwhelmed with this source material. The system is plain underpowered and does not meet minimum requirements with only a single disk.

• 7. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                      Brozufil Level 1

That's not what the system requirements page says, sir.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs

And I've worked with way much more raw material than that simple webcam avi file.

I've worked with completely HD and blueray, with astonishing and very well playback, no problems at all.

• 8. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                        SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

A Core 2 Duo will suffice for certain types of footage but not others. AVIs can carry in them many codec types, some simple but others that can be quite expensive to decode. Your webcam may fall into the expensive category. Meeting the bare minimum requirements is no guarentee that all footage that you will come across will be performant. Rendering a preview as you mention in your original post generates a new file in a different codec so it is not terribly surprising that this might play in real time. You really only have a few options here, upgrade your computer, render previews, or transcode to another format.

• 9. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                          Brozufil Level 1

To what do I have to transcode the format? Because last night I change it's format from AVI to MPEG-4 and THAT didn't work either.

• 10. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                            JaysonM-Y-Vzqtgy Level 1

LOL. you changed it from one compressed codec to another highly compressed codec.

Also that monitor sized footage you're trying to work with is going to be a pain, especially in h.264, wmv or mpeg4.

Does it have to be that large on output? I'd recommend either cropping / scaling and converting your footage down to an SD file type(horrible quality but will provide smooth playback on your system DV)..

Brozufil wrote:

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 93.3 MB

Image Size: 1600 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 15.00

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00;00;27;03

Average Data Rate: 3.4 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

These settings are just begging for trouble on your system. And I'm betting that the file type came out as h.264 or Mpeg4 from your camera already.

• 11. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Convert to Lagarith or uncompressed unless you want further quality hits.

• 12. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                Brozufil Level 1

JaysonM-Y I don't want cellphone type of quality, is enough to export it as WMV with ok quality, so what WMV type of quality codec/format you recommend?

• 13. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                  JaysonM-Y-Vzqtgy Level 1

I said h.264, wmv and mpeg4 are formats you should do your best to stay away from trying to edit.

Harm mentionedhttp://lags.leetcode.net/codec.htmlLagarith which if it's a short edit should be fine.... I'm not sure how your 1600x1200 is gonna work out tho I'd scale it down a little if it still gives trouble.

• 14. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                    fincaman2 Level 1

Sorry but I have to agree with the experts your specs only creep into the bottom end of what is necessary, I have found this by painful experience, I have a 4core i7, 6gb of ram and 3 x 1tb Samsung F3 spinpoints, I have just ordered two more spinpoints three 4gb memory sticks and an overclocked GTX460 video card in an effort to finally cure choppy playback in PP CS5. I will give you one tip that helped me, Windows Aero screen themes are very resource hungry, right click on your screen, choose personalize, scroll down and select Windows 7 basic or Windows classic. this made a massive difference for me. Good Luck.

• 15. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                      Brozufil Level 1

Thanks, I don't have the Aereo theme though.

I really refuse to believe is just my specs because I've been able to play higher quality material... so it's seems pretty impossible, that out of sudden, lower quality material requires MORE specs... but ok...

• 16. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

OK, it is not your specs. Your system is only marginally slower that a fast system, by a factor 100 timer slower, so it is not the specs, right?

• 17. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                          Brozufil Level 1

If it's so slow, how is it possible for it to run smoothly HIGHER quality material, but not a lower simple webcam footage.

• 18. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Higher-vs-lower quality is not the real key... the main thing is the CODEC used, and the amount of compression in that codec

My Canon Vixia creates AVCHD which edits very well in my i7 computer... this is a HIGHLY compressed format, which requires a "strong" computer to decode and play during edit - read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 (I also have 3 hard drives to spread the file read/write load so no one drive becomes bound up and causes delays)

I bought a Flip for my wife to use (not good with technology, so there is no way she's going to touch my $1k camera) since it has TWO buttons to operate (power and a BIG red start/stop button)

The MP4 files from that camera are compressed about the same as the MTS from the Canon, and edit very well on MY computer

Her Pentium E5400 dual-core with 4Gig ram and 2 hard drives (and the old Premiere Pro 2 I had on the shelf) is simply not powerful enough to decompress that video "on the fly" for editing... so I convert to DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound using PPro5 and then copy to her less powerful computer

She is able to work with those less compressed files on her computer, so she may play around as much as she likes, to finally create a DVD of her garden for out of state friends & relatives

You need a more powerful computer

• 19. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Define HIGHER quality. Better codec, better resolution, better color space, better glass, what?

• 20. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                                Brozufil Level 1

ok, thanks girls, your right, I need a better computer but, I'm not too rich and famous to afford one :/

Plus I don't plan on doing a Steven Spielberg movie to buy a spaceship computer. It was just a 3 minutes clip, but I'm almost done with it. After "rendering" every 2 seconds, I'm finally done...

I'll upload it to youtube but I'm sure you guys are not too much interested

• 21. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

You have hit on a major misconception. Too many are blindsided when they go to AVCHD material. They assume that footage from a pro-sumer camera should be more difficult to work with, than AVCHD from a consumer camera. In many cases, that is not true. They cannot fathom that the AVCHD material will likely require a much more powerful computer - the camera salesperson never mentioned THAT. Other formats can also require major processing horsepower to smoothly edit.

Another misconception is that something like DV-AVI with its large file size, MUST be more difficult to edit, than some highly-compressed format/CODEC with smaller file sizes. The file size has nothing to do with it, just the CODEC used and how easy that is for the computer to handle/process.

Hunt

• 22. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My previous computer (Intel D875PBZ motherboard with Pentium4 3.2Ghz and ATI Radeon 9600xt and 2 Gig DDR 400 Ram and 2 hard drives and PPro3) worked OK with standard definition AVI from a tape camcorder... albeit a bit slow when it came time to have Encore transcode the AVI to create a DVD (so I would just start the process before I went to bed and it was done and the ISO was created when I got up in the morning)

When I decided to switch to HD and CS5, I read every hardware message there was for about 6 months... even before CS5 was released... to decide what hardware to buy to build a new computer (link in my last message)

Knowing ahead of time that a highly compressed codec was going to require a "strong" computer, I made sure to buy the best I could afford... and I have not been disappointed in the advice I've received from this forum

To the OP - refuse to believe all you want, but you have people here who use PPro to make a living (not me, I'm just a home hobbyist) plus the people who wrote the http://ppbm5.com/ benchmark all telling you that you need a more powerful computer to EFFECTIVELY use PPro5

Yes, you can use PPro5 with a "minimal" computer... as long as you are prepared to wait and render and wait some more

But, if you don't want to wait and render and wait some more you need to start saving to build a better computer

Added - as far as editing a highly compressed -vs- less compressed format...

The DV AVI files I create for my wife's computer are about 13Gig per hour, so the files are large but the CPU requirements are much less... for her to edit, I simply bought a 1Terabyte hard drive for all of her video files (that will give her several years of video file space at her usual 5-15 minutes per subject)

The MTS/MP4 files are actually smaller at about 12Gig per hour, for HiDef, so while the data transfer requirement is similar, those files require a MUCH faster and more powerful CPU to decode during editing

Her Flip camera was about $140 and my Canon Vixia was about $1k but they BOTH require a strong computer to edit natively without conversion

So, Hunt is right... people buy an inexpensive camera like the Flip and are then surprised that their old computer is not up to the job of editing such a "consumer" format

• 23. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                                      JaysonM-Y-Vzqtgy Level 1

You paid no attention to what i wrote... did you Brozufill...

• 24. Re: I have to render to watch smooth playback help!
                                                        Brozufil Level 1

Yes I did sir, I'm now learning how to change it codecs