only fix I could come up with is reformatting the whole computer from
      scratch loosing everything we were working on...any Ideas out there
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
          JaysonM-Y-Vzqtgy

philskyler wrote:

reformatting the whole computer from

scratch loosing everything we were working on

So you don't have adequate back up? like an external drive to temporarily store media/project files on until you've finished wiping the systems?

You need to work on that.

philskyler wrote:

running a large tech classroom with imacs and CS5
          snow leopard..

LOL. Snow leopard... lol. I'm still running 10.4 and I'm quiet satisfied with it not causing EVERYTHING to crash.

philskyler wrote:

1 by 1 computers are refusing to open premiere pro
          projects and refusing to open at all...

Have you updated recently?

Have you tried deleting preference(com.adobe.blahblablah.plist) files?

Has anyone or everyone shared a particular project/messed with system settings/installed stuff that you can remember?

Have you run the necessary maintenance tasks in safe boot; verify disk permissions/ Repair Disk Permissions(almost the same as the first step)/ Running Monthly scripts? (using onyx would be a big help)?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Are your Projects, and/or Assets on a networked drive?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
              philskyler Level 1

ok...yes I have tried the whole repair and verify disk etc..and I do  have my students save their media, but I stillcould not get premiere to open...keeps giving me an error.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
                philskyler Level 1

What is......

using onyx would be a big help

Thanks everyone

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
                  philskyler Level 1

And no I dont use a netork drive

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
                    minkyv

Had a similar problem with a previous version in a campus enviornment

...Premiere would not open on the second day of class. Turned out that the networking software (Novell) was wiping clean user profiles overnight which had the install authentication stored. Solutuion involved removable drives that did not have the networking software installed.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 Wont Open "A serious error has occured"
                      remcodevries

Hi,

I hope you figured out a solution to your problem by now. I am actually quit curious what your solution was...

I have the same message. Premiere crashes almost immediately when I start it up and when a timeline/sequence is opened. When I start a new project and when I don't choose sequence settings then Premiere starts up normal as an empty project. I can import files then. When I make a new sequence the hassle starts. Then the crashes occur. Mostly immediately on opening the sequence. Sometimes after it is opened and when scrolling through the timeline. But it never stays opened for more than a minute.

There is a clue, when I start up After Efefcts first, then Premiere is a bit more stabile. I can run the program a bit longer then (two minutes or so). So some how After Efefcts loads a kind of engine or something (I think) that makes Premiere last a bit longer.

The footage I load or the sequence settings don't matter. I have tested several settings and imported many different footages, also audio or pictures, it crashes at everything. But as soon as Premiere has to show footage from a timeline or an empty timeline in the monitor, the hassle starts.

Is this problem known to anyone else?

I use a Mac Pro late 2008, 2 x 4-core intel XEON (8 x 2.26) with 10 GB ram. I use a NVIDIA GT 120 card (it was the standard card in 2008).

Everything is up to date (through Adobe updater and OSX software update).

I use OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

If anyone has an idea, please...?

PS: this trouble has been going on for over a year by now. I was used to Premiere from my old days on Windows, then I bought a Mac and Premiere has had this trouble ever since I bought the CS5 suite. Haven't found a solution so therefor I quickly learned working on FCP. I like Premiere better, only it doesn't work, hmmm.... No FCP has released FCP X, a good time to go back to premiere...