describe what you're doing if you want help. if you're using code, copy and paste your (relevant only) code.
Did you convert the photo into a symbol? Are you using the classic tween (what you would know from MX)?
I follow these steps and do not get a fade. I have tried motion tween and classic tween, neither works.
- In a new layer draw any vector object, say a circle. Convert the object into a graphic symbol (select the object and click F8) and name it, say 'g_circle'.
- Insert Keyframe (F6) in the 20th frame and create a Motion Tween from frame 1 to 20.
- Click the 10th frame on the timeline and insert a Keyframe (F6).
- Click the 'g_circle' instance displayed in the 10th frame and give it an Alpha value of 40%
- Save your work and test the Movie
if, by motion tween you mean a classic tween, the steps you described will work. if you use the cs5 motion tween, well... you won't be able to use the cs5 motion tween with those steps.
I follow the listed steps and it does not work whether I motion tween or classic tween.
works for me: www.kglad.com/Files/forums/Untitled-2.fla