6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 5:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Moving from PC to MAC

Jonnie C

I've been using PE on a PC for some time and I''ve got a couple of half-completed  projects on the go using PE8.

I've been trying out my kids' Apple Mac Pro and I want to move over to a MAC myself.  I loaded up the PE9 trial on the Mac and it works fine.  However I soon realised I could not copy over my part-completed projects and finish them off on the Mac version as the PC and Mac versions are not compatible.

I really want to move from PC to Mac so what would you recommend....

1. Buy PE9 PC version and run it on the Mac using Boot Camp so I can access and use my existing PE projects?
      2. Buy PE9 Mac version and create new Mac version projects by reading in the AVI file of my completed (PC version) projects if I wish to access them, modify them or burn a DVD in the future? Any other ideas on how to convert from PE PC to Mac?
      3. Give Final Cut Express a try?

Thanks in advance for your views...

Jon

• 1. Re: Moving from PC to MAC
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All three options will work.

You can not open a Mac version project on a PC and vice versa. But you can certainly run a PC version in Boot Camp and you can certainly use DV-AVIs as source footage on the Mac version of Premiere Elements.

Final Cut Express is also an excellent program -- but with a bit of a learning curve. It all depends on which editing environment you're most comfortable in. And that's why you should always download the free trial before you purchase!

• 2. Re: Moving from PC to MAC
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though older versions' PREL (Project files) will often Open and edit fine in later versions, I strongly recommend completing all Projects in the version, in which they were started. As Steve points out, the Projects are not fully X-platform. PrPro does a better job of this, with some glaring exceptions. Even if one can get a Project from the PC Open on the Mac, there would likely be issues, and one would spend more time trying to make it all work, than just using the previous version and platform, to complete.

If that is not possible, then I would recommend doing all necessary editing in the original version/platform, and then doing a Share/Export to an appropriate format/CODEC, and then Importing that/those resultant file(s) into a New Project in the new version on whichever platform one is working. Final assembly and Share/Export to the desired delivery scheme would be done there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Moving from PC to MAC
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Bill, you absolutely can not open a PC Premiere Elements project to open on a Mac version of the program. That much is indisputable.

• 4. Re: Moving from PC to MAC
                the_wine_snob Level 9

That is the way it is in Adobe Encore - no X-platform compatibility at all.

Really good reason to finish everything in the original version, even if one does install the PC version of PrE on the Mac with Bootcamp, or similar.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Moving from PC to MAC
                  Jonnie C Level 1

Thanks for your views.

I'll finish up my projects with my PC PE8 and then start all new projects with the Mac version of PE9.

Jon

• 6. Re: Moving from PC to MAC
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jon,

On several levels, I think that you will be much happier with that scheme.

Good luck,

Hunt