5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 6:21 AM by billyudi

Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem

son-roc
      If anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

I have the following error message: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem when trying to publish files to 'one' of my folders. all other folders seem ok.

The website has a deep file structure and it's likely that contribute will assign more then 31 characters as a filename. I've checked this as my client has been unsuccessfully trying to upload from a mac. Although I am have the same issues with a pc.

We created some sybolic links higher up in the file stucture the same error message appeared.

File permisions for that folder are set to 775. it contains another folder whose permisions are 644.

I noticed that when accessing the folder with dreamweaver the design notes seems to slow the process of opening.

Well thats all I know. Hoping someone somewhere will be able to shed more light on the issue. thanks - me.
        • 1. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem
          arao2k6 Level 2
          Hi ,

This seems to be a permission problem with the folder you are trying to publish pages to. Please make sure that the username you used to connect to the website has write permissions to the folder.
          The folder permission is set to 644 , make sure that you are the owner(or belong to user group) of the folder; as GROUP and OTHERS have only read permission !!

read - 4
          write - 2
          execute -1

Hope this helped.
          • 2. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem
            akamax
            After installing a trial version of Contribute 3 on a clients machine, I was getting this error and came here because he did not purchase the software and Adobe doesn't provide support unless you purchase it. But it turned out his ISP had made changes on the server. That was the issue. So, check that out.
            • 3. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem
              ShiverSol
              We're having the same issue,

Contribute 3, version 3.1, Win 2003 server, all permissions ok via FTP client.

"Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem"

Contribute creates a lock file and deletes the lock file on publish (we checked via FTP) but after publishing and then trying to re-edit the page it shows as locked i.e. "This page is being edited by another user" even though there is no lock file on the server - I cant stress this enough - there is no lock file.

Support is pants and just keeps sending us the same help file on what a lock file is and what it does, after not ringing us back for 3 days, then lost or case number. We're now on our 3rd call for the same issue. Poor effort.

So, we still have the issue of the locked page with no lock file (checked via FTP), as admin if you delete the lock file (even though theres definately not one there) you get the "Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem" error.

On returning to the page it shows the same message "You can't edit this page now because its being edited on another computer. Click here to make this page editable." - there is no lock file :)

The error is obviously due to the lock file not being there, although contribute thinks it is hense "...The file may not exist,..." in the error message.

Contribute can not tell that the lock file has been deleted on publish or removed by the admin.

Any ideas...

Thanks for reading all that :)
              Justin
              • 4. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem
                genuous
                Hello,

I am having very similar problem. I have a site that I just moved to servers where I have other sites funcitoning great, but the prob with this site is when I set it up, I made the mistake of downloading a trial version of C4, the customer uses C2, and isn't interested in upgrading, can't blame him considering the 'net' Contribute gets users in.

At this time, I see no .lck files in the remote site, but when the user who is an administrator attempts to connect, he sees error that he cannot edit this site because me, my email address is currently editing it. I have removed myself from the C4 user roles, but he still gets message that I am editing. Again, there are NO .lck files. What else holds user information on the server that could linger after the user logs out?

Thanks!!
                • 5. Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem
                  billyudi

I was getting the "access denied" error every time I attempted to edit a page on a particular Contribute website. Then, after reading the thread at Just Skins, I deleted/published old drafts associated with that website. Now everything works correctly.

The draft that caused the problem had 1) the lock removed by a Dreamweaver user, 2) template changes since the draft was created, and 3) nothing in common with the pages where I received the error.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.twitter.com/leefloyd