16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2010 11:03 AM by KariHovda

Why small files will become large in cast!

aliseghat

Hi

I use Director 11.5.

My problem:

After  importing many jpg and gif picture files to a cast i see the size of cast has become 10-12 times larger than the total size of importing files.

For exam i import 100 picture files totaly 20MB and after that i see size of cast become 240MB!!!

What must to do for adding pictures to a cast without this problem?(i want after importing 20MB pictures size of the cast become equal 20MB)

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Try using "Save and compact" instead of plain "Save". Part of the reason for the size increase is because JPEGs are "re-created" upon import from their compressed data - there's nothing you can do about this.

• 2. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
            aliseghat Level 1

Sean_Wilson wrote:

Try using "Save and compact" instead of plain "Save". Part of the reason for the size increase is because JPEGs are "re-created" upon import from their compressed data - there's nothing you can do about this.

I imported 30MB and used "save and compact" but it become 378MB be like i did not use save and compact.

for solving this problem i have converted bitmap files to swf file but it used very time.

Is'nt any other way?

• 3. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
              Mike Blaustein Level 4

I do not see what the big problem is.  The huge cast thing is only in authoring.  Director saves an uncompressed version of your images so it has a full quality verion to work with.  When you make a projector or publish the movie to shockwave, it will compress them, so your final version will not be that huge.  It is only the authoring version that is over large.  And you can control the compression rate in the Publish Settings dialog to make it fit whatever size you want.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                aliseghat Level 1

Mike Blaustein wrote:

I do not see what the big problem is.  The huge cast thing is only in authoring.  Director saves an uncompressed version of your images so it has a full quality verion to work with.  When you make a projector or publish the movie to shockwave, it will compress them, so your final version will not be that huge.  It is only the authoring version that is over large.  And you can control the compression rate in the Publish Settings dialog to make it fit whatever size you want.

I want to create CD and not Shockwave when I publish my project it do not  decrease size of casts!

• 5. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                  Production Monkey Level 3

Projectors can run all three Director file types - dir, dxr, and dcr. A "dcr" is simply a compressed and protected version of your "dir".

Personally I recommend using DCRs exclusively because they provide far better protection of your assets, will deliver better performance off of a CD_ROM, and of course smaller file sizes.

Try this experiment:

1. Copy your file into a new folder and rename your file to "Main.dir".

2. Open Director. Double click on the first frame of the "Frame Script Channel" and add this code.

on exitFrame me
                         go(1,"main")
                       end

3. Save the file as “Stub.dir” in the same folder as “Main.dir” and then Publish.   You just created a "Stub" projector. This is a standard practice among Director developers. Since the publishing setting are set to default, your program should come up in the projector. Close it.

4. Go to the menu and select Xtras->Update Movies...->Convert to Shockwave Movie(s). Select "Main.dir" and click the "Proceed" button and any "Okay" buttons. Note: All “Convert to Shockwave” does is create a “dcr” file.

5. Open the folder containing your “Main” file. It should be reasonably small. Double-Click “Stub.exe” and your program should run just fine.

• 6. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                    aliseghat Level 1

Thanks all friends for trying to solve my problem.

• 7. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                      aliseghat Level 1

but please say me why CST file is not compress when become CXT? or there is a way for comprestsing cxt that i do not know?

• 8. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!

Create a cct file.

Xtras->Update Movies...->Convert to Shockwave Movie(s)

• 9. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                          aliseghat Level 1

Production Monkey wrote:

Create a cct file.

Xtras->Update Movies...->Convert to Shockwave Movie(s)

Thanks.

After  you helping me in older post i made shockwave. and cast become the best small.

But i want to know can i decrease cast like cct but making CXT?

also i want to know what is difference between (CXT, DXR) and (CCT, DCR)?

• 10. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!

If you compressed a CXT what would it become?.... a CCT - a compressed version of a CXT. So what would you gain?

If you want compressed files then use CCT and DCR and ignore the word "Shockwave". It has no meaning in this context. These are not "Shockwave" files. They are just compressed and protected versions of your authoring files.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                              aliseghat Level 1

Production Monkey wrote:

If you compressed a CXT what would it become?.... a CCT - a compressed version of a CXT. So what would you gain?

If you want compressed files then use CCT and DCR and ignore the word "Shockwave". It has no meaning in this context. These are not "Shockwave" files. They are just compressed and protected versions of your authoring files.

Thanks

• 12. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                                martingr Level 1

i have found that reducing the bit depth can also help

image as not all images have to be 32 bit - you can

import them as 24 bit and then go to

Modify -> Transform Bitmap

to reduce the bit depth even further.

• 13. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                                  KariHovda

Are you using Photoshop or some other image editor? We had the same problem when rendering 2D-images from Maya, they became extremely big in Director, - it turned out that the Alpha layer or the "invisible part" of the image was counted as part of the image. When we looked at them in paint window in Director, the background was black instead of white. Maybe your problem is something similar? We made a batch job just opening and saving everything in Photoshop, and the images were the correct small size again... (Photoshop thought they were small all the time, - just Director thougth the images were big..)

• 14. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                                    aliseghat Level 1

martingr wrote:

i have found that reducing the bit depth can also help

image as not all images have to be 32 bit - you can

import them as 24 bit and then go to

Modify -> Transform Bitmap

to reduce the bit depth even further.

I exam that you said, but it has not made any difference in CXT files !

only Shockwave make reduce.

• 15. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                                      aliseghat Level 1

KariHovda wrote:

Are you using Photoshop or some other image editor? We had the same problem when rendering 2D-images from Maya, they became extremely big in Director, - it turned out that the Alpha layer or the "invisible part" of the image was counted as part of the image. When we looked at them in paint window in Director, the background was black instead of white. Maybe your problem is something similar? We made a batch job just opening and saving everything in Photoshop, and the images were the correct small size again... (Photoshop thought they were small all the time, - just Director thougth the images were big..)

Also after updating cast to shockwave whether it is very big?

• 16. Re: Why small files will become large in cast!
                                        KariHovda Level 1

hi, yes it's still bigger than it should be, but of course it gets smaller when you convert to shockwave.