19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2016 4:23 AM by fnkyyr

Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript

Stijn Debrouwere Level 1

Howdy folks,

New here, but I come bearing gifts. I've just open-sourced Extendables, a small framework that simplifies ExtendScript coding. Check it out at http://extendables.org and the documentation at http://extendables.org/docs/.

Extendables isn't a whiz-bang does-everything-for-you kind of framework, but if you're doing any serious scripting, it will definitely make your life easier. It includes some of the newer Javascript 1.6+ Array methods like forEach, useful shortcuts/monkeypatches and modules for logging, HTTP connections and creating user interfaces. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

With the rise of server-side Javascript (you might've heard of node.js, Narwhal or Rhino), there's a growing number of libraries and frameworks out there which don't depend on a browser to work, so the timing felt right to tap into that ecosystem as well for our own profit. For example unit testing is provided by a slightly tweaked Jasmine, which is a great DOM-less Javascript testing framework.

Do note that this release is halfway between a teaser and a working product. Some parts aren't feature-complete, like the HTTP library. Other parts are experimental. There's no common style yet. The UI helpers have a domain-specific language vibe and so does the unit testing library. The HTTP library and a couple of other parts work entirely getter/setter-based (think jQuery). But in other parts I've tried to stay close to how ExtendScript works out of the box, so that it'd feel intuitive for long-time scripters.

It's pretty stable, but I've only been able to test it out on my own system (InDesign CS4 — that's all I have a license for), so I've labeled it an alpha release regardless.

If you're up for that, do feel free to contribute via GitHub, either by helping to flesh out the core framework, by reviewing the documentation or by making your own module packages. There's already a lot of collective wisdom and code snippets out there, and it probably wouldn't hurt to bring some of that together and release it as proper packages.

I guess what I'm saying is: try it out, skim through the docs, let me know what you like, don't like or would like to see. I'd be happy to keep in touch with any tester over Google Talk, mail or IRC, to help sort out any inevitable kinks you might encounter.

(I've put a similar message over at my blog, but feel free to continue the conversation over here.)

• 1. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Hi Stijn, and welcome to the party!

(Your extendables.org links return a 502 for now, but that may get fixed automagically.)

How does this work? I mean, not down to the nitty gritty internal details, but in practice -- is this a replacement for the system-wide Javascript parser? Can I write my scripts as usual, save them into ID's Scripts folder, and run them from within ID?

• 2. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
            Stijn Debrouwere Level 1

Yes, a little DNS issue that should magically disappear soon :-)

Extendables is actually a framework or a library, depending on how you use it. If you just include the extendables.jsx file at the top of a script, you get a bunch of extra methods on top of existing object prototypes (like String, Array, ...) and a couple of libraries you can load in using var lib = require("thislibrary"); So you don't need to change existing scripts: you just get a bunch of extra stuff that's there if you want it, or that you can ignore if you don't.

But you can also create your own libraries/modules, and those do need a certain directory and code layout to get picked up by Extendables. Modules serve mainly to be able to separate helper libraries from your actual script, and to be able to load those libraries using require(). The advantage to modules is mainly that you don't have to pollute your global namespace, because require() puts whatever functions and variables you make available inside of your module into a variable, whereas with #include, you never really know what you're getting unless you check the included file.

Hope that helps.

Stijn

• 3. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
              Harbs. Level 6

Hi Stijn and welcome!

Nice work!

I've actually been doing some work myself recently on converting my personal UI library into something which can be consumed by the general public. Mine is more geared towards increased functionality and ease of creating standard elements. It's not as fine-grained as what you've done.

Harbs

• 4. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                michielvoo Level 1

JavaScript 1.6+, DOM shortcuts, CommonJS-type namespaces, unit testing, UI library... this framework seems to have all the right ideas!

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                  Stijn Debrouwere Level 1

Thanks Michiel and Harbs!

@Harbs: that's right on the money, the Extendables UI library makes UI development a little easier and faster, but its main purpose is to get rid of messy code that intermingles structure and presentation. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

• 7. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                    Marc Autret Level 4

This is an amazing and huge project!

Thanks for sharing :-)

@+

Marc

[ Question: how behave Extendables' conditional #include directives when compiling a project as .jsxbin? ]

• 8. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                      Stijn Debrouwere Level 1

Hi Marc,

Thanks! I tried to mail you earlier in the hopes you'd have some time to put up a short message on Indiscripts, but my message got rejected as spam so I guess that never reached you.

As it happens, I've been thinking about how to do jsxbins for larger projects, and for Extendables-based projects especially. #include statements are not be the biggest problem — require() and extract() statements probably are. I guess that's the drawback of the module loader system.

I've been working on a Python script that inlines every last bit of code, producing a single (huge) file that would contain Extendables, any other packages plus your own script files. It works by replacing every include, require and extract with the files it actually loads, as well as by expanding certain variables like $.fileName. Once you have that file, you can easily run it through the Google Closure Compiler and/or make a jsxbin out of that. I'm thinking of open-sourcing that script, though I'm still in doubt — I do have to make some money, after all :-)

• 9. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                        Marc Autret Level 4

Hi Stijn,

Sorry for the rejection of your comment: Indiscripts spam filter is probably too harsh -- although I still get a lot of unfiltered ads...

Let's continue the discussion by email...

@+

Marc

• 10. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi Stijn,

I can't wait to give your framework a try. I was getting sick using ESTK

As others pointed out, thanks for sharing you very expected project !

Loic

• 11. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                            Marc Autret Level 4

First try here:

http://www.indiscripts.com/post/2010/11/my-first-extendables-script-for-indesign

(Unicode Character infos box using the Extendables' http library.)

Cool!

Marc

• 12. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                              Krishna V Level 1

Hello,

I have been trying to use this framework with Indesign, but I am unable to get it working. I will appreciate your help on this. Below is the code that I am trying.

So far, what I have understood is that this framework does not work with any authentication parameters and I think I have seen some where that it's not yet implemented. Is that correct? If so, could some one help me on how would I be able to get this working?

Thank you so much for the help.

Indesign code:

var auth=new Object();
                                     auth.username="admin";
                                      auth.password="admin";
                                      var auth = { username:'admin', password:'admin'};
                                      var response = http.get("http://localhost:4502/content/geometrixx/en/company/news/articles/jcr:content/par/text.htm l",auth,5);

alert(response.body);
                                      if (response.status_code == 200) {
                                         alert(response.body);
                                      } else {
                                          alert("Connection failed");
                                      }

Result:

It fails at the runtime by pointing the ExtendScript debugger at the line number 137 in object.conversions.jsx. The line 137 is : throw RangeError("This method cannot convert from {} to {}".format(this.prototype.name, type));

• 13. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                Stijn Debrouwere Level 1

Hey Krishna! Thanks for giving Extendables a try. That code looks correct. Could you file a bug report at https://github.com/stdbrouw/Extendables/issues? It'd also be very helpful to know what version of InDesign you're using, because that can make a big difference.

• 14. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                  Krishna V Level 1

Cool, thanks. I have just seen your post already there as a feature request. I did reply to your post and also added a new issue too. Also, I want to know when this will be implemented and do you know whom do I need to talk to on this?

Thanks so much for the help,

Murali

• 15. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                    Stijn Debrouwere Level 1

Honestly, I don't know. It would probably be a quick fix and I intend to do a round of bugfixing at some point in the not-so-far feature, but I'm currently not doing any InDesign scripting professionally, so it's kind of at the back of my list of priorities. Sorry.

Stijn

• 16. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                      svens99814715 Level 1

Hi,

i love the framework very much! Currently i have problems with the download of a webservice´s response if it contains chinese and thai characters.

I use http.get(...) and then new File with encoding UTF-8 and write byteOrderMark \uFEFF and unix linefeed. Always the chinese / russian or thai characters

are discontinued/broken somewhere in the middle and then the xml cloing tag of this text is missing.

What is the preferred way for download and local save of such content? Does http.get support this wide unicode characters?

Many regards,

Sven

• 17. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                        man9ar00 Level 1

Stijn Debrouwere wrote:

Hey Krishna! Thanks for giving Extendables a try. That code looks correct. Could you file a bug report at https://github.com/stdbrouw/Extendables/issues? It'd also be very helpful to know what version of InDesign you're using, because that can make a big difference.

I see the project URL is now debrouwere/Extendables · GitHub instead? The original repo just redirects to this new one.

Also, is the issue tracker removed here for some reason? There are only pull requests and nowhere to view or create issues.

Would be good to know which forks are most active if this project hasn't been active anymore. Though 39 forks to look through is a lot.

• 18. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                          man9ar00 Level 1

(I've put up a similar message over at my blog, but feel free to continue the conversation over here.)

I notice the blog post has no section for comments. And Github has no "discussion" capability. So I assume continuing conversation about Extendables would be via Twitter, or email, found on your about page of your blog? If not discussing here that is.

• 19. Re: Extendables: a framework for Adobe ExtendScript
                                            fnkyyr Level 1

Pretty cool idea. I checked your library and I saw a lot of useful things.

Anyway I had something else in mind. Something a web developer could work with and I didn't see stuff like that in your library (while quickly scanning, maybe you have things like that?)

IMO, ExtendScript for Photoshop is really in need of short easy functions.

Example:

select("layername").move(100,100);

select("layername").dup().move(200,200);

More like jQuery thing with Photoshop layers.

Here is the code I wrote for it (Its badly written, but I wasn't really trying)

function select(name) {

var doc = app.activeDocument; var o;

if (typeof name == "object") o = name;

if (typeof name== "undefined") o = doc.activeLayer;

if (typeof name=="string") o = doc.artLayers.getByName(name);

o.move = function (fX,fY) {

fLayer = this;

var Position = fLayer.bounds;

Position[0] = fX - Position[0];

Position[1] = fY - Position[1];

fLayer.translate(-Position[0],-Position[1]);

}

o.dup = function() {

var z = this.duplicate();

return select(z);

}

return o;

}