18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 7:13 PM by Jim_Simon

Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470

gtacyclist

I am about to upgrade the video card in my system (currently an ATI 5850) to an nVidia based one so I can take advantage of CUDA acceleration. My question is this: is there a big difference performance wise between a GTX 460 and GTX 470? For example, will I be able to preview more layers smoothly with more "accelerated" effects applied to these without the need to render when using a GTX 470? What about total time to export? I realize that the actual encoding is done by the CPU but a "pre-rendering" is performed where the GPU acceleration might make a difference.

• 1. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Premiere Pro CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ is probably the best (only?) place to find out

Otherwise, you'd have to have comments from someone who has used both, and I doubt there will be many (any?) who have done so

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
            gtacyclist Level 1

Thanks John, I did realize that after posting my question and I have since looked at the GPU benchmark results. From the results I could see that the difference in performance between the 460 and 470 appear to be small... 9.5x vs 10x over the software MPE respectively. The GTS 250 is showing a 10.4x increase though (higher than both 460 and 470) so most likely the CPU and  HDD subsystems plus the amount of RAM play a role too.

Yes it would be nice if someone who had a GTX 460 and then upgraded to a GTX 470 can give feedback so the improvements (or lack thereof) can be attributed to that of the GPU only.

• 3. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
              Harm Millaard Level 7

To be honest, both Bill and I are struggling with how to interpret the MPE Performance Chart. The data is there, but what conclusions can you draw from those data? The problem is that there are so many different systems, each with their own unique features, that it is extremely difficult to draw conclusions. There is always a sizable interaction between the various system components, CPU-RAM-Video-Disk to cloud a straight conclusion.

Just today I have been wrestling with a new page or addition to a page for the website that will show a "Bang-for-the-Buck" chart, showing what you get in performance for your investment and where you should put your priorities. This is still under development, but to lift a tiny bit of the veil:

Single i7-980X is much more attractive than any dual CPU system, 24 GB RAM is optimal, 48 GB seems a waste of money, Quadro cards are a distinct waste of money, a GTX is far more economical. Properly tuned a 930/950 can be a sensible entry level system, even with only 12 GB. End of this veil lifting.

At this moment the GTX 470 seems the most attractive offer IMO. A marginal price increase over a 460, but much better specs, Sometime in the future that will show up in performance and responsiveness, I guess.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                gtacyclist Level 1

Thanks Harm, maybe a project to consider in the future is to swap different models of video cards to a base motherboard/CPU/RAM/HDD subsystem combo. I will probably go with a 470 although I am a bit concerned with the amount of heat it generates (and power it consumes) relative to a 460. I do have a relatively well ventilated case.

• 5. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem both Bill and I have is that we are doing this as a hobby, a service to other users, without any compenstation. You can imagine the trouble we would get into with our respective Directors if we were to invest in all kinds of graphics cards just for testing purposes. Now, if a company would provide us with the hardware for testing purposes, then it would greatly enhance our benchmark test, but we are still waiting for them to come forward.

• 7. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                    gtacyclist Level 1

Well I got the EVGA GTX 470 yesterday and replaced the Radeon ATI 5850... a few impressions:

1. I am now able to preview 3 layers of video smoothly (50% quality) full screen on my second monitor. 2 of the 3 layers have Flip Vertical and Flip Horizontal filters. The third one has a Blue Screen Key filter. Two of the 3 layers also have resize transform applied to them (PIP). On the ATI, I had to disable one PIP layer to preview smoothly.

2. The GTX 470 shows an average of 20 to 30% utilization (I am using EVGA's Precision Tool to monitor GPU activity and temps) when previewing and rendering the timeline.

3. The GTX 470 idles at 38-39°C... this rapidly climbs up to around 50°C when I fire up Premier Pro CS5 and to around 60°C when I start previewing, rendering, or when I enable the second monitor (regardless whether I have PPro on or not). I have since enabled the "auto fan"on EVGA's Precision tool... this has brought down the temps somewhat at the expense of noise. The fan defaults to an almost inaudible 40% speed when there is little load on the GPU. However, when the fan hits 50% speed when the GPU get loaded, you can definitely hear it.

4. I already knew this but GTX 470 has had no effect on After Effects previewing... still very slow on the first pass. I thought the ATI rendered the first pass a bit faster than the GTX 470 (better OpenGL drivers?).

5. I prefer the ATI drivers to the nVidia drivers especially when it comes to multi-monitor support. My second (preview) monitor is to the left of my main one and the ATI driver would remember this when I enable it (I don't usually use the second monitor unless I am doing video editing or app development). The nVidia drivers do not and i have to set the second monitor position again everytime I enable it.

• 8. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

a comment,

the nVidia drivers are less problematic

they do have memory (i use nothing but nVidia on all systems and my windows always go back to where they were

ATI has the most issues with multi monitor

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                        gtacyclist Level 1

The quality of ATI drivers has improved a lot especially after the 5800 series of cards came out. With regards to nVidia, this multi-monitor issue I have pointed out has been there since I used both GTS 6800 and GTX 260 on previous PC builds.

• 10. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                          Scott Chichelli Level 3

lets try this.

every system i own (about 15) has nvidia and does not exhibit this issue

almost every system i build (about 1000 yr) ships with nVidia

and does not have this issue.

so it would seem the issue is not with nvidia!

Scott

ADK

• 11. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                            gtacyclist Level 1

Do you have a second monitor? If so put it to the left (not to the right which is the default) of your main monitor. Disable the second monitor and re-enable it again using nVidia's or Windows' control panel and you will see that your you will need to "re-organize" your secondary monitor again so it falls to the left of your main monitor. As I said in my previous posts, I make it a habit of disabling my secondary monitor when I am not using it mainly because I have noticed that the video cards (both ATI and nVidia) run hotter when both monitors are enabled as opposed to when only one is enabled.

• 12. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Nvidia gives you the same if you save the desktop profile. You just load the profile again if you reconfigure your monitors. Either way this has zero bearing on whether ATI drivers are better than Nvidia. If such features are the medium used for comparison then Matrox has them both beat.

Eric

ADK

Revision - Actually I was incorrect on the Desktop Profile option. I never noticed that was removed from the driver. That use to be there but is not anymore. My apologies. After further research it looks like the Nview features have been removed in Win 7 accept for the Quadro line. It's silly marketing ideas like this that make me agree with you sometimes ATI is better. Sheesh someone get the Nvidia Marketing team way from the engineering team.

• 13. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                                Unadonis

Ugh, I configured a new computer specifically for video editing and selected Nvidia GTX 460 2GB... On Adobe Premiere's system requirements page

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs

it lists GTX 470 as being supported for GPU acceleration, but not GTX 460 (ugh), what does that MEAN exactly?

My computer's shipping to me now, should I beg them to swap the GTX 460 for the GTX 470, is that really important for Premiere CS5? Am I going to regret having the 460?

Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated.

• 14. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> it lists GTX 470 as being supported for GPU acceleration, but not GTX 460 (ugh), what does that MEAN exactly?

It means that Premiere Pro CS5 won't use that card for the CUDA processing features, which give better rendering performance and higher-quality results in many cases.

• 15. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                                    Jim_Simon Level 9
                                    should I beg them to swap the GTX 460 for the GTX 470

No.  I use a 460 with 2GB of memory.  It works very well, and saves money over the officially supported 470.  All you need is a slight modification.

Once your suite is fully up to date, do a Google search for "MPE hack" and you'll have that 460 workin' in no time.

• 16. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                                      Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dear Harm. Today I'll buy a GTX 460 715 MHz, the only diferecen of the actual I have is the 256-bit and 1G Instet 1.3.   Not because I need to, but more like for try and se reault bases on my pc. I'm shure will show interesting details wich will help to understand realtion CPU/GPU and you can use that for extra info in the ppbm5.

Looking forward to find the Best Bang for the Buck for all users.

B.R. Cristobal

• 17. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                                        Sethi_Xzon

I'd grab an extra fifty dollars and get a 570; it's more powerful overall and generally performs better than a GTX 480.

• 18. Re: Performance difference between GTX 460 and GTX 470
                                          Jim_Simon Level 9

Man, I'd like to know where you shop.  The cheapest 570 at Newegg is over $100 more than a 460, and has less VRAM (the amount of which seems pretty important, based on my reading).