5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2010 4:58 PM by nealeh

Photo Quality Poor

Jackabeano

Hi I have just purchased Premiere elements 9 and have noticed that the quality of my photos are not as good as I expected when I have added them to the time line. I never had this problem with my old premiere 6 so guess it must be a perameter setting or is it that the quality of the photo size is too large. I use a cannon dslr and edit in photoshop. Any ideas welcome, Thanks Rich

• 1. Re: Photo Quality Poor
          nealeh Level 5

The resolution of your photos is probably way too high for PRE. So PRE has to downsample them to your video dimensions. Unfortunately PRE is not that good at downsampling stills, so you are much better of doing so in your preferred photo editing application.

If you have no need to do pan & zoom, resize your photos (outside of PRE) to exactly the size of your output media (e.g. 720x480 for an NTSC DVD). If you think you will be doing pan & zoom then, for standard definition material (e.g. DVD), follow Steve's advice and go for 1000x750. More details here: What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Photo Quality Poor
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Neale, as to a likely cause. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Also, when you have placed the stills onto the Timeline, you will have a red line above them. You can hit Enter, to Render the resultant Video, for best possible playback. Does that improve the quality?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Photo Quality Poor
              Jackabeano Level 1

Thanks I  downsized a couple of photos to 1000 x 750 and added these to the timeline but can not see a clearer shot. I rendered the timeline but no better. I have noticed that when the film finishes the last picture becomes in focus. I save all my photos as jpeg images and living in the uk my settings are in pal. I have also read that it might be worth burning a disc to check the image as what I see on my monitor may be confusing me. What do you think as I am going to have another go tommorrow evening. Regards Rich

• 4. Re: Photo Quality Poor
                nealeh Level 5

It's definitely worth burning a disk - only by watching on a TV from a DVD player do you get a true feel for quality. Use 'Burn to folder' and then your preferred disk burning software (at no more than x4 speed). Use DVD +/- RW disks for testing.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Photo Quality Poor
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

I would definitely burn a DVD RW (for testing purposes only and NOT for delivery), and view on a CRT TV, or if on an HD TV, with an up-rezzing DVD/BD player.

Remember, you are looking at Interlaced DVD-Video on a much higher resolution, progressive computer monitor. This is why most editors will feed to a calibrated NTSC/PAL CRT monitor (PrPro allows for this), and not trust the Program Monitor and the computer's monitor for either quality, or for color (colour). PrE does not allow for that, unless PrE 9 has added the capability.

Good luck,

Hunt