5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2010 10:51 AM by pyhtio

Premiere Elements 9 able to save h.264 mp4?

pyhtio

Hi!

I gave Premiere Elements 9 trial a test run yesterday on my Mac OS Snow Leopard. Everything else seemed to work nicely but I felt a bit limited with the sharing/exporting -part. What I want to do is export .mp4-file encoded with h.264, preferably 2-pass to optimize quality vs. file size. I prefer this file format because it is recommended by YouTube and can also be viewed on PlayStation3, and probably on everything else.

Also, tell me there shouldn't be problems with syncing 44,1khz audio in Premiere? I've used Final Cut Express previously and I found out it needs 48khz audio to stay in sync. (I record with GarageBand and it will only do 44,1khz)

Thanks!

Joonas

http://www.youtube.com/user/pyhtio

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 able to save h.264 mp4?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you can certainly save MP4s in a variety of formats and at a variety of quality levels.

Share/Computer/MPEG with the H.264 preset will save a high quality MP4 at several frame sizes.

Share/Disc/BluRay includes presets for saving your BluRays in H.264 format.

Share/Portable Devices/iPod will save in H.264/Mp4s for an Apple portable device.

All of these presets can be modified by clicking on the Advanced button in their export panels.

There are many more details on the program in my books, available on Amazon.com and at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 able to save h.264 mp4?
            jkent63

When I used the Windows trial edition of PE9, under the 'Share/PC/MPEG' tab, there was no option to  directly share an export in *.MP4 (MPEG-4 bitstream) file format.   The H264 file-exports only allowed Bluray-compatible MPEG-2 transport-streams (*.TS)  Under the web-sharing menu, there is the option to directly render to "High-definition for Youtube", but the user cannot customize that preset.  And the user cannot customize any of the sharing presets in the "Disc" category.

Is the Mac edition different?

...I didn't know about the H264/MPEG4 options hidden inside the "Share/Portable Devices/iPod" section -- that's a good tip!

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 able to save h.264 mp4?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you used Share/Computer/MPEG with the H.264 preset, as I suggested, j?

This will produce an m2t file, but one that uses the H.264 codec.

Or, as I say, you can modify the MP4 outputs under Portable Devices to any quality level.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 able to save h.264 mp4?
                pyhtio Level 1

Yes, I found exactly what I was looking for under Share / Mobile / iPod and iPhone! Thanks for the tip! I'm compressing a test clip now, I'll let you know soon if this works for me.

All the options with h.264 codec under Share / Computer seemed to be aimed for blu-ray, and produced strange file types/extensions that even VLC wouldn't open. So I guess the case here is no better than on PC.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 able to save h.264 mp4?
                  pyhtio Level 1

Success, PS3 played my test clip! Now if the audio sync works better than on Final Cut, I need to buy this software. Thanks for the help!

Edit: 44,1 khz audio synced to video perfectly too, so it's goodbye Final Cut Express.