7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2011 9:07 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

"This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9

tenjules Community Member

I've recently begun learning to use Premiere Elements 9, but I've run into a problem. I am trying to import videos that were recorded with a Canon G9 DSLR camera. I can add them to the Orgnizer and view/watch them from there, but when I try to drag them from the organizer to the timeline in a project, it says "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

I followed the instructions on this page:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

and used Super to convert one of the videos to a DV Digital Video file using the default settings as the instructions explain. It output a file with the extention ".avi.dv" which seems to have the correct attributes. However, I get the same error when trying to drag it into a project timeline - "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

Am I doing something incorrectly? I've tried several different project files settings (including DV 48kHz) but this happens in all of them.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong.

• 1. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

As I say in my book, if you're using Premiere Elements 9, you can likely use video from that camcorder directly in the program.

When you start a new project, click on the Settings button. In the preset panel, open the DSLR options and look for settings that match your specific video.

You'll know you've selected the right preset because, when you add your video to your project and place it on the timeline, there will be no red line above it. (This, of course, is true only of the purchased version of the program. It may not work with the trial version.)

Meantime, if you want an introduction the program and its basic functions, check out my books or my Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 2. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Though my wife has a Canon G-10, I cannot recall the exact CODEC that is inside the resultant MOV format files.

If a CODEC is missing, the first task is to find out what that CODEC is. On a PC, G-SPOT is a great utility for doing just that. Next, one would find and install that CODEC at the system level. In the case of the Canon, I would suspect that the required CODEC is either: installed with the driver for that camera (from the CD), installed with the utilities program (from the CD), or is available as a direct install (from the CD). If the CODEC is a common one, such as H.264, it is likely installed with QuickTime Player. If it IS H.264, there are several other, very popular versions, one from Lead and one from MainConcept.

If you are getting a "missing CODEC" message, then it is likely that you either do not have the proper CODEC installed, the installation is corrupt or that PrE cannot work with that particular version.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on CODEC's, in general.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
              tenjules Community Member

Steve Grisetti wrote:

When you start a new project, click on the Settings button. In the preset panel, open the DSLR options and look for settings that match your specific video.

I tried that, but the videos' resolution is 1024 x 768 at 15fps, which doesn't match any of the DSLR settings. The camera can record in 640x480 30fps, but the only setting with a matching resolution is 60fps, and it gives the same error when I try to drag in a 640x480 30fps video in the 640x480 setting.

In any event, can't you import and use any video file (avi, wmv, mov, etc) in any project regardless of the project's setting? I tried converting the videos to .wmv format with the same resolution (1024 x 768) but at 25fps and was able to import and work with them in that format perfectly. It just won't let me import them in their original .avi form or in the Super©-exported .dv format.

the_wine_snob wrote:

Though my wife has a Canon G-10, I cannot recall the exact CODEC that is inside the resultant MOV format files

...If you are getting a "missing CODEC" message, then it is likely that you either do not have the proper CODEC installed, the installation is corrupt or that PrE cannot work with that particular version.

The G9 outputs .avi files rather than .mov. I don't know what codec they use, but the codec is installed and functioning because the videos can be played in any player on this computer (eg Windows Media Player), and can also be played within the Premiere Organizer screen (where you import them and create libraries). I just can't preview/play them in the project window, or drag them to the timeline (it gives the missing codec error in both cases).

Regardless of that, when I convert the video to DV-AVI format in Super© using the default settings as recommended by the link I posted, shouldn't the resulting video be useable regardless of its original format? It exports with the extension .dv.

However, either I was mistaken before or something has changed, because now I can't import the .dv files at all (it isn't even listed as one of the supported file extensions in the import dialog box dropdown menu, and if I chosoe "all files" and try to import it it gives the "not supported/missing codec" error). Windows 7 also is not recognizing the .dv file as videos, and although I can play them in Windows Media Player, I first have to OK the error message that it doesn't recognize the file extension but "may still be able to play it" (which it does). I assume a DV codec must be installed, otherwise it wouldn't be able to play the converted videos at all.

Am I missing something? Is ".dv" the wrong extension? The tutorial says it's "DV-AVI format", but if I change the extension to ".avi" the files won't play at all.

Hopefully this makes sense, as you can tell I'm very new to this and am not yet familiar with all the files types / extensions and resolutions etc.

EDIT: The program MediaInfo reports the .dv files exported by Super© are:

Format :DV
              Format_Commercial_IfAny :DVCPRO

at 720x480, 29.970fps with Windows PCM audio.

It says the original .avi files are JPEG format with Windows PCM audio.

• 4. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
                nealeh Community Member

tenjules wrote:

In any event, can't you import and use any video file (avi, wmv, mov, etc) in any project regardless of the project's setting?

From the marketing material you would think so. But in the real world PRE struggles with multiple formats in a single project. You are better off converting your clips to a common format.

tenjules wrote:

I tried converting the videos to .wmv format with the same resolution (1024 x 768) but at 25fps and was able to import and work with them in that format perfectly. It just won't let me import them in their original .avi form or in the Super©-exported .dv format.

That does seem consistent then with the error message - that it is a problem with that original specific format. Try using Windows Movie Maker or virtualdub to convert the files (see What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?).

tenjules wrote:

The G9 outputs .avi files rather than .mov. I don't know what codec they use, but the codec is installed and functioning because the videos can be played in any player on this computer (eg Windows Media Player), and can also be played within the Premiere Organizer screen (where you import them and create libraries).

Not all codecs can encode, many can only play.

tenjules wrote:

Format : DV
                Format_Commercial_IfAny : DVCPRO

at 720x480, 29.970fps with Windows PCM audio.

It says the original .avi files are JPEG format with Windows PCM audio.

Can you also run your clip through GSpot v2.60. I recall another user recently having problems with the DVCPRO codec. Also is it really describing them as JPEGS (that are still pictures) or do you mean MJPEG?

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
                  A.T. Romano Community Member

tenjules

Bottom Line: Installing the Morgan MotionJPEG codec will more than likely solve your issue.

Details:

I have done some homework on your Canon G9 and tested sample files from your model camera

1024 x 768 at 15 frames per second

640 x 480 at 30 frames per second

Your camera is recording these with a MotionJPEG video codec with a .avi wrapper.

I used the Premiere Elements 9 project preset NTSC DV Standard, although I do not feel that the project preset goes to the core of the matter.

I suspect that the MotionJPEG codec goes to the core of the matter (in spite of where you say the video is playing now while you are getting the error message trying to import the video.) If I am correct, you should be able to bypass having to convert your MotionJPEG.avi to DV AVI, by downloading and installing the Morgan MotionJPEG codec (comes as a trial that can be purchased if it does the job).

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/

See the product "Morgan M-JPEG Codec V3" described as "more accurate and up to 5X faster".

Those Canon G9 video types cited above work fine in my Premiere Elements 9.

So please give the above a try before you add file conversion to your workflow.

If you do want to look at file conversion after than, then I would suggest

Prism Converter (if you only want 4:3)

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

Settings:

Output Folder: designate save location

Output Format: .avi

Encoder Options: Video Compression = DV Encoder NTSC (Direct Show); Sound Compression = DV Audio; Sound Format = 48000 Hz, Stereo.

Edit Options: check mark next to "Resize Video"; dot next to "Shrink or Enlarge the Video to the Selected Size" - in this case of NTSC 720 x 480 - have no check mark next to "Constrain Proportions"

Then hit the Convert Button.

I prefer the MPEG Streamclip which allows for 16:9 as well as 4:3 in the converted file.

http://www.squared5.com/

I will go into the setup and settings for that if necessary.

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 6. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
                    Ibzrob

Using PE7 I had similar problems trying to import HD video shot on my Canon 7D. YThe file format is an MOV and although my media player played the file without any issues PE& would not import it.

I just had to install Quicktime and that fixed the problem.

Rob.

• 7. Re: "This type of file is not supported" - Premiere Elements 9
                      A.T. Romano Community Member

Rob

You are recording from a different camcorder than is the person who started this thread. That user was working with video compression = MotionJPEG with a wrapper container format of .avi whereas your camcorder is recording AVHCD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) with a wrapper container format of .mov. Different ballpark.

Premiere Elements (all versions) includes in its specifications need to install the latest regular version of QuickTime for import/export of QuickTime formats. So, it is not surprising that installation of the requirement resolved your issue with Premiere Elements 7 and your .mov file from your 7D. Are you currently using Premiere Elements 7? I am curious to know if, before you installed the latest version of QuickTime (regular one), did you have installed by any chance QuickTime Pro?.

Thanks.

ATR