10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2014 8:23 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?

Ted Smith Community Member

After shooting with a new Sony HDC350 (1900x1080i) I imported the same file two ways.

A. Using Premier Elements 9. This produced a file with a mts extension

B  Using PMB, the Sony app supplied with the camera. This produces a file with extension .m2ts and two smaller files .m2ts.modd & .m2ts.moff

The Sony doc says the only way you can download a AVCHD file is using their PMB app.

They both work in the PE9 timeline OK.

When played with Windows Media player, the properties said the same thing. It said the codec used was  AVC/H.264 for both.

I think the m2ts file is only slightly sharper otherwise they look the same except movement looks slightly jerkier on the computer compared with feeding the raw camera HDMI output to a Sony Bravia TV set.

Questions are:

What is the real difference between mts & mt2s if any ?

Am I getting a true AVCHD file or is PE9 or Windows Media Player trying to fool me?

Which one will make the best Blue Ray?

• 1. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
          Steve Grisetti MVP

They are essentially the same files, Ted. In fact, they are EXACTLY the same files.

Some programs just save them with one extension, some with another. About the only challenge is that, if you use a program other than Premiere Elements to import the video from that camcorder, the clips (with a different extension) may not play in the Organizer.

• 2. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?

I'm still confused!

I connected the camera so it looked like a removable drive to Windows explorer.

The files in the camera all have mts yet the Sony inport app changes tham to .m2ts

I can play them quite well direct from the camera in WMA which make me think the camera is saving them as mpeg? Or is WMA converting them on the fly to mpeg?

They all play in amazing quality in 1080i direct on the PC or to a Sony TV using composit video or hdmi,

The more I google the question the more I get confused!

I thought MTS was the extension for AVCHD files? Wikipedia mentions HD cameras record mts but export as m2ts.!

One site  http://www.convertm2ts.biz/convert-m2ts-to-avchd.htm even offers how to comnvert m2ts to AVCHD!

www.m2ts-converter.net has a converter to convet m2ts to mpeg

Can anyone really explain it and how do I know if the files being edited in PE9 are really AVCHD and not MPEG - or does it matter?

• 3. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
              Steve Grisetti MVP

MTS and M2TS files are all forms of MPEGs, Ted. AVCHD files just have some unique characteristics, and the suffix is just to designate that it is an AVCHD file.

• 4. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
                louislucien1234

original extention is m2ts, but on flash cards you can have only 3 characters so they shorten it to .mts, some programmers that did not know what they are doing shorten .m2ts to .m2t  silly isn't it.

m2ts is a multiplexing method that comes from blue ray discs, a container to the video and sound that describe the way they are mixed, into that you can find mpeg2 or H264 compression methods, H264 compression and m2ts container is AVCHD found in cameras.

Regards

• 5. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?

Forgive me from seeming dense but are you saying that AVCHD is actually a MPEG as far as quality goes?

If so what is all the blurb about PE9 being able to edit AVCHD files if all it is doing is editing MPEG like the previous versions did?

My original question was what file gives the best quality when made into a Blue Ray disk and is there any real difference whether I import as MTS or M2TS?

My mind goes back to problems I had with earlier PE versions trying to edit material that had been made as AVI together with stuff copied off DVDs that had been made earlier with the same camera.(The AVI having been compressed VOD which is a sort of MEPG) There was a noticable degredation in quality with the latter.

• 6. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
                    Steve Grisetti MVP

Would it suffice to say that there are many flavors of MPEGs as well as many many many flavors of AVIs? MOVs also.

AVCHD files have some unique characteristics, including an advanced codec. HDV video is a high-definition MPEG that uses anamorphic pixels. They are all similar in form but very different in execution.

• 7. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
                      P_Forrest Community Member

Thanks Steve!

I have my Sony HDR-XR500 Handycam and this is good info for me. I had no idea that the files were just variants of MPG.   Cool.

cheerio.

Petey

• 8. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
                        louislucien1234

I said

H264 compression and m2ts container is AVCHD

MPEG is not AVCHD, MPEG codec can be used in mainy container, as H264

Do not confuse beetwen container and compression codecs

Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

regards

• 9. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
                          GMadge Community Member

In practical terms, I ran an experiment: I burned seven segments of a quite large movie, 1 hour 18 minutes 1920 X 1080, Dolby 5.1 audio, in Pinnacle 17.6; each segment was produced as an M2TS file.

I then loaded the seven segments into Premiere Elements 11, and burned a Blu-ray - it came out at 12.2 Gb, an m2t file, and was of indifferent quality with 'tinny' sound.

I loaded the SAME seven segments into Pinnacle 17.6 and burned essentially the same Blu-ray (except for Adobe menus) - it came out at 23 Gb, m2ts and was a vastly superior visual and audio product.

On a  technical basis I wouldn't know, but in practical terms m2ts is far higher quality with a consequent increase in file size.

So for me, m2ts is far better

• 10. Re: What is the difference between mts & m2ts ?
                            A.T. Romano Community Member

GMadge

I would question your results when you write

I then loaded the seven segments into Premiere Elements 11, and burned a Blu-ray - it came out at 12.2 Gb, an m2t file, and was of indifferent quality with 'tinny' sound.

There is no way you are going to get a .m2t file from the Premiere Elements (any version) burn to Blu-ray format on Blu-ray disc. The video file in the Stream Folder of the BDMV Folder in the Blu-ray disc format structure has a  .m2ts file extension. I have been working with Premiere Elements for many, many, many versions and have never found the burn to Blu-ray video file as one with a .m2t file extension.

Please give more details of your Premiere Elements 11 project that produced this Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc with the video file as a .m2t file....including what computer operating system you were running your Premiere Elements 11 on.

You may want to go back and reconsider your results and observations.

Thank you.

ATR