5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2007 8:03 AM by Newsgroup_User

Possible to have "sub-templates" in Dreamweaver ?

Soulgolem
      Hello, I'm new to website building using dreamweaver, but I purchased a tutorial and I'm really starting to get it, though I have a question, let's say I want to create a website similar to this one : www.franzferdinand.co.uk

All pages of that site have the same upper menu, so I would use a template for that in DW in order to easily change something on all pages at once if needed.

Now go to the lyrics page, every song you choose takes you to another website with the proper lyrics, if I want to add a song to the list on the right, I would need to add it to all individual lyrics pages, unless I have a template for that, but I'm already using the templates feature for the upper menu of all other webpages... so is it possible to have say "sub-templates" in DW ?

Thanks, I hope I managed to be clear,
      Francis.
        • 1. Re: Possible to have "sub-templates" in Dreamweaver ?
          Level 7
          > I want to create a website similar to this one : www.franzferdinand.co.uk

You may want to rethink that:
          http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.franzferdinand.co.uk%2F
          --

Walt

"Soulgolem" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f75of3$bdf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello, I'm new to website building using dreamweaver, but I purchased a
          > tutorial and I'm really starting to get it, though I have a question,
          > let's say
          > I want to create a website similar to this one : www.franzferdinand.co.uk
          >
          > All pages of that site have the same upper menu, so I would use a template
          > for
          > that in DW in order to easily change something on all pages at once if
          > needed.
          >
          > Now go to the lyrics page, every song you choose takes you to another
          > website
          > with the proper lyrics, if I want to add a song to the list on the right,
          > I
          > would need to add it to all individual lyrics pages, unless I have a
          > template
          > for that, but I'm already using the templates feature for the upper menu
          > of all
          > other webpages... so is it possible to have say "sub-templates" in DW ?
          >
          > Thanks, I hope I managed to be clear,
          > Francis.
          >

• 2. Re: Possible to have &quot;sub-templates&quot; in Dreamweaver ?
            Soulgolem Level 1
            I don't understand how this has to do with my inquiry...
            • 3. Re: Possible to have &quot;sub-templates&quot; in Dreamweaver ?
              Level 7
              My reply has to do with the website you said you want to emulate. It is a
              disaster. I have never seen a page with so many code errors and those aren't
              the only problems on the page. I'm merely trying to suggest you find a
              better model to emulate.

As to "sub-templates", if you access DW Help (F1) and search on Templates
              you will see entries for Nested Templates. That's the ticket.

--

Walt

news:f75v2r$jdv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I don't understand how this has to do with my inquiry...

• 4. Re: Possible to have &quot;sub-templates&quot; in Dreamweaver ?
                Soulgolem Level 1
                Hi, thanks for the info.

As for the other thing, I said I wanted to create similar website, never intended to say I wanted to copy paste the code and it's mistakes, if that was the case, I wouldn't need Dreamweaver.

My personal opinion differs from yours anyway, the website is fast and efficient and has been displayed perfectly on all browsers (Mac or PC) that I've used, it may not be perfectly coded, but it wasn't meant to be a work of art and will serve its purpose well for a couple of years I guess.
                • 5. Re: Possible to have &quot;sub-templates&quot; in Dreamweaver ?
                  Level 7
                  Personal opinion has nothing to do with it. Neither does "a work of art".

There is a strong movement toward standards-compliant websites and with good
                  reason, I think. A standards-compliant site is far more likely to display
                  correctly on a wide variety of browsers and platforms, both now and in the
                  future. One concern I have with the site you referenced is that I suspect
                  some of the coding liberties the designer took were to facilitate certain
                  design considerations. IOW function followed form. So to try to emulate the
                  site's design might, I repeat might, force coding compromises that could
                  undermine the site's functional structure.

If you're happy to build poorly-coded sites that is your choice. A couple of
                  years? I can only hope that if you are planning to build sites for others
                  you disclose that the shelf life of what you build will only be a couple of
                  years. My clients would be sadly disappointed with such quality.

--

Walt

news:f77472$28q$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi, thanks for the info.
                  >
                  > As for the other thing, I said I wanted to create similar website, never
                  > intended to say I wanted to copy paste the code and it's mistakes, if that
                  > was
                  > the case, I wouldn't need Dreamweaver.
                  >
                  > My personal opinion differs from yours anyway, the website is fast and
                  > efficient and has been displayed perfectly on all browsers (Mac or PC)
                  > that
                  > I've used, it may not be perfectly coded, but it wasn't meant to be a work
                  > of
                  > art and will serve its purpose well for a couple of years I guess.
                  >