5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 1:44 PM by Steve Grisetti

HD novice

mikejc111 Level 1

Well I haven't even begun to try anything with HD yet, but I do possess an HD clip (because the VLC tools menu player told me that's what it was) and that's a good place to start. However my bosses are starting to coming around to using computers to manage pieces of video, which may mean editing videos in Prem El, and exporting them not to play on a disc, but by a machine. The clip I have is 1080 resolution, so can Prem El 8.0 bring that in, edit it, and export it out as 1080 - I believe that it only really deals with a codec called HDV yes? So if that's the codec it exports out as, then here's my last question.

How good is Windows Media Player at playing back Prem El 9's exported HDV? When I bring a standard def vob (from a dvd) into Streamclip, and export it as a DVCPRO not only does Prem El worl with it as if it's a DVAVI but WMP plays it back with no trouble (well - not yet anyway!)

To summarize:

Q1, If I bring a 1080 by 720 clip into Prem El 9, and it turns it into a HDV to work with, will it export it out at the same resolution?

Q2, How much do you think WMP likes Pre El HD exports?

mj

• 1. Re: HD novice
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, it all depends on the codec and format of your hi-def file.

Premiere Elements 9 can work with a wide variety of hi-def formats natively, including AVCHD, HDV, AVCHD Lite and a number of non-traditional formats. But whether or not it will work with your particular piece of video depends on what kind of camcorder it came from. (If it didn't come from a camcorder, it becomes less likely you'll be dealing with a traditional, editable format.)

As for Windows Media Player, how well it can play hi-def outputs depends on what format the output file is and how powerful your computer is.

If you can use Quicktime Player instead, it can deal with many more output formats and can often play even hi-def formats more efficiently.

In other words, Mike, there's no simple answer here. But if you can tell us what camcorder your source video is coming from and how and where you plan to display your output video (on disc, on a single computer, over a network, over the internet, etc.) we can probably offer more specific advice.

• 2. Re: HD novice
            mikejc111 Level 1

With SD, the best codec to bring in is DV-avi. although streamclip can convert into a codec called DVCPRO, and Prem el works with it just as well.

Can you give me the name of the HD codec that Prem El is desigend to work with?

• 3. Re: HD novice

Version 9 can work with a number of hi-def formats and codecs natively.

The best bets are the HDV codec (used by tape-based hi-def camcorders) and the AVC codec (H.264 compression but with some unique characteristics). It can also work with video from Flip pocket camcorders.

For non-camcorder based video, your best hi-def bet is an MPEG or MTS file using MPEG compression and 1440x1080i non-square pixels.

• 4. Re: HD novice
                mikejc111 Level 1

Ah. I only have version 8

• 5. Re: HD novice

Although the program can work, to varying degrees with a number of formats and codecs, the only hi-def format version 8 works with natively is HDV, an MPEG/MTS file, 1440x1080i non-square pixels and upper field first interlacing.