30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 9:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio but No Video...

alleyash

I am using a Dell Studio 1555 computer running Windows Vista with Premiere Pro CS5 and attempting to import video from a Sony HDR-FX7 camcorder that records on MiniDV. I am using a 1394 firewire to connect the device. I also noticed a lot of people mentioned GSpot so I downloaded that and I am including a screen of when I put the clip of the captured footage in it (let me know if you need any other information...I tried to be as specific as I could...with what I actually know about computers...)

When I capture the footage onto PPro it looks like it is capturing just fine (although there is an obivious lag between the camera's view screen and the preview on the computer, which I am not sure is normal). However, when I put the captured clip into the timeline or try to preview it the screen is black. I can hear the audio just fine but there is no kind of video at all. Even when I drag the play-head across the clip I don't see any kind of video or preview.

I tried capturing the same footage, the same way, onto Windows Movie Maker and it captured and played it with no problem. I even opened the footage I capture using PPro with Windows Media Player and it played fine.

I will be honest...I am better at actually editing footage than troubleshooting a program so the simplest (and I mean simplest) lingo would be great for me!

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2. Re: Audio but No Video...
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

Did the file you captured from premier playback with video using WMP or any other player?

An easy thing to check would be if you have your capture settings to Audio Only instead of Audio and Video...

This used to happen to me a lot cause I'd hit the 'A' key accidentally.... did I mention A LOT?

Picture 15.png

• 3. Re: Audio but No Video...
            Powered by Design Level 4

Have you tried dragging you footage to the New Item icon to create a sequence that matches your footage Ashley ?

Its standard DV so its odd that it will play with Windows Media Player so we know you didn't hit the Audio only button Jason was showing.

GLenn

New-Item.jpg

• 4. Re: Audio but No Video...
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

Just checked the pic, a size of 300+mb to 1minute+ of footage is just about right with DV with  Video and Audio... My bad.

Also, standard DV doesn't play in WMP? Then how in Pete's name(sorry Pete) does my boss take footage(AVI DV) to his freshly wiped laptop and just start playing them? I gotta check suppm' out when he comes by later....

• 5. Re: Audio but No Video...

Are you saying that you cant play standard DV in WMP ?

Mine plays fine.

GLenn

• 6. Re: Audio but No Video...
                  alleyash Level 1

It plays with video and audio in WMP and in Windows Movie Maker.

I did install the 5.0.2 update.

I double-checked that it was capturing both video and audio.

I tried dragging it over the new item icon and it still wasn't showing video.

Thanks for trying though!

Any other suggestions? Sorry this is stumping me and all my friends (who are actually tech-savy) as well 

• 7. Re: Audio but No Video...
                    alleyash Level 1

I did

• 8. Re: Audio but No Video...
                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

Powered by Design wrote:

Its standard DV so its odd that it will play with Windows Media Player

That confused me... sounds like you meant it shouldn't be able to play.

As for alleyash, put it on your timeline and drop the opacity... If the video doesn't show you might have your view options to show alpha only or suppm'(like i sometimes do in finalcut(because they made it a shortcut option). I recall premier's alpha only view to be white tho....

when you have the clip on your timeline, does it lay with a video track as well? Is this problem reproduced with multiple clips? Does it open up black in your source viewer?

Going out on a twig here.... Is MPE turned on or off? If on, try off. Do you mind uploading 2-4 seconds of your video? Have you recently been visited by Aliens? If yes, was probing involved?

• 9. Re: Audio but No Video...

@ Jason

I see how you got that Jason.

I guess I forgot to finish my sentence and just ended it odd.

I meant to finish it with saying that its odd that it plays with WMP but not with Premiere.

Late night typing bites again. 

I too like Jason would like a sample if you can upload it somewhere.

I sure wish they would bring back the attach button like in the hardware section.

Glenn

JaysonM-Y wrote:

Powered by Design wrote:

Its standard DV so its odd that it will play with Windows Media Player

That confused me... sounds like you meant it shouldn't be able to play.

As for alleyash, put it on your timeline and drop the opacity... If the video doesn't show you might have your view options to show alpha only or suppm'(like i sometimes do in finalcut(because they made it a shortcut option). I recall premier's alpha only view to be white tho....

when you have the clip on your timeline, does it lay with a video track as well? Is this problem reproduced with multiple clips? Does it open up black in your source viewer?

Going out on a twig here.... Is MPE turned on or off? If on, try off. Do you mind uploading 2-4 seconds of your video? Have you recently been visited by Aliens? If yes, was probing involved?

• 10. Re: Audio but No Video...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Another test - sorry: back in G-Spot, in the lower-left of the GUI, there are some numbered squares, for both Video and Audio. With your file loaded, hit the Video 1 button, and do a screen-cap. Now, hit the Video 2 button, and post a screen-cap. Last, hit the Video 3 button to play the file in the little viewer window. This checks out the full rendering of the Video portion of the file, and to playback, is a three-step process, but all performed from that same spot in the GUI.

Let us know how that works.

If fine, then I would look into your Video playback settings in PrPro, as something is likely not right there.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - back in PrPro, with your DV-AVI in the Project Panel, does it playback fine in the little viewer in the Project Panel? Does it then playback fine in the Source Monitor, when you Dbl-click it. Note: these two "players" are separate from the playback of the Timeline, but this will help narrow down where the issue is coming from.

• 11. Re: Audio but No Video...
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's a curiosity.  Gspot lists the clip as having the correct PAR for DV widescreen at 1.185.

Yet the OP says this was captured with Premiere, which uses an incorrect PAR of 1.2121.

'Sup with that?

• 12. Re: Audio but No Video...
                              alleyash Level 1

Ok, lots to show you guys.

I will post a bunch of pictures first and then dive into details.

Capture Screen.jpg

1. This is what my capture screen looks like (I am not sure if you can tell but there are odd black linkes breaking up the picture on the preview screen...I haven't seen this before and it does not appear on the exact same clip when opened in WMP)

WMP.jpg

2. This is from the same captured clip (different scene) shown on WMP (look at how clear the picture is compared to the one above)

GSpot Render.jpg

3. In GSpot using the 3 step process Bill explained the clip played fine.

Preview.jpg

4. In the project pane the preview picture shows until I click play then it goes black. This picture was taken as the clip in the timeline was playing. The screen where there should be video is completely black.

• 13. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please don't double-post.  Your other post has been deleted.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                  alleyash Level 1

Dropping the opacity did nothing

If I am reading this right, my view option is set at "Composite Video"...? Is that what I want?

The clip is in the video track when it is in the timeline. It won't open in any of the viewers (not the source, project or program).

I actually don't know how to check MPE...? Help.

I am uploading a short clip on Vimeo and will post it shortly.

I haven't been recently visited by aliens but...I did watch Fourth Kind recently...maybe that explains it!

• 15. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                    alleyash Level 1

I apologize, I accidently posted on the wrong discussion so I was trying to correct that mistake.

• 16. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

No problem.

It can be hard to tell if a duplicate post is intentional or an "oops".

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Other than Gspot and Premiere reporting different PARs, I can see nothing unusual to account for the black screen.  If the PAR issue turns out to be a dead end, I'd probably start looking to the graphics driver on this one.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 18. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                          JaysonM-Y Level 3

The lines are the common way that interlaced footage is displayed on a progressive computer monitor(especially when there's lots of movement), when it plays back on your tv it should look fine.... Since AME can see your footage, could you possibly(and no one else here but I would recommend such a travesty) convert em using AME(maybe Lagarith if you wanna keep quality)?

• 19. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                            JaysonM-Y Level 3

It's strange that it shows the first frame at all then, don't you think Jim?

• 20. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

This whole issue is indeed strange.  I'm just not seeing anything obvious as a cause.

• 21. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

I'd probably start looking to the graphics driver on this one.

+1 on this. Also, since it would appear that you're running Premiere on an off-the-shelf laptop, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there is a bunch of crapware installed and running on this machine. One of those wonderful pieces of software might be conflicting with the video overlay in Premiere--maybe something like a video conferencing application? I'd recommend looking for updated video drivers first, as has been suggested, and then look into shutting down--or better yet, uninstalling--the bloatware on the computer.

From what you've posted, it's obvious that Premiere is capturing and otherwise able to play the footage; the breakdown is coming between Premiere and the display subsystem on the computer.

• 22. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

Just like when a friend installed fraps and a trial of Premier... LOL fraps could capture the sequence viewer with the little frame-rate monitor to the upper left of the viewer... twas funny.

• 23. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                    alleyash Level 1

Oh good!

I just didn't want you to think I was a bad person
                                                    • 24. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                      alleyash Level 1

After both clearing off crapware files and unused/needed programs AND updating the video driver the problem has been solved!

Thank you all sooooo much! You are seriously the best! I would have just sat and stared at that blank screen for years most likely without you all!

• 25. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> After both clearing off crapware files and unused/needed programs AND updating the video driver the problem has been solved!

I will add "Uninstall crapware" as the first step in our general troubleshooting document. 

Glad to know this has worked out for you.

• 26. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you have probably gotten beyond the tips in this ARTICLE, there still might be something useful there.

Good luck, and cleaner, learner, meaner will almost always be "better."

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - regarding the double post, the fora have been acting up badly today, and this started yesterday PM. Had to tell what has and has not gotten posted, when it goes down. Assume that there is some maintenance on-going, and maybe by tomorrow, things will be back to normal. I had two double posts today, 'cause the forum shut down at a critical point. When I have done this, and have become aware, I'll quickly go back and edit the second with something like "[Double Post]." "Stuff" happens. Today, you have an iron-clad excuse (if you choose to use it). Tomorrow - watch out for Jeff...

• 27. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                            kdog56

We are experiencing the same problem with the same Dell Studio 1555.

Can you giive some specific details as to what crapware files to delete (Skype?)

and what/how to install an updated video driver? I am familiar with Control Panel and

all the devices, just wanted to be sure when I go and update the Video driver.

thanks

• 28. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The exact programs, that constitute "bloatware" will differ by mfgr. Could be all sorts of "stuff."

As for the video driver, in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, go to your video card, and look for the driver details. Then, go to the nVidia, or ATI/AMD Web site for your card and OS, and compare the driver version and date to what you have installed. If you do not have the latest, then download the newer driver. Look for instructions on the installation. These may be as simple as, launch the executable, or a bit more involved. As a "for instance," the instructions might direct you to remove the old driver, or perhaps make some changes to the video card's console. This can differ by the card, the current driver to be replaced, and your OS. Usually, it's simply running the downloaded executable, but might require a few more actions on your part - the instructions will tell you just how to update the driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - before I do any driver updates, I create a System Restore Point for the system, BEFORE any changes are made. I also keep older drivers in an archive, in case I have to do a roll-back. It never hurts to cover all bases.

• 29. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                                kdog56 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I checked in the Device Manager and did not find any entries specifically

called out as Video card or Nvidea.

I am familair with what you are suggesting I look for.

The compute is a Dell Studio that is running Vista.

Under Device Manager the most logical options are:

Display Adapter - Mobile Intel 4 Series Express

Sound , Video and Game Controllers - no video options

System  Devices - no mention of video.

I think the best bet is the Display Adapter. Can you confirm this?

Thanks

• 30. Re: Audio but No Video...
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like you have an embedded Intel graphics chip. The problem there is that Intel makes great chips, but for the embedded graphics chips is very lax in releasing updated drivers. Dell usually does a fairly good job, and I would check their Web site, to see what is available.

If you have a desktop (think that with "mobile" you have a laptop), you could add an nVidia, or ATI video card, and bypass (probably via hardware switches, or a BIOS setting) the Intel. With a laptop, you are limited in that category.

Good luck,

Hunt