22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 8:13 AM by jkosmicki

Monitoring

Yemeyi

What is the advantage of using matrox MXO2 or Blackmagic Intensity rather than a graphics card such as GeForce GTX470/480  monitoring in Premiere Pro?

• 1. Re: Monitoring
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

why didn't you ask 'what's the disadvantage...'? Not that I'd know, just curious.

• 2. Re: Monitoring
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Capture cards do not replace graphics cards, but compliment them.

Capture cards capture footage from sources other than firewire but, in the context of many of these threads, they are also a means to output the contents of the program monitor to an external reference monitor (whether HD or SD).  This is considered mandatory/ industry standard in professional edit suites.

At the moment PP has issues concerning output to external monitors.  We hope it's currently being addressed, but this has been an issue for so long that I don't hold out much hope in the short term.

• 3. Re: Monitoring
              Scott Chichelli Level 3

depending on the card/capture device really and what

your needs are.

some of the more expensive ones will up/down convert

also ideally you have a 3rd monitor of better quality for preview (color correction etc) the capture device is used for this rather

than adding a 2nd video card so you can have 3 head out.

Scott

ADK

• 4. Re: Monitoring
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What issues?

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Monitoring
                  Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Issues?

Search the umpteen Premiere Pro threads for external monitor.

• 6. Re: Monitoring

That is as useful as saying search for the needle in the haystack that stuck me when I was in it. The haystack is the problem. What specific problems or problem are you referring to because I have seen very few to none.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Monitoring
                      Jon-M-Spear Level 4

...in which case, you're lucky  - and therefore this thread is not relevant to you.

However, some of us who wish to monitor chroma and luminance together with interlacing anomalies on an external (3rd) monitor - driven via firewire have reported issues since the days of CS4.

1.  You cannot monitor on an external monitor without the PP program monitor freezing.

2.  You can get the external monitor working only if you set the audio to device audio.

3.  On CS5, you have to disable the MPE to get ANY sort of firewire monitoring to work whatsoever.

THOSE issues!

Now use the search feature and you'll get it song and verse  - haystack or not.  It's been well documented by quite a few of us.

• 8. Re: Monitoring

That is specific to Firewire output monitoring and not the I/O cards. Your original statement did not include that specific output method which has no effect on the I/O devices outputing for preview. That is why I wanted clarification. If the original poster took your entire post as stated, the assumption would be PP has issues with all preview outputs. That is a big difference from output from Firewire. Whether you liked the request for clarification or not it was necessary.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Monitoring
                          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Oh, for heaven's sake, man, lighten up.

The OP wasn't enquiring about YOUR lack of understanding.  He was enquiring about "the advantage of using matrox MXO2 or Blackmagic Intensity rather than a graphics card such as GeForce GTX470/480  monitoring in Premiere Pro?"  ... to which I interpretted a possible confusion between the differing actions of a capture card versus a graphics card in PP CS5.

By all means open up the thread for further elucidatrion and debate, but don't hijack it with a personal and, dare I suggest, ill informed, rant.

• 10. Re: Monitoring

A lack of understanding anyone would have reading that post. Clarification then made it clear you were speaking of Firewire output issues for preview and not including I/O devices. Why such disdain for an easy clarification? How is that Hijacking a thread when the subject of my questions was brought to the table by you? They were valid.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Monitoring
                              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

To be honest, life's too short.  I simply couldn't be bothered.

• 12. Re: Monitoring
                                Scott Chichelli Level 3

actually you need to lighten up ther bud.

i had already answered his question #1

2 neither items he listed are Firewire

3 almost no one uses a firewire device anymore and most were crap to begin with (in that respect you are right).

frankly you had no point to posting what you did.

not within the context of the OPs question.

Scott

ADK

• 13. Re: Monitoring
                                  Jeff Bellune Level 5

J-MS

Your posts, far more than Eric's, could be considered "ranting".  They've all had a very hard and unnecessarily critical edge to them.

I recommend that everyone count to ten, take a deep breath, and wait for the OP to respond before continuing any further down this road.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Monitoring
                                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Apologies if that's how it came across.

A very close friend of mine died yesterday, and I was angry.

• 15. Re: Monitoring
                                      Jeff Bellune Level 5

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Monitoring
                                        Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Many thanks ideed.

• 17. Re: Monitoring
                                          FelixUnderwood Level 2

Back to the original post: I have been a heavy user of the Matrox Axio LE and now the MXO2-LE w/Max. 90% of my work is HD broadcast and I simply can't output reliable levels to the media outlets without accurately seeing my material on a great big monitor. The problem is, Premiere Pro itself is a very sophisticated application. And Windows 7 is a sophisticated OS. Bring in a major 3rd party player like the Matrox products and all of a sudden that magic that everyone experiences with MPE and PPro being 64-bit is greatly watered down. The stability is greatly diminished with Matrox (for me). Also, MPE doesn't work nearly as well in Matrox Sequences, for me anyway. I've discovered a way around this by composing in an Adobe Sequence and when I'm ready for final ouput, I copy and paste the Adobe Sequence to a Matrox one, where I get the exteral monitoring output. I feel that Premiere Pro wouldn't be a distant 3rd to Avid and Final Cut in the broadcast world if there were more reliable means to see our work on an external monitor w/o sacrificing speed and stability with the 3rd party hardware and software options we currently have available to us. Oh, and to answer the question of the advantages of 3rd party products like this, the Matrox MXO2-LE allows me to input/output all kinds of (legacy) formats like composite, component, SDI, HDMI, S, etc. It also has HDMI out to my external monitor, which is as good as it gets. And it's HDMI ouput has a blue color bar setting for accuratetly calibrating external monitors.

• 18. Re: Monitoring
                                            jkosmicki Level 2

The simple answer is that a 3rd party video card enables you to output true YUV 10bit video, a must if you are doing anything for eventual TV playback (broadcast, DVD, Blu-ray).

I was a Matrox Axio user for many years, I have one of the original Axio cards, but as Premiere has matured, Matrox has become more and more buggy. These days I use a Blackmagic DeckLink card, and while it's not perfect, I am pretty happy with it. Blackmagic cards has minimal interference with Premiere's native activities, they work great with MPE. The DeckLink card enables me to have HD-SDI output to my broadcast LCD monitor, SD-HDI real-time down-convert to my CRT broadcast monitor, HDMI to my LCD client monitor and analog component in and out to my Beta SP deck, all at the same time and all with proper Rec. 709 & Rec 601 color (as well as proper fields were applicable).

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Monitoring
                                              billmatthiesen

Jeff -- are you using the DeskLink Studio card -- or the SDI card?

Anything else you'd add re: the Blackmagic card? I'm also looking to upgrade from CS3 with the matrox rtx2 to CS5 -- but I also need that CRT output and I also want to be able to dump to tape for archiving.

Thanks in advance for any other recommendations or comments that might be of help.

• 20. Re: Monitoring
                                                jkosmicki Level 2

I am using the studio card, that way I have both the digital and analog connections.The one thing I don't like about it, is that it does not have a breakout box option and all of the connection are on a "pig tail" that hangs off the back of the computer. If I were buying today I would go with the UltraStudio Pro, it has the same connections, but with USB3 connection and a nice desktop unit for the connectors. Or for only a $100 more you can get the HD extreme.

The other thing I use is a Blackmagic HDLink to convert the SDI output to DisplayPort for output to an HP monitor.

-Jeff

• 21. Re: Monitoring
                                                  billmatthiesen Level 1

Thanks so much, Jeff -- this is extremely helpful.

I've also had mixed results with the Matrox stuff. Their rtx100 card

worked great with earlier versions of PP. Last year a built a hot new

computer and installed the rtx2 to work with CS4 on Vista 64 -- and it

was a disaster. The matrox card just didn't work properly and I wasted

about 100 hours screwing around with it trying to come up with the

workarounds and fixes. So I finally set the machine up for a dual boot

of XP and Vista, and bought a copy of CS3 -- and the rtx2 card is very

solid on XP with CS3.

So this time, moving up to windows 7-64 and CS5, I really don't want to

go the Matrox route again. The tech folks are very helpful -- but I just

don't have confidence in their products anymore.

I'll check out the options you've listed. I've got a nice Sony PVM-1354Q

video monitor (CRT) that I depend on for accurate color, etc. -- so I

really want to be able to use that with this new upgrade.

Thanks again for your advice.

Bill

• 22. Re: Monitoring
                                                    jkosmicki Level 2

I have 2 Sony PVM-20M2U CRTs I use, a must for Rec. 601 monitoring. I love the HP DreamColor LCD, it will do Rec. 601, but you have to feed it a Progressive signal so you lose field monitoring, necessary for me when making DVDs and Betas.

I'm not sure if the PVM-1354Q has the SDI input option (I don't think so), but the PVM-20M2U does, and it's prefect for the DeckLink SD-SDI output. That output does a full-time HD downconvert, and gives you real-time HD to SD monitoring.

-Jeff