8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2010 7:57 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere 9 and .mts files

whiskytrader

Does anyone know if Premiere 9 supports the Canon Vixia .mts files.  Is it necessary to convert before importing and editing?  I've have not been editing in a while.  I still have Elements 2 and my mini dv camera just died.  Looking at one of the Vixia HF models and upgrading to elements 9.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 9 can edit AVCHD files natively. If you're trying to edit these types of files, it's well worth the upgrade.

(This is assuming you've got an adequately powered computer to run it -- at least a 2.6 ghz dual-core system or, better, a quad core or i7 processor with 4 gigs of RAM and a couple of hundred gigabytes of free space.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the AVCHD material, I strongly recommend Steve's "better" CPU option, and would suggest a higher-end i7, for enjoyable and smooth editing. I also recommend at least a second, physical (no partitions) HDD, and three total would be even better.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
              Ted Smith Level 3

I presume you mean to put the PE9 app on one drive and the video files on the other?

As I have only 2 disks, where should I put the project stuff produced by PE(Eg. prel)? With the PE9 or with the video?

• 4. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If one only has two physical HDD's, I would do a layout such as this:

C:\ OS, programs and Page File (Windows Virtual Memory)

D:\ Assets, Project and Scratch Disks

If I had three HDD's (physical and NOT partitions), then I would split out the Assets and the Projects/Scratch Disks.

The idea is to spread the I/O load over as many physical HDD's, as is possible. In PrPro circles, users spread Exports to another HDD, and also break out Audio from Video and place those on yet another HDD. The more HDD's, the better for total performance.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - though I have one 3x HDD setup and then an 8x HDD setup, I often edit to/from FW-800 HDD's, to migrate my Projects between the laptop and the workstation. In that case, I have all Assets, the Project files and the Scratch Disks on the single external HDD. That is less than ideal for pure performance, but allows the migration, so I live with a bit of a slowdown. This ends up being like a 2 HDD setup, except that the FW-800 external is not as fast as an internal SATA. I live with that setup fine, so if you have only two SATA internals, you will still be ahead of me, with those migrating Projects.

• 5. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
                  whiskytrader Level 1

Thanks for the input guys!  I'll be back in the States for a few weeks in Dec/Jan.  Maybe I can get a good after Christmas deal on a powerful laptop.  Would love to build an ideal editing workstation, but just can't with my nomadic lifestyle.  Any suggestions on a laptop model?

• 6. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, we'll be back on the Mainland, or back in the States, about the same time!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere 9 and .mts files
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're going to work with .mts files, you'll be wise to get a quad-core or i7 processor and four gigs of RAM, in addition to several hundred gigabytes of hard drive space. That's much easier to come by on a desktop but, for a price, you can probably find it on a laptop too.

If you can, get Windows 7 32-bit rather than 64-bit. Because of some driver issues, it's a much stabler platform for running Premiere Elements on.