4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 8:15 AM by BarryInDC

How do I create a clip from video with re-linked audio?

BarryInDC

Hey all,

I'm trying out the CS5 workflow for the first time since the original Premiere Pro...

I have a bunch of Canon EOS 5D II footage, and separately recorded audio.  I'm bringing them in to a timeline, synching them up, discarding the on-camera audio and relinking the clip so that now I have the good video linked with the good audio.

Question:

How do I now get this re-linked clip in to the bin so that I can use it for editing?

In FCP I can just drag it to the bin... but if I do that here I'm getting the video with the original on-camera audio.

Any advice would be appreciated... or any other tips on general workflow for this.  Thanks in advance.

(I am on Mac, btw)

• 1. Re: How do I create a clip from video with re-linked audio?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Premiere doesn't have a means of creating linked multiclips--at least, not in the way you're accustomed to. However, what you can do is use one sequence within another as if it were a clip; in Premiere nomenclature, this is a "nested sequence."

Probably the easiest thing to do is to select the video and audio clips from a particular shot that you want to sync up, and drag them to the New Item icon in the Project Panel; this will create a sequence matching your video's properties, and name it the same as your video clip. It will also drop the video and audio clips into itself; you can sync the audio to the video from here. Repeat this process for as many shots as you have/need.

Then, simply use those sequences as if they were clips, and edit them into a new final sequence. You can drag them from the Project Panel directly into the sequence, or into the Source Monitor for trimming, or hold Cmd/Control and double-click to load into the Source Monitor. Either way, this should roughly accomplish what you're after, and is the best that can be done with Premiere's available functions at this time.

EDIT: Also, if you've already synced up your clips in one sequence, and don't feel like starting over, just select the component clips in your sync sequence, and either right-click/Cmd-click and select Nest (or go to Sequence > Nest). This will create the nested sequence and drop it in your bin, but you'll have to manually name it to keep track of what it is, since it'll default to something like "Nested Sequence.05." The rest of the process is the same, however.

• 2. Re: How do I create a clip from video with re-linked audio?
            BarryInDC Level 1

Colin,

Thanks for the prompt response.  The problem I have with doing that is that my whole purpose of doing this is to get the good audio... I'm linking four tracks of audio to the video clip.  When I do it as a nested sequence it's only bringing the mixed-down stereo audio, not all four individual audio tracks.

Is there no solution then?  This would defintely be a deal-breaker for me in terms of using Premiere for any cutting at all, which is a shame... we were looking in to it because we really liked that it reads the EOS video natively, it's integration with the rest of the suite, and the cross-platform nature.  Darn.

It seems to me that if they went through all the trouble to make it read the EOS video, they were clearly thinking of this usage... and you are ALWAYS going to need to relink the audio if you are using EOS video professionally.   Hmmmmmmmm.

• 3. Re: How do I create a clip from video with re-linked audio?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The problem I have with doing that is that my whole purpose of doing this is to get the good audio... I'm linking four tracks of audio to the video clip.  When I do it as a nested sequence it's only bringing the mixed-down stereo audio, not all four individual audio tracks.

Yes, I could see that being a problem. Short of going into each individual sub-sequence and working with the audio there (you can toggle tracks on or off and mix as you need to), there isn't a way to maintain the individual audio channels in the final sequence, at least using this workflow.

Is there no solution then?  This would defintely be a deal-breaker for me in terms of using Premiere for any cutting at all, which is a shame... we were looking in to it because we really liked that it reads the EOS video natively, it's integration with the rest of the suite, and the cross-platform nature.  Darn.

The only other possible workflow I could see would be that once you have your audio synced up, unlink the original audio (should be available via right-click, but you can may a keyboard shortcut, too), delete it if you want, select the video and the replacement audio channels, and relink. This will create a "unit" that you can move around in that particular sequence, but you won't be able to move it to the bin or to load it up into the source monitor with all the audio channels intact. You can copy and paste it to a different sequence, though, and the channels should remain linked.

It seems to me that if they went through all the trouble to make it read the EOS video, they were clearly thinking of this usage... and you are ALWAYS going to need to relink the audio if you are using EOS video professionally.   Hmmmmmmmm.

Not necessarily--I mean, Adobe wasn't necessarily thinking about needing this capability. There will always be workarounds of one sort or another, especially with a burgeoning technology like DSLR video. Remember, this stuff has only entered the production realm rather recently, and the professional use of it is still in its fledgling state. One of Adobe's primary goals is to make all editing this material and other newer formats native, as you've found, so other features come along later. Undoubtedly, it's on their radar, because you certainly aren't the first user to be disappointed at the lack of such a capability. Will it come at some point? Probably, When? Who knows... Certainly make a request for this feature: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I create a clip from video with re-linked audio?
                BarryInDC Level 1

Yeah, mixing the audio that way would be unmanageable.  Ah well.

Thanks for the insight, and I hope they work it out.