17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 2:46 AM by mcxmarkus

GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?

mcxmarkus

Hi all, does the 1 GB vRAM difference make a big difference for Premiere Pro MPE and on the encoding , especially when using Mainconcept suite 5 plugin ?

I am aware of 768MB minimum requirement, 256MB per 1 layer of video i think?!? So more RAM allows more layers of video for playback and perhaps faster encoding (i would hope)?

I also read that unfortunatelly the 2GB version has 2nd DVI port ontop therefore less space for heat to go out which is probably the reason for it apperently to be louder than 1Gb version.

I am not sure which one to buy, if i should spend 15€ more for the Gainward or 55€ for Zotac 2GB version.
      I couldnt find any real life experience or reviews of 2GB version and premiere pro cs5.

Thanks for your input

• 1. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>real life experience or reviews

That would be at the Premiere Pro CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/

• 2. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This page gives a specific example of the difference.

• 3. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
              mcxmarkus Level 1

Hi Todd,

thanks, i actually saw that great link in the earlier thread by your reply on "CUDA confused" allthough this is more about Frame Size limit and behaviour of switching rendering to CPU if Memory is not enough as far as i understand. allthough this is more about Frame Size limit and behaviour of switching rendering to CPU if Memory is not enough as far as i understand.

Allthough when working with 1080p (1920x1080) material, AVCH, i wonder if MPE or encoding can ran into memory issues with 1GB, than surely having 2GB will be of great advantage,but if this is not the case than its waste of money.

PS. Benchmarks show that for gaming and Single GPU there is no performance increase,very little , a little bit more in SLI modes.

• 4. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I believe that you're correct in your conclusion that more VRAM doesn't matter so much if you won't be using large frame sizes.

• 5. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                  mcxmarkus Level 1

I think this is probably true, atleast fore MPE playback.

I wonder though how that is for encoding though,since this is the biggest issue that it takes so much time,
                  especially for systems with smaller CPU performance ie. Duo Core 2.6Ghz i have
                  I will check with MainConcept what they say for their plugin.

A question on the side,is PP / MPE still only using <100 CUDA Cores? Hope they make use of more or all, but perhaps its a technical work flow or perfomance issue to use more streaming units (CUDA cores) I think Mainconcept is using more for H.264 export encoding.

Btw. @ John the PPBM5 does not include RAM information on GPU models, lol cant believe they left such important factor out!

• 6. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                    SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

For 1080p footage 1GB will be enough for most usages. Even at these smaller frame sizes we will do our best to take advantage of additional memory which can lead to better performance by caching and reusing frames. For 1080p there is likely enough breathing room with 1GB of memory unless you are working with a really large number of layers or expensive effects. If you are working with large stills or something like 4k RED footage GPU memory becomes one of the most significant performance differentiators and 1GB isn't nearly enough.

• 7. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                      SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro has always been able to use more then 100 cores.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Btw. @ John the PPBM5 does not include RAM information on GPU models, lol cant believe they left such important factor out!

It is completely irrelevant information, since there is no performance difference between a card with 1 GB or 6 GB of VRAM for this benchmark test.

• 9. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                          mcxmarkus Level 1

WOW I AM SHOCKED to see in the PPBM5 :

The GT 240 is twice as fast than the GTX 460 in encoding???!!! Even though 96 vs 336 Stream Processing Units and 128 vs 256Bit 1GB DDR 5 memory.
                          The GT240 cost 80-100€less , that might be than the obvious choise for now.

I wonder what the difference here might be for using the MainConcept export plugin is of Suite 5.

• 10. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Tell me how you came to that conclusion, because it is utter BS.

• 11. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                              mcxmarkus Level 1

Up to twice as fast, if i read correctly its for average GT 240 of 11sec vs GTX 460 27.43 sec.

Maybe the test system varied so much that the 240 looks so much better than the 460

http://ppbm5.com/MPE%20Gains.png

• 12. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                                mcxmarkus Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

It is completely irrelevant information, since there is no performance difference between a card with 1 GB or 6 GB of VRAM for this benchmark test.

@Harm, well on another thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/3097117 you are actually saying that "the more memory, the better" and that with more memory MPE can handle bigger frame sizes, is that not a performance difference? You said there that "When all memory is used, software acceleration is used instead" that must be a big performance difference in this case.

That is why i was wondering but it seems for now that MPE does not make use of more than 1 GB memory unless using bigger frame sizes.
                                The mainconcept plugin might be a different story.

• 13. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                                  jabloomf1230 Level 1

Other than the large images/frames, the only other reason that you might want >1GB VRAM is if you are using mocha AE with AE CS5. mocha takes advantage of as much VRAM as you have onboard.

I do have a question about VRAM, though. If you are running your monitor at resolutions above 1080p, isn't it the monitor resolution that dictates the maximum amount of useful VRAM?

• 14. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You are comparing a single observation of the 240 with an OC'ed 920 with 5.02 versus a range of 460's with 5.01 and limited memory, so without delving deeper into the specifics, you are lying with statistics here.

I know of a 55 year old guy who ran the marathon on Reeboks much faster than about ten 20 year olds on Nike's, so following your conclusion Reeboks are much faster than Nike's. Start reading on a famous book "How to lie with statistics".

• 15. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                                      JaysonM-Y Level 3

So what do you wear, Harm?

• 16. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Reebok's of course at my age, 55+. My son and daughter OTOH use Nike's or Adidas. But my daughter just ran a half marathon (21+ KM) in Switzerland in 2:12 and I would be happy to match that result somewhat in around 2:45. Probably my conclusion would be that Adidas is much faster than Reeboks and Nike's are lousy, because my son would not even start, if I follow the OP's arguments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics

• 17. Re: GTX 460 - 1 vs 2 GB vRAM - Big Difference?
                                          mcxmarkus Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

You are comparing a single observation of the 240 with an OC'ed 920 with 5.02 versus a range of 460's with 5.01 and limited memory, so without delving deeper into the specifics, you are lying with statistics here.

I know of a 55 year old guy who ran the marathon on Reeboks much faster than about ten 20 year olds on Nike's, so following your conclusion Reeboks are much faster than Nike's. Start reading on a famous book "How to lie with statistics".

@Harm,

while i appreciate sharing your knowledge and expertise, i do not appreciate false accusation ie. me of lying or statements like that something "is utter BS". That is very strong and says a lot about your character how you treat people.

As i said i was shocked which is why i put "???!!!" after the statement to demonstrate that i am bit confused but that "if i read correctly" the statistic and this would be true, than that would be great. I am very honest person, actually i had more time and found out afterwards that there was only 1 entry of the GT 240, hence why the statistic is not very strong, but as you see i referred to the picture. And yes i do understand that the setup and methods are important to understand the relative performance.

I only want to find out which GPU to buy! It seems after all that the GTX 460 1GB is best choice for my budget/perfomance.

Thanks again.