4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 2:16 PM by d@nonino

How can I embed a font to a text in Flash CS4?

d@nonino

Hello guys I am building a web site on flash for my very first time and I have a problem. When I see my project in another computer I can`t see the fonts I used. Flash replace them with others. I gues that's because they are not installed in the system I'm trying to use.

How can I embed fonts to a text? Thank you very much for any tip you have to give me...

• 1. Re: How can I embed a font to a text in Flash CS4?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not have CS4, but I would expect it to be similar to CS3, if not, I apologize for intruding.  If you select the dynamic textfield on the stage and look in the Properties panel, there should be a button labeled "Embed..."  If you click that it should open an interface where you select whatever characters you expect are needed.

If the textfield is a static textfield, then you should not need to embed the fonts, though I have experienced this not being the case at times.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I embed a font to a text in Flash CS4?
            d@nonino Level 1

Hello Ned, thanks for your answer. I saw that option but that's not what I need but to attach a font, not a characters group. My textfield is static but it changes anyway no matter what. I tried with actionscript 3 but it seems not to work (or maybe it's just me lol). Thanks anyway!!

• 3. Re: How can I embed a font to a text in Flash CS4?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Using the Embed button is how you would embed a font for a dynamic textfield. You can specify which characters to help minimize the weight of the font that is embedded, but you have the option to embed them all.

If you are using a static textfield, then you can break it down into raw graphics and that will guarantee the font appears as you wish.  To do that, just select the textfield with the text already in it and choose Modify -> Break Apart, Modify -> Break Apart.  You will not be able to edit the text afterwards because it will be drawn.

Another way of embedding a font that I have little experience with is to store it in the library.  To do this, in the upper right corner of the Library is a small menu icon.  Click that and in the menu that appears select New Font.  An interface will appear where you specify the Font and a Name for it... The name will say Font 1, but you can change it as you like.  When you want to apply that font to a textfield you need to look for that name in your font drop down with an asterisk next to it.  So if you named it Font1, in the font selection drop down you would look for Font1*

• 4. Re: How can I embed a font to a text in Flash CS4?
                d@nonino Level 1

Thank you very much Ned, that was a good advice. I never considered to turn it into a graphic. I'm quite new as you see. Thank you very much!!