6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2010 4:09 PM by the_wine_snob

This is a bit bizarre

SteveRyan555

I went and picked up a new tower to put Elements on, and I am having a rather bizarre audio issue. I am sure it has to do with some settings, but for the life of me I can't figure out where.

OK, the issue is that when I have elements up, sometimes audio works, sometimes it doesn't.

I go into the control panel and check the default sound output, and it is the logitech USB headset I have. I'll then go to any web page, youtube or whatever and it works fine. But I bring up Elements and I press play...nothing. No audio.

What is strange about this is that if I go to the marker on the timeline and drag across the frames as I am advancing it to a point farther down the video, I can hear the audio. It's like fastforwarding an old casette while you still have it playing. But I will stop, press play and again...nothing.

I have rebooted

I have tried a different USB port

I have looked at what settings I know about as far as audio on adobe. Sometimes it will work, and I'll go about my business. But then I minimize and come back to it and then...nothing.

My system is a PC

Windows 7 home premium

AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor

8GB RAM

ATI High Defenition Audio Device

Any thoughts?

Again, I can go to any web page and it works fine. I can even go to the default windows live moviemaker and it works there, as well.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: This is a bit bizarre
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a rather general ARTICLE on Audio issues, but let's get those completely out of the way first.

Also, do you have system speakers, that you can test with, just to make sure that it's not an incompatibility with the USB headset. Though different, there are often issues with USB mics. and Adobe's NLE programs. Have not read of any with USB headsets, but that would something to rule out early on too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: This is a bit bizarre
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements has long had an issue with USB microphones. It could likely have an issue with your USB-connected headset too.

• 3. Re: This is a bit bizarre
              SteveRyan555 Level 1

adobe.jpg

OK, this is probably super lame I wasn't able to figure this out on my own, but I went into the preferences and at least for now, it works. I don't know that this is a permanent fix, especially after reading a lot about issues this program seems to have with USB devices. But I went into the preferences, went to Audio Hardware, and the box that is checked by the headset was actually not checked after I had changed all my settings in the audio part of the control panel. I just wanted to provide this JPEG just in case anyone is as moronic as I am, and didn't look there first. Thanks a ton for your answers. I am going to keep those bookmarked just in case this thing rears its ugly head again.

• 4. Re: This is a bit bizarre
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

That should be permanent. That was why I posted the article, so that we could check the various locations, that can affect Audio. It can require settings at the OS level, at the hardware level, and then in the program at both the software and hardware levels.

Glad that you have things resolved, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: This is a bit bizarre
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And great to know that Adobe specifically addressed that issue, since it was a problem in previous versions. (We often advise people to check their Audio Hardware/ASIO settings -- but I don't remember seeing tools for enabling USB connections.)

Great find, Steve! Glad you got it to work!

• 6. Re: This is a bit bizarre
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I now wonder if PrE 9 will work better with USB mics? Guess that time will tell.

I was also surprised at that particular screen.

Hunt