21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 1:13 PM by John T Smith

New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?

SX0T

I am looking to build a desktop PC, and I am a former mac guy, I just realize that the cost makes so much sense to build it myself. I have done a little research on some parts and I think I am starting to get somewhere but would like some help or suggestions (of course if someone wants to just publish a wishlist on newegg for me, that'd be great too!).

Budget - I'm hoping for somewhere around 1000, but  I am a bit flexible - of course, the cheaper the better.

Here is what I will be using it for:
      Photo/video editing
      - CS5
      - Avid or Sony Vegas
      Some gaming
      - doesn't have to be Crysis ready, but would like to play some regular Steam games (ie. TF2, Left 4 Dead etc.)
      Some HTPC stuff
      -storage

Here is what I know or would like to use so far

I am fairly certain I want a core i7. Specifically I'm looking at the core i7 950 (3.06GHz) as it seems to be one that many people are fond of.
      Also leaning toward the GeForce GTX 460 as a video card. Again because many seem to be using it and it has the CUDA for all my CS5 benefits.
      Leaning toward 6-8GB of RAM, preferably DDR3
      Also, if possible would like to have a SSD for the OS and programs and a separate drive for all the media storage

This is what I know so far - but again, I'm a complete newb and have never built a PC before (I'm not even sure all the parts I need).

Any suggestions would be great and useful, and as I said, if someone wants to build a wishlist on newegg and then everyone else can pick it apart and fix me up I would be GREATLY appreciative.

Thanks a bunch for all the help!
      -Scott

• 1. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

If you browse a few posts down, you'll see a good number of posts with the listed items you're considering and advice on such.

What motherboard are you planning on getting?

leaning toward the GeForce GTX 460

I'd lean towards the 470 but In a month or two opinion might change...

Leaning toward 6-8GB of RAM, preferably DDR3

12gb(3x4gb @ 1600) or more would be better which leads back to your Motherboard decision when it comes to being DDR3

SSD for the OS and programs and a separate drive for all the media storage

You might wanna go for a 300gb raptor for your OS at the moment.... unless you want your programs to load faster.... but that's about it....

and separate drives for your media etc.

• 2. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
            SX0T Level 1

I have browsed through some of those other posts that are similar to my question.

As for mobo - I have NO idea at all. Like I said, I'm new to this and looking for suggestions.

Why would you suggest the Raptor over doing a SSD for the OS and programs and a separate hard drive for everything else?

As for what you mention about RAM. Do you really think 12 is needed and fits in my current budget?

• 3. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

SX0T wrote:

I am looking to build a desktop PC, and I am a former mac guy, I just realize that the cost makes so much sense to build it myself.

I said the same thing since 09. The last time apple made anything good was in 07.

• 4. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                SX0T Level 1

This is what I have so far in my cart.

Qty.Product DescriptionSavingsTotal Price
                EVGA 01G-P3-1378-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FTW EE 1GB 256-bit  GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
                EVGA 01G-P3-1378-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FTW EE 1GB 256-bit  GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
                Item #: N82E16814130581
                Return Policy: VGA  Standard Return Policy
                $10.00 Mail-in  Rebate Card14-130-581

$239.99
                Nvidia Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2 Game Coupon - Gift PC Game
                Nvidia Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2 Game Coupon - Gift PC Game
                Item #: N82E16800999249
                Return Policy: VGA  Replacement Only Return Policy
                -$49.99 Saving

$49.99
                $0.00
                Sparkle Computer Corp GOLD CLASS SCC-750AF 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80  PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active, 0.99PF Typical PFC Power Supply
                G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)  Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
                -$20.00 Combo
                $10.00 Mail-in  Rebate17-103-053

$269.98
                $249.98
                Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core  Processor BX80601950
                GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel  Motherboard
                -$15.00 Instant
                -$14.99 Combo

$489.98
                $459.99
                Subtotal:$949.96

The problem, as you can see is that I'm already nearing my total and still need a TON of stuff. Hard Drive, Case, Fan, Power Supply etc. I am trying to keep this build in the 1000-1200 range. Is this even possible or am I doomed?

• 5. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Is this even possible

Not really... to use Premiere Pro CS5 on Windows 7 Pro (most people pick W7Pro) you need a strong computer

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 470 or maybe a GTX 460 activated by the "text file hack"

• 6. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                    SX0T Level 1

I already have Windows Pro 7. Dont need a monitor.

The build I currently posted seems to be something that shouldn't have any problems running Premiere Pro.

Why do you say it isn't possible?

• 7. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Because of your budget.

i7-950, mobo, GTX 460, PSU, 6 GB memory, 3 HDD's, 1 DVD burner, chassis, fans, CPU cooler, Win7-64, etc. and you can count yourself lucky to end up with $ 1200 and then you would not want a very limited 6 GB but should go for 12 GB.

• 8. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                        JaysonM-Y Level 3

I said Raptor vs SSD cause of $/GB and the speed differences..... well... http://www.ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

unless you have the SSDs in raid, there's barely a need for em.

• 9. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                          SX0T Level 1

Here it is - wondering if someone can look over and offer any suggestions. Keep in mind a few things.

Pretty close to what I was for budget
                          I plan to eventually add SSD and more RAM (probably another stick of 4GB)

My main concerns - what's missing? will my power supply be sufficient? Is this a good video card or is there better for the same cost? (I've been reading that the GTX460 are good with CS5 because of CUDA).

Qty.      Product Description      Savings      Total Price

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
                              Item #: N82E16827135204
                              Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$18.99

Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm F

-$10.00 Instant

$59.99
                              $49.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
                              Item #: N82E16822148433

$69.99

MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
                              Item #: N82E16814127518
                              Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate14-127-518

$214.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ...
                              Item #: N82E16817139006

-$30.00 Instant
                              $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card17-139-006

$139.99
                              $109.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
                              Item #: N82E16820231314
                              Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$179.99

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
                              GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
                                    Item #: N82E16819115211
                                    Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                                    Item #: N82E16813128456

Subtotal:     $1,103.93

• 10. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?

A single hard drive is not optimum... and a 1T drive for OS and programs may be a bit of overkill

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
                            1 - 320Gig WD Win7 and all programs
                            2 - 320Gig WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
                            3 - 1Terabyte WD all video files... read and write

I prefer Western Digital or Samsung Spinpoint... but that is personal preference

DDR3 memory on an i7 motherboard works best in sets of 3 - so when you do buy that 3rd stick, make sure it EXACTLY matches the other 2 so the set will then go into triple channel mode

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                              SX0T Level 1

Funds right now don't allow for me to have the correct configuration of hard drives that I would want. Which is why I'm just getting one for now. Is there a better solution than that even taking my cost factor into play?

Second, I'm not familiar with doing RAID or any of that, so at this point that's not even an option for me.

Thanks for the advice on the RAM though, I was a bit confused with the whole triple channel/dual channel stuff, but I think I understand now.

I will probably at that 3rd stick sometime in the next 6 months, so would it be optimal to do what I'm doing and buy the 2 4GB and add the third? Or would I really benefit from going with the 3 2GB for now and getting to 12 later using 2GB sticks?

• 12. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?

If all you can afford right now is one drive, I guess you'll have to buy one big enough for software and data files... just do be aware that using one drive for software and video files is far from optimum

You really don't need raid unless you are using LARGE uncompressed files... my configuration works just fine with DV AVI and AVCHD and MP4

Go look at the Premiere Pro CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ - Harm has mentioned that going from 12Gig to 24Gig of ram gives about a 30% performance boost... so buying 2x4 now and another 4 later will still leave you 3 open ram slots to add another 12Gig later if you decide you need the boost

• 13. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                  SX0T Level 1

This is what my build ended up being. Again, this is my FIRST  build, and I think I did a pretty good job of keeping it in my price  range (cost ended up being just over 1100 with shipping and tax), but  buying the most important good parts that allow for future upgrade of  some of the other less expensive type things. I just hope everything  works out together and I can actually build it! 

1 x ($109.99) PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT $109.99

1 x ($27.99) KB&MS LOGITECH|CRDLS DSKTP EX 100 R $27.99

1 x ($19.99) WL ADAPTER ASUS|USB-N10 R $19.99

1 x ($69.99) HD 1T|SEAGATE 7K ST31000528AS OEM - OEM $69.99

1 x ($294.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I7 950 3.06G 45N R $294.99

1 x ($199.99) MEM 4Gx3|GSKILL F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL $199.99

1 x ($49.99) CASE ROSEWILL| DESTROYER RT $49.99

1 x ($199.99) MB ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 LGA1366 R $199.99

1 x ($209.99) VGA MSI|N460GTX HAWK GTX 460 R $209.99

1 x ($18.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $18.99

• 14. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                    SX0T Level 1

This is what my build ended up being. Again, this is my FIRST build, and  I think I did a pretty good job of keeping it in my price range (cost  ended up being just over 1100 with shipping and tax), but buying the  most important good parts that allow for future upgrade of some of the  other less expensive type things. I just hope everything works out  together and I can actually build it! 

1 x ($109.99) PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT $109.99

1 x ($27.99) KB&MS LOGITECH|CRDLS DSKTP EX 100 R $27.99

1 x ($19.99) WL ADAPTER ASUS|USB-N10 R $19.99

1 x ($69.99) HD 1T|SEAGATE 7K ST31000528AS OEM - OEM $69.99

1 x ($294.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I7 950 3.06G 45N R $294.99

1 x ($199.99) MEM 4Gx3|GSKILL F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL $199.99

1 x ($49.99) CASE ROSEWILL| DESTROYER RT $49.99

1 x ($199.99) MB ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 LGA1366 R $199.99

1 x ($209.99) VGA MSI|N460GTX HAWK GTX 460 R $209.99

1 x ($18.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $18.99

Did I go overkill on my PC build?

I ordered the build that I posted above last night and recently have  come under some criticism for "wasting money" for overbuilding on  unnecessary things. 

I want to re-state what I plan to do with this PC and get a few more  opinions.

What I want to do
                                    -use Photoshop CS5 - not run it perfectly, but be able to do decent  work with it (which my 2.4GHz Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM can run right  now)
                                    -use some sort of video editing software for art projects (most SD,  some HD stuff, not any serious budget kind of films) AVID, Vegas,  Premiere Pro, not sure what to use yet

(these things I do not do on a daily basis, its not a job for me,  rather I am an an artist who uses these programs to make work)

Also want to be able to play some games - mostly Steam stuff like  Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.)

Want the PC to also serve as a sort of HTPC that I can keep  connected to my television to stream stuff - again, nothing serious,  more recreational.

I was hoping that with this build I could get something that would  not need any MAJOR upgrades for quite some time. Something that will  last, and last well, for 5 years maybe? without any HUGE upgrades.

Did I overkill? I'm a bit worried now - I was excited for what I had  done, but after being told it was a waste of money, I'm beginning to  worry.

• 15. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Overkill? Not at all! If anything, you killed a nice system by using only a single disk, as has been mentioned before. For around $ 70 extra you will get much, much better performance.

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                        SX0T Level 1

Thanks Harm!

As I said before, number of hard drives is something I plan on being the first thing to upgrade. I was already a bit over my starting budget and figured that at least for the first few months I can get by with what I have. In the next 6 months or sooner I plan to fix the hard disk issue, probably with a second one and maybe an SSD as well for OS and programs.

Just so everyone can see the kind of comments I was getting elsewhere that made me feel like I was having second thoughts, these are some of the things that were said.

"waste of money.

very few apps benefit from having more than 4gb ram, only buy 12gb  for running VM's.

most general apps use 2 cores, some specific games + apps can use 4,  tiny % of expensive $$$$ apps can use 6+ efficiently.

basically you're wasted hundreds which should been put towards better  gfx, bigger ssd, 27-30 ips monitor, camera+lens or put towards new  system in 2/3 years.

i'll repeat build is complete waste of money and you want more ram!"

"i'm serious.

you do realise x58 is nearly 3 years old. sandy bridge is due in 2  months and bulldozer early next year. if you have lots of money and need  high perf then wait or fork out $$$$ 980x.

that's just silly expecting 5 years useful life from any pc system.  let alone gfx lasting 5, lol that's like me using my test gfx agp 6600gt  or 7600gt for gaming nowdays. comment about fast ddr3 is fine, i'll  still be useful (reusable) to 2012.

x6 1055t / 1090t, for encodes
                                        gtx 460 / 470 for cuda.
                                        8gb for  50mb raw / tiff images

add ssd, raid0 samsung f3

that's your build profile.

plenty for your non-professional (non ee, protein, high rendering)  software tasks."

• 17. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is that these kind of remarks are made by people that have never worked with PR, Vue, 3DMax or similar pro applications. They know all about games and there multi-threading is still backward in comparison to applications like PR and Vue.

Just yesterday I ran a test with rendering of a timeline and you know, I ran out of video memory, all 1.5 GB of it and during that time all the 9 GB of ram available to PR was used to the max and all 8 HT'ed cores were used intensively.

• 18. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

+1

what forums are you getting this nonsense from?

oh and the sandy bridge thats coming in Jan is the Budget replacement. NOT high end, that will come at the end of 3rd quarter to end of next yr.

so we still have a yr with X58

Scott

ADK

• 19. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                              adam77777

The best thing about the sandy bridge, will be the price drop of the X58 gear in three months time.

• 20. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?
                                                Ruchacho

I am in a similar ish  position to SXOT and value all the advice that has been passed on.

I am researching what I need for my new computer.

I am an artist currently using CS2 to simply rework my paintings into prints.

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww198/blueridernz/Rachel%20Thompson%20Portfolio/?albumv iew=slideshow

The paintings have been scanned at a high resolution and are 500MB in size.

The image files I work with are large, but the process simple, I am extracting and collaging.

Nothing to technical here.

As I will be printing large, some are 9' long by 4' wide the end result file size could be 2GB,

which I have read is the max for a PSD.

I am not gaming or working with video files and am wondering how much I will

need to invest to be able to work quickly with large files?

Is there a desktop you would recommend for my purposes ?

Building a computer is beyond my skill level but I have a friend I could call on if you think it will

save me $ and if I will end up with a better computer I am prepared to try.

Let me know if I could scale back on any of the components listed in this forum ?

Your advice is truly appreciated.

Rachel.

• 21. Re: New to building a PC - former mac guy. Help?

This hardware section is really part of the Premiere VIDEO EDITING forum

I think you may need to ask in the Photoshop forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop

And... start your own message thread with a descriptive title