7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2010 10:40 AM by pixlor

how to bring text field to live

AlkingX

hi everyone here,

Actually I need help in how to bring the textfield in fireworks to live when I putted inside a rectangle. because when I exported to "CSS and Images" I can't see the textfields at all so only the Text and rounded rectangle found that returned back to rectangle but when I sliced the whole rectangle I found that it shows up completely but I can't write inside textfields so which is not effective. Also when I use the "HTML and images" same thing.

I hope anyone can help me to solve this problem and tell me step by step what should I do.  Thank you very much for the help

I'm putting my files at this site so you can have a look at it

http://www.4shared.com/file/8DOub3vQ/New.html

• 1. Re: how to bring text field to live
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

In the Properties panel, change the slice type from Image to HTML. Click on the Edit button that appears, and type your text into the HTML editor.

• 2. Re: how to bring text field to live
            AlkingX Level 1

Linda Nicholls wrote:

In the Properties panel, change the slice type from Image to HTML. Click on the Edit button that appears, and type your text into the HTML editor.

Hi there and thanks a lot for replying to my thread. I don't know if you understand my question or not but I want to create login system so I put "Textfield" but textfield doesn't work inside my rectangle. I uploaded my work in the site so you can download and have a look at it. Actually I didn't see any Edit button when click on the "Textfield" to change its property to be live not a picture. Could you please explain to me more with some picture and you can upload it to the same website that I uploaded my file. Thank you so much

• 3. Re: how to bring text field to live
              pixlor Level 4

You can't make a login form from Fireworks. You need to do that with an HTML form and you also need code on the server end to handle the data that is submitted by the form. Fireworks will can create images, but you'll need to use Dreamweaver or some other method of editing the HTML to write your form and you'll need to have some additional code, too.

Here are a couple of resources that explain it further:

http://www.formbreeze.com/makingformswork.htm

http://www.javascript-coder.com/html-form/html-form-tutorial-p1.phtml

• 4. Re: how to bring text field to live
                AlkingX Level 1

Hi there,

thanks a lot a lot alot alot for reply to me, actually I feel very sorry that I didn't ask my question in a proper way I think most of you misunderstood my question. That when I design "Textfield" or you can call it textbox it doesn't work on Internet Explorer at all it stays there as a picture not as textbox or textfield. But when I changed my export to CSS and Images it worked well. I know that textfield won't do any thing if I don't use PHP or ASP. I have experience with PHP and ASP.

Anyway I feel that I got my problem solved by exporting the page in fireworks to CSS.

Now I have another question that when I create new file in Fireworks and after haveing the size of the page to 750 in 660 or 1024 in 800 both of them doesn't fit in my whole Internet explorer it might fit in Chrom explorer but not every browsers will be the same, So what is the perfect sizes for browsers. Actually I'm new to fireworks and I usually use only dreamweaver but now I want to change by using fireworks. By the way I found that some people use 750 width but they make the website to be in the middle of the page so whatever is the browser doesn't matter so how can I do it. Thank you very much

• 5. Re: how to bring text field to live
                  pixlor Level 4

AlkingX wrote:

... Actually I'm new to fireworks and I usually use only dreamweaver but now I want to change by using fireworks. ...

Fireworks is not a replacement for Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is the coding environment; Fireworks is for creating graphics. They are complementary tools. Fireworks can produce HTML (or HTML/CSS), but the purpose of this export ability is for you to create prototypes to show people. The code from FW is not production-quality code. A best-practice scenario would go something like this... Use Fireworks to design your layout. In Fireworks, add slices to export those portions of your layout that will need to be images. Then, move to Dreamweaver and develop the HTML. You can't write HTML and CSS in Fireworks, it isn't made for that, just as Dreamweaver isn't made for image editing.

As for your other question, there is no perfect size for browsers. The question is related to the screen resolution of your target audience. You need to understand your audience: if they're using lower screen resolutions or higher. (For example, I have a 20" widescreen monitor, so my resolution is 1600x1050 pixels. I rarely run browsers at full-screen width, though, because 1600 pixels wide is much wider than most designs.) I usually design for 800 pixels and center that design on a background of some sort. I expect that most users will have a 1024x768 resolution screen or better, and and 800 pixels will fit within a 1024 screen, even with browser borders and scrollbars.

A common way to create a centered design is to use a div for all your content and center that div.

• 6. Re: how to bring text field to live
                    AlkingX Level 1

Dear Pixlor

Thank you boss for your reply. What you said is totally right, I wish I'm your pupil to learn from you something in the world of website designing. Anyway thanks brother you are the pro....