9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 3:08 PM by PhotoChallenged

Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9

PhotoChallenged

I am trying to import a home video that is burned on a DVD. File structure on the DBD shows up as a VOB file (there are seven separate ones on the disc). When I do the import (all at once or individually) the file 001 and 002 are erroring out with a "generic error" from the importer, but the remaining files are importing correctly. I cannot find any reference to a "generic error" or what to do about it.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A "pure video" VOB will import, a VOB which contains navigation information (a menu) may not

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549?tstart=0

Edit Vob http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_import_VOB_files_/_edit_a_DVD%3F

• 2. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
            nealeh Level 5
            • Do the files that do import contain all the video footage? If so it may just be the stuff related to menus.
            • To eliminate the possibility of a faulty or dirty disk, copy the whole video_ts folder to your hard drive and try to import from there.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you know the program, or device, that authored and burned that DVD?

It is quite likely that the Menu and navigation system (VOB 1) has a problem. DVR's do rudimentary navigation systems, that do not comply with the DVD-specs. very well. That is also one reason that some will not play in any device, except one of the same make/model, that created them.

Not sure why VOB 2 would be an issue though, as Menus and navigation cannot span VOB's, like the enclosed MPEG-2's can.

It will likely be that you will need to rip the MPEG-2 files from the VOB's to get them into PrE for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, are you using a purchased, registered version of the program or a trial download? There are components in the program that can't be activated until you purchase and register the program.

Also, when you start your new project, make sure you've selected the settings for Hard Disk, Flash Camcorder or you'll run into problems later with these types of files.

• 5. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
                  PhotoChallenged Level 1

Thank you for your information.

The PE9 that I am using is a fully licensed, in-the-box version. The DVD that I am trying to get input from was created by a combo tape/DVD recorder copying a tape to the DVD. I no longer have the source tape,so I am stuck with whatever is on the DVD.

I read Bill Hunt's 7/19/09 "The Lowdown" article (thanks for sending the link, it was very helpful) and Bill's posting in this string. It looks like what I need to do is "rip" the software to MPEG-2.

Do you have any suggestions as to the best software to use for this purpose?

• 6. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Though a little old now, Jeff Bellune's Encore FAQ on ripping should still be useful.

Good luck, and dang those DVR and DVD/WHS units!

Hunt

• 7. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
                      nealeh Level 5

First, clean the disk using a standard disk cleaning solution from any audio or computer shop. Then see if all the VOBs come in. If not load the good VOBs (three to seven) into PRE then use Share to output them to DV-AVI's. These AVI's will be more easily edited in PRE. For the problematic VOBs (one and two) did you try copying them to your hard disk first? If not then try to do so and see if you can get them into PRE from your hard disk.

By the way does the DVD play fine in your DVD player? If so, and you have (or can borrow) a camcorder with AV inputs, then connect it to your DVD Players outputs and record the missing footage to it. You should then be able to load the camcorder clips to PRE.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Some users have also had good luck by copying a slightly damaged DVD to a high-quality blank. The free ImgBurn program will allow disc copying. I have "saved" a couple of damaged DVD's with this process. As I have two different burners on my workstation, it's a very simple and easy process. With a single burner, it takes a bit longer, as the source DVD must first be copied to the HDD, and then to a high-quality blank.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9
                          PhotoChallenged Level 1

Neale

THe DVD plays fine in DVD players, it is just the first two VOB files that always error out. All of the VOB's get copied onto the hard drive but they do not show up in the project and there is a "Generic error message" telling me that it erred out. The remaining VOB's edit just fine.

Fortunately what I was looking for was on the third VOB and therefore I avoided the problem this time. However, the future, I will try copying to the hard disk first and see if it will import. Good thought about using the camcorder also.

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:31:48 -0600

To: york_freund@hotmail.com

Subject: Generic Error importing VOB files in PE9

First, clean the disk using a standard disk cleaning solution from any audio or computer shop. Then see if all the VOBs come in. If not load the good VOBs (three to seven) into PRE then use Share to output them to DV-AVI's. These AVI's will be more easily edited in PRE. For the problematic VOBs (one and two) did you try copying them to your hard disk first? If not then try to do so and see if you can get them into PRE from your hard disk.

By the way does the DVD play fine in your DVD player? If so, and you have (or can borrow) a camcorder with AV inputs, then connect it to your DVD Players outputs and record the missing footage to it. You should then be able to load the camcorder clips to PRE.

Cheers,

--

Neale

>