10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 8:36 AM by Jim_Simon

Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)

Toomany3 Level 1

Is there any way to delete whole XDCAM clips from within Premiere's Media Browser?  If not, what is the best way to delete clips from the BPAV folders without messing up the XML data and file structure?

Say, for example, I import XDCAM (Sony EX1) clips using Media Browser and later realize that 3 of my 4 takes are junk and don't need to be:

#1. in my project

#2. on my harddrive, wasting space?

Once they're in Premiere, what's the best way to get them out?  I don't see a delete option anywhere.

• 1. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Select them in the bin and hit the Delete key.  Then use Explorer to delete them from the hard drive.

• 2. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Delete them with Sony Clip Browser and delete them from your PR project.

• 3. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
              Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks.  So I take it there's not convenient way to do it from within Premiere?  That would be so nice!    

• 4. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                Harm Millaard Level 7

No for two reasons:

1. PR is a non-desturctive editing program that does not modify source material

2. The BPAV structure is best left to the Sony Clip Browser, because deleting from Explorer may make a mess of things.

• 5. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

wish it had the Rename file to match clip / clip to match file option that FCP does tho.... wait.... ugh, to the request form I go...

• 6. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                    Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks, guys.  Totally agree with Jayson.  Being able to delete and rename from within PP would make it a complete package.  As it is now, then, we still are dependent on Sony's clunky Clip Browser. 

I like Adobe's Media Browser and especially its ability to import from within the BPAV structure, but it's just a stripped down, incomplete version of Clip Browser at best for now.

• 7. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                      RDA972 Level 3

You can delete a clip in the project bin by right-clicking on it, choosing 'Make offline" and proceeding from there.

Now in the case of XDCAM EX files, you will still have to manually erase what remains of the BPAV structure using Windows Explorer for instance.

• 8. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        Being able to delete and rename from within PP would make it a complete package.  As it is now, then, we still are dependent on Sony's clunky Clip Browser. 

This would be a catastrophe if Premiere could do this. I cannot even begin to imagine the anger this would generate if users had this ability within Premiere and either broke the media or inadvertently deleted it. I agree that better media management tools are necessary for tapeless media, but I don't think that it should ever fall on an NLE to do that level of file management. I've had files break simply by importing them into Premiere, particularly with the metadata injection; being able to manipulate media at the file level is a dangerous concept.

FCP gives you the semblance of doing this, but that's because it doesn't use the native media; it's rewrapping the files into QT MOVs on import, and your originals are untouched. You can do whatever you want with the duplicates--you've always got a fallback. That's why I bristle at comparisons between Premiere and FCP in media handling and management. There are so few parallels between the two that comparisons are ludicrous.

I like Adobe's Media Browser and especially its ability to import from within the BPAV structure, but it's just a stripped down, incomplete version of Clip Browser at best for now.

Show me another NLE that has the ability to preview so many different media formats and import them without any other futzing around. For what it's worth, the "Media Browser" is doing exactly what it's name implies: it's allowing you to browse media and quickly bring it in to work on it. It's aptly named, in that it's not call the "Media Manager." Again, I agree that better tools need to be available for working with tapeless assets, but the onus should be on the camera manufacturers or other third-parties rather than the NLE maker.

• 9. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                          RDA972 Level 3

Hear, hear!

As usual, very well put, Colin.

• 10. Re: Delete Clips from Media Browser (XDCAM)
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            better tools need to be available for working with tapeless assets

This whole issue could be avoided if camera makers would simply start using the MXF container format as it was originally intended, one file holds everything - video, audio, timecode and other metadata.  No folder structure required.  Moving and renaming breaks nothing.  Canon is the first mainstream company to do things correctly here with their 300 series cameras.  RED also seems to do this correctly with their R3D files.  Here's hoping Panny and Sony and whoever else will soon follow for ALL tapeless media.