12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 8:25 AM by kerryajs

Filling in PDF Forms

gambler2010

I have created a form in Reader 9, saved it as a PDF, but can't fill in the blanks after opening it.  What do I need to do, please???

gambler2010

• 1. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

gambler2010 wrote:

I have created a form in Reader 9,

You couldn't have since Reader cannot create forms so can you give some more detail?

gambler2010 wrote:

but can't fill in the blanks after opening it.

Again, how was the PDF created? Is it a scan?

If it's just a PDF that you got somewhere that looks like a form, it doesn't make it fillable. To have a fillable form, you must use Adobe Acrobat to create those fillable fields.

• 2. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
            gambler2010 Level 1

I took a form (with permission), re-typed it into Word, and then saved it as

a PDF.

Used tables and

• 3. Re: Filling in PDF Forms

Ok.

It sounds like you used the PDF engine that comes with Word. That won't create an actual form but only a PDF that looks like a form.

Again, you would need Adobe Acrobat to create the form fields needed so it can be filled in using Adobe Reader.

• 4. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
                gambler2010 Level 1

I have Adobe Acrobat - so i will try it.

can I still use the document I created somehow???

and the program I used was not the program that comes with word as far as I

know.

I used the print/ and then chose the pdf printer but it said it is Adobe 9.

So being a novice, I am not clear on what I did or did not do!

thanks for the help

• 5. Re: Filling in PDF Forms

You can still use the PDF yes.

Open it in Acrobat and use the form tools.

If you have questions about those tools, you'll want to ask them in the Acorbat forum.

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
                    gambler2010 Level 1

Thanks!  Will do so.

• 7. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
                      kerryajs

Easy way to make editable PDF  forms  with Ghostscript and the Ghostscript viewer that look just the same as the original.

Apologies if this topic has been done to death but I never can find anything!

Some have suggested using Powerpoint to make editable PDFs. If you don't have Powerpoint or it won't work for you, there are other ways to do this. I had a PDF form with Chinese characters and found it impossible to find anyway of making it convertible to an editable form that could be filled in and that still showed the Chinese characters....and I have searched for months if not years!

Using Ghostscript and the Ghostscript viewer,  I found it easier to convert to a bitmap356 or Jpeg in a large resolution of 600 to get as clear as possible image. This can take about 30 seconds to do.  You can create a new folder if you like and experiment with different conversion formats but I did find the Jpeg at 600 was quite good.

I then opened the converted PDF with Corel PhotoPaint, though I assume similar paint programs programs may work well as long as they have a Text tool.  Don't despair if you don't have any paint programs as there is a free alternative in “Open Office.”

If you don't have PhotoPaint , which I found a little easier to view, the next best thing is Open Office at  http://www.openoffice.org/ ,  which is free, though a large program. It is often available as a freebie with computer magazines if you don't want to download. But it is very simple to download if you prefer.

Open the “Draw” in Open Office  program and then then open your converted  PDF. I find it easiest to name it as something like XXXjpeg  so you can see easily what form it is in and where it is.

Click on the “T” text icon in the lower left hand corner  and two  little + X symbols appear and you can then drag to create a “Text Square” anywhere you like and then type away . Use the left-hand top drop down menu to choose font style and size. This prints up quite nicely and unlike some PDF editors that don't have an identical form and look,  this really does!  Easy!

• 8. Re: Filling in PDF Forms

I didn't read your post thoroughly but it sounds like a helluva lot more work than simply opening the PDF in Acrobat and using the text field tool to draw text fields.

Plus, I'm not so sure that anyone using Adobe Reader would be able to fill out that form but I haven't tried one before so won't swear to that.

If you really want automation, you could even open the PDF in Acrobat and use the feature to automatically recognize text fields.

• 9. Re: Filling in PDF Forms

Addendum: If you don't have Acrobat, there is a 30 day fully functional trial available on the adobe.com site.

• 10. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
                            kerryajs Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your email. I have Adobe Reader 9.4 and for the life of me, I cannot find a way to enter text. I don't appear to be alone regarding this as many others report the same problem on many different sites. Makes me feel a little less stupid to know that others can't figure it out either!

It appears I have to have the Pro version to enter text into a form. So, while this method  may be a complicated way, it's the only way that I have found that still looks like the original form and is free. In my case,  I needed the Chinese characters and the free PDF converters were not able to do this.

Anyway, I am just an older person who does things by trial and error but , if there is a better way, I would be happy to find out more.

Regards,Kerry.

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 08:32:07 -0700

To: kerryajs@hotmail.com

Subject: Filling in PDF Forms

I didn't read your post thoroughly but it sounds like a helluva lot more work than simply opening the PDF in Acrobat and using the text field tool to draw text fields.

Plus, I'm not so sure that anyone using Adobe Reader would be able to fill out that form but I haven't tried one before so won't swear to that.

If you really want automation, you could even open the PDF in Acrobat and use the feature to automatically recognize text fields.

>

• 11. Re: Filling in PDF Forms

The original poster has Adobe Acrobat so that's why I mentioned it. You don't need to try and do it with Adobe Reader since it can't be done (unless someone with Acrobat has specially enabled the file but we won't get in to that).

I mentioned the trial version of Acrobat mostly for your benefit so you can give it a shot. The downside is that once the trial is up, you have to pay for it and it's not cheap. So, whether it's a better option for you depends on what you need to do. If you just want to fill things out on your own then Ghostview will do. If you want to create forms for others to fill out, you'll want to seriously consider Adobe Acrobat.

kerryajs wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your email. I have Adobe Reader 9.4 and for the life of me, I cannot find a way to enter text.

• 12. Re: Filling in PDF Forms
                                kerryajs Level 1

Thank you very much for the information. I rarely have PDF forms to fill out and never create forms for others so purchasing Acrobat is probably not an option. As a Pensioner, money is rather tight or I would still consider it as I think useful programs deserve to be purchased if possible. Thanks again,

Kerry.

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:14:54 -0700

To: kerryajs@hotmail.com

Subject: Filling in PDF Forms

The original poster has Adobe Acrobat so that's why I mentioned it. You don't need to try and do it with Adobe Reader since it can't be done (unless someone with Acrobat has specially enabled the file but we won't get in to that).

I mentioned the trial version of Acrobat mostly for your benefit so you can give it a shot. The downside is that once the trial is up, you have to pay for it and it's not cheap. So, whether it's a better option for you depends on what you need to do. If you just want to fill things out on your own then Ghostview will do. If you want to create forms for others to fill out, you'll want to seriously consider Adobe Acrobat.