21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 7:12 AM by mottoman600

AVI files with sound only and no video.

mottoman600

When I import AVI files into Premier, I only get the sound track and no video.  Something must be wrong because any other cheap program including windows can play the files fine, but Premier Pro CS5 can't?  How do I solve this problem? Please help because it is very frustrating.

• 1. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

.....read a few posts down....

do you have crapware installed?

are you using a supported codec(not wrapper which avi/mov are)?

• 2. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
            mottoman600 Level 1

I have many programs installed and I use them all for work. But whether programs are called crapware or not, all other programs can play AVI files just fine, so therefore Premier should as well. As far as codec is concerned, I'm learning premier online with Lynda.com so I don't really know much about codecs and the like.

What I do get with avi files is just the sound symbol and no vestige of video.  Thanks for your reply. I have read some other posts but I haven't found the answer.

How do I check if the codec is the right one?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
              mottoman600 Level 1

I just looked up under the files manager and I get these two files

file001

file001_avi.AVD

• 4. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Most often this is caused by people trying to edit media that Premiere simply isn't designed to work with.

Premiere is a professional level editor, and as such it is designed to work with standardized pro-camera formats.  If you stick to using only media you shot yourself using such a supported camera, you should be fine.  If you choose to try and work with any other type of video - such as from a cell phone or an oddball consumer camera, or maybe downloaded from the Internet - then the results can be as you describe.

So, the pertinent questions becomes, where exactly did you get the clips in question?

• 5. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, AVI is but a wrapper. It is what's inside the wrapper that counts. This ARTICLE will give you some background and some tips.

First guess is Xvid/DivX, and second guess is MJPEG.

Let us know what G-Spot says, and someone here will help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                    mottoman600 Level 1

Thank you for the article.  I have downloaded Gspot and the file is a H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. Also interesting, I brought the same video to a slower computer 32bit and into CS4 and the file played just fine. Now on my new computer on windows 7-64bit on CS5 it's giving me problems. When I get home I will download Gspot to my working computer and see what it says. Once again, thank you very much. 

• 7. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It could well be that you do not have a properly installed H.264 on the faster computer. Apple's QT Player installs one, but some users have had issues with it, though usually on Export, not Import. There are two other popular H.264 CODEC's, Lead and MainConcept. Some users have had very good luck with either of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

the file is a H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

That is good info, but we need more.  Where exactly did you get the files from?

• 9. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                          mottoman600 Level 1

The file H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is coming directly from the SD card from my HD consumer camera. I do not recognize the brand because I got it on Ebay and it's a Japanese brand. Based on the design, it looks just like some canon and other ones I've seen. It looks like they sell the camera without a Canon or Panasonic logo on it. Probably it's the company that makes them but somehow sells them cheaper because they don't have the logo. That's just what I'm imagining it to be.

But, yes. The file is coming from a HD camera.

Once again thank you for your help; in just a couple of your answers I have learned a lot .

• 10. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Good.

Next, does the camera actually have the AVCHD logo on it?  Or does it specifiy AVCHD anywhere in the documentation?

Not all H.264 cameras are shooting to the AVCHD standard, which is what Premiere was designed for.  There have been cameras shooting to weird H.264 formats that Premiere has a hard time with.

• 11. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                              Powered by Design Level 4

You are coping the file to your hard drive before trying to edit it right ?

Also a screen capture of what G-Spot shows helps.

GLenn

mottoman600 wrote:

The file H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is coming directly from the SD card from my HD consumer camera.

• 12. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                mottoman600 Level 1

Hi.

I didn't see the AVCHD logo on it. What is making me a little confused and surprised is that I have downloaded Gspot and the program says that the codec is intalled, but the file still does not play, only audio.

What's interesting is that I have used the same exact file on  Windows XP, Premier CS4 and it plays just fine. On the Windows 7-64 bit, CS5 it does not play. Any suggestions.  Once again Gspot does say that the coded is intalled. (I don't know how to make a image of Gspot to give you).

Video info:

H264

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Codec(s) are Installed

1280 x 720

Audio info:

0x0011 (DVI ADPCM

48000Hz  385 kb/s tot (2 chnls)

Thank you very much.

• 13. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                  Powered by Design Level 4

Here is a link for a free screen capture tool.

http://www.howiesfunware.com/loadSideBarMiscSoftware.html

Once installed you can just click your "Print Screen" button and it will save to the folder of your choice.

There is a little check box if you want to only capture the active window too.

GLenn

• 14. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Post deleted due to Jive error and my frustration with having to type it all over again.

• 15. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                      mottoman600 Level 1

It's only giving me a black pitcture of the screesn.

• 16. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

OK. Time out. Stop. Freeze. Halt. Desist. These files aren't going to work in CS5, at least not without installing some really nasty codec packs that you absolutely do not ever want to install.

Here's the deal: H.264 as a codec is supported in Premiere Pro CS5, provided that you are working with the proper/supported container. You can edit H.264 in an MP4 container, or H.264 in an MOV container, but you cannot edit H.264 in an AVI container. The reason is that, since CS5 is a 64-bit application, it requires 64-bit splitter and codecs for playing back various formats. QuickTime is an exception, as it is only 32-bit and Adobe wrote a bridge to allow decoding and encoding to the QuickTime format.

In the case of these H.264 AVIs you have, Premiere has the appropriate splitter and can extract the streams from the AVI (that's why you can hear the audio portion) but there is no 64-bit decoder for H.264 when it is packaged in an AVI container. I don't expect Adobe to support this type of container/codec combo anytime soon, as it's a pretty rotten way of packaging H.264.

So you have a couple of workarounds:

1. Transcode the files to something else in a different application. If you have CS4 still installed on the Windows XP system, open them up there and export them to an uncompressed or lossless format like Lagarith AVI.
                                        2. Demux the AVIs with a third-party tool, and then either remux them, or bring the streams in separately and sync them back up in CS5. My guess would be that the video stream would come in if it had an .MP4 or .M4V extension. I'm not sure what demuxer you'd have to use--I don't have any clips like this so I can't test this workflow.

Any chance you could upload a really short clip somewhere to test out?

• 17. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                          mottoman600 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. 

I have just installed CS4 in my windows 7-64bit and the file plays just fine. The problem seems to be with CS5.  It's interesting that when I purchased the CS5 suite, Adobe also sent me a separate CD just for After Effects and Premier for CS4. I was wonderding why they would do that, but apparently it could be for 2 reasons. 1. Not everybody has 64 bit and CS4 is only 32bit and;   2. They might have expected problems with CS5. Appanrently, even though I paid for a CS5 program I'm going to have to use the CS4 version they sent me.

Adobe should have such problems fixed from the beginning, because any other cheap program can play those files. I understand that Premier is for PRO editing for PRO cameras, but what if one of your clients hands you a file like mine and then you can't work with the files. This is definitely a point to take into account.

I want to thank all of you for taking your time to help me. You have a great day

• 18. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                                            1. Not everybody has 64 bit and CS4 is only 32bit

Correct.

2. They might have expected problems with CS5.

Well, there will always be some snags, but that's not the reason you have CS4 along with CS5. You have CS4 because of the first reason you mentioned.

Appanrently, even though I paid for a CS5 program I'm going to have to use the CS4 version they sent me.

That's your choice; I offered workarounds. This is forward progress, whether any of us likes it or not. Extremely rare and esoteric and consumer (non-professional) formats like the one you're trying to edit are likely to become casualties of such progress. As far as I'm concerned, this is net positive progress.

Adobe should have such problems fixed from the beginning, because any other cheap program can play those files.

What you are construing as "a problem" is, in actuality, "a feature;" that is, the 64-bit nature of Premiere. What is lost--for example, ready editing of formats like yours--is far surpassed by the benefits this provides. You may not be willing to accept those benefits if, as you say:

I understand that Premier is for PRO editing for PRO cameras, but what if one of your clients hands you a file like mine and then you can't work with the files. This is definitely a point to take into account.

It IS for professional level editing--but any professional knows that the tools are only half the story. You figure out ways to cope with the curveballs you're thrown, and you move on. Personally, I'd rather have a sharp knife that does one thing really well, rather than an all-in-one tool that does everything rather poorly. That way, I can invest in a good screwdriver...

Anyway, please realize that I'm not harping on you, personally, but this is a common thread amongst people who come to the forums to complain that Premiere "doesn't work1!!?!?11!1?!!" when it actually works quite well. There are lots of other programs out there that tout their "everything-to-everyone" abilities--even some cheap or free, as you've suggested--and if those work for you, by all means use them. They're only tools in the toolbox.

• 19. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.
                                              mottoman600 Level 1

I'm sorry, I'm just a little frustrated.

I installed CS4 in my computer and now I can't even open CS5 anymore. I have re-installed CS5 and still it does not work. It seems that it's just one problem after another. I want it to work well, but it's just not cooperating.

You seem to know what you're talking about and I appreciate your opinion.  I just need to have my head rest a little because I'm a little burned out trying to figure this out.

Thanks again and have a good day.

• 20. Re: AVI files with sound only and no video.