1 2 Previous Next 68 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 4:52 PM by Gazz52

PE9 Menu background

KB2941 Level 1

I have burned 2-3 DVD's trying to get the DVD menu background to show the pictures I inserted from my files for both the Main Menu 1 and Sene Menu's.  The final DVD burn always show the DVD template pictures that should have been replaced with the drop dowm options.

This is all under  DISC MENU.

I save the project with all the Main menu and Sene menu's looking as I created, but every time I burn a proof copy only the tempale background pictures show up in the burned DVD when I start on a DVD player. Everything else is fine for music and slide shows.

The pictures that I import to the background are from JPG digital pictures.

Why does the burned DVD not refect the saved project's main menu and sene menu's?

KB2941

• 1. Re: PE9 Menu background
          nealeh Level 5

What pixel resolution do those photo's have? High resolution still pictures can cause severe problems on the timeline, so it's a possibility that it is also causing problems in the Menu/Scene stills. Ideally you should resize them, outside of PRE, to your DVD resolution (720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE9 Menu background
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, the still image should match the dimensions of the Menu Set used, and that includes the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio). All of those parameters can be altered in PS, and I assume in PSE (Neale is my PSE guru). Though I do not usually use PrE for DVD authoring, I always prepare my still images to match 100% with the parameters of my Menus (Menu Set in PrE), in Photoshop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE9 Menu background
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

This is definitely not a resolution issue involved with the replacement media. I have seen this issue first hand in the Premiere Elements 9 trial version and now in the purchased Premiere Elements 9. I am currently looking at the problem in depth to find the whys and how widespread it is in Disc Menus.

All this has been brought up in an earlier thread by onlinetravels here.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/739346

Example (same for trial version and purchased)

Fun Template

You can insert an image in the Main Menu area

and

You can insert a background for the upper portion of the Scene Menu

and

The Disc Menus Section Preview reflects those changes

but

In my case, playback of the DVD-VIDEO on the DVD disc has the Main Menu as modified, but the background of the Scene Menu is that of the Adobe Template, NOT the replacement background.

I am looking at this at levels ranging from choice of DVD Template in Disc Menus sections of the program as well as looking at the .psd files for these Premiere Elements 9 files. At this time, I do not know how many DVD Templates are affected by this happening. More to come.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE9 Menu background
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for the report. I had recalled something similar, but had not been able to find that thread yet - you are just better and faster, than I am!

I could not recall any resolution to the "missing" custom background image, and it now seems that you are working to zero in on the issue. As I do not have PrE 9, I cannot help you there.

Good luck, and please report your findings,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE9 Menu background
                  KB2941 Level 1

I started the post and thought the jpg image size might have been the fault, but re-imported the images again in the resized PSD format that I used for my slide show from digital pictures.  Resized to ~1280x960 in PSD format for all of my pictures.  Did another DVD burn and the menu and sene backgrounds still reversed back to the template background even though my project show my pictures.

Other than the menu backgrounds DVD burned and views fine. Background pictures area used within the DVD at the same format and resolution.  Go figure?

Appreciate the dialog here as seems there may actually be a problem that I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve as PE9 is new to me.

KB

• 6. Re: PE9 Menu background
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Reading ATR's reply, it might well be an issue with the program. Unfortunately, I do not have PrE 9 to even help you folk test and explore a possible Bug.

Good luck, and ATR will definitely provide useful info, and observations.

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE9 Menu background
                      Gazz52 Level 1

I have the same issue in PRE9 (please refer to my discussion which was commencennced on Oct 8, 2010 10:36 PM and titled "Placing an image on top of a Menu".) There are other (2?) discussions on the same issue. As there was no resolution via this forum I raised an Adobe support case. The issue is due to be responded to (resolution??) early next week. My support case was opened on 10th October and escalated to 2nd level support (whatever that means) following numerous phone calls.

• 8. Re: PE9 Menu background
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

I am hoping to have an answer for what is going on sometime today.

At this point I believe that the problem or problems is in Premiere Elements 9, not the specific template or in replacement background image resolution. And, in a given template, the problem can hit just the scene menu and in another both the main menu and the scene menu. RESOLUTION OF THE REPLACEMENT BACKGROUND IMAGE  IS DEFINITELY NOT THE CORE PLAYER HERE.

This is the basis for my current thinking on this.

DVD Templates/General/Fun

Test 1. Premiere Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 DVD Template "Fun" in the DVD Template "General" catagory.

a. In Premiere Elements 9, a jpeg photo insert into the main menu shows up in the DVD-VIDEO burned to disc; whereas, the replacement background for the scene menu does not.

b. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 also has a DVD Template named "Fun" in its DVD Template "General" category. And, this "Fun" appears to identical to the one in Premiere Elements 9. HOWEVER, when in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 you replace the insert (main menu) and background (scene menu), these replacements do show up in the DVD-VIDEO burned to disc.

c. Now, if you go to the Premiere Elements program files and switch the Premiere Elements 9 .psd sets involved to Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 .psd sets involved to Premiere Elements 9 .psd sets involved to Premiere Elements 9, NOW the version 9 .psd set works in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and the version 8.0/8.0.1 .psd set has the menu background replacement issue.

SO....the problem tracked the version 9 and not the template itself.

DVD Templates/General/Ladybug Picnic

Test 2. In this case, in Premiere Elements 9, NEITHER the Ladybug Picnic insert (main menu) or the background (scene menu) showed up in the DVD-VIDEO burned to disc.

SO...now we again have the problem tracking the version 9, not the template itself, but affecting both a main menu AND scene menu and not just the main menu.

I am currently busy collecting data on this matter and hope to be able to put this together into something meaningful. I would urge Premiere Elements 9 users to look into this matter for their projects and contact Adobe about this. The more calls and the more posts here on the matter might move the matter up to an Adobe Top Level Support Issue rather than a 2nd Level Support one.

I am not employed or affiliated with Adobe. Just a user such as yourselves.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE9 Menu background
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Good work, and looks like you are on to something there.

I would suggest that documented Bug Reports be filed, so that Adobe can begin working on a fix. This ARTICLE will furnish users with a link, and a few tips.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE9 Menu background
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Have not found the key to this yet, but here is a mid afternoon progress report on the matter of these "disappearing after burn to disc" replacement backgrounds for a growing number of Premiere Elements 9 DVD Templates.

So far I have looked at

Entertainment Category

Peformance Star.........This problem does not occur for main and scene menu.

Art-In-Motion...............This problem does not occur for main and scene menu

Stage.........................Background replacement GONE for both main and scene menu after burn to disc

Broadway...................This problem does not occur for main and scene menu

General Category

Fun............................This problem does not occur for main menu, but background replacement GONE for scene menu

Ladybug Picnic.......... Background replacement GONE for both main and scene menu after burn to disc

Aquarium.................. Background replacement GONE for both main and scene menu after burn to disc

Comicbook................ Background replacement GONE for both main and scene menu after burn to disc

Significant Findings so far:

1. Problem tracks Premiere Elements 9, since the Premiere Elements 9 .psds in question work without issue in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 after they are moved into the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Program Files.

2. So far, with the exception of the Fun Template, it is either

(a) both the main and scene menu have the background replacement GONE at playback of the DVD disc after burn to disc.

or

(b) both the main and scene menu have the background replacement at playback of the DVD disc after burn to disc

3. Also checked out

a. Whether clicking or not clicking DONE before moving on to Share/Disc/DVD had any affect on the issue. IT DID NOT.

b. Whether Previewing or not Previewing the menus before moving on to Share/Disc/DVD had any affect on the issue. IT DID NOT. [This caught my attention since the Premiere Elements 9 Preview in Disc Menus Section now has an Exit Tab which is not present in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1's Preview which just has the usual X top right]

4. It was also established that the pixels dimensions of the image used for background replacement is not a factor in this issue.

To be continued....

ATR

• 11. Re: PE9 Menu background
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

No how to fix for this issue on the user level yet. But I think that I have hit upon something significant. Although I dislike generalizations and speculations, I am tempted to talk to myself out loud, thinking that perhaps “someone” messed up in making those DVD Templates part of the new webDVD share as well as the old Share/Disc/.

Enough of that without proof, here are the facts.

a. I made one more attempt at trying to implicate the DVD Template itself in this issue although previous tests were quite definitive in indicating that it was not at the core of this matter. I went into the .psd of the Entertainment/Stage DVD Template and replaced first the Background Layer content and later the whole Background Layer and its content. Still, when these modified templates were used in a Premiere Elements 9 Share/Disc/DVD project, the replaced replaced Background for the main and scene menu did not display in the playback of the burn to disc product.

b. There is a new Share option in Premiere Elements 9 (webDVD) which allows you to create flash files that contain one of these DVD Templates. So, in webDVD, I took a look at the use of these DVD Menus that did and did not have issues in Share/Disc and found that they gave the same DVD Menu background replacement issue as in Share/Disc/DVD.

c. This webDVD may have provided something to grab on to in figuring out the cause of this problem??? If I used any one of the DVD Templates, like Entertainment/Performance Star, that did display the replaced background in its main and scene menus after burn to disc/playback AND if I looked at the files generated by webDVD/Computer/SD High Quality - NTSC, included in what I found were:

flashdvd.swf………………………….displayed replaced backgrounds, main and scene menus

MAIN_MENU_1.f4V………………..displayed replaced background, main menu

SCENE_MENU_1.f4V………………displayed replaced background, scene menu

Play_webDVD.html………………….displayed replaced backgrounds, main and scene

If I used any one of the DVD Templates, like Entertainment/Stage, that did not display the replaced background in both its main and scene menus after burn to disc/playback AND I looked at the files generated by web DVD/Computer/SD High Quality – NTSC, included in what I found were:

flashdvd.swf…………………………DID NOT display replaced backgrounds, main and scene menus

MAIN_MENU_1.png (NOT .f4V)…..DID NOT display replaced background, main menu

SCENE_MENU_1.png (NOT .f4V)....DID NOT display replaced background, scene menu

Play_webDVD.html………………….DID NOT display replaced backgrounds, main and scene menus.

Now for the punch line….

If I used the DVD Template, General/Fun, the only one so far that worked OK for the main menu but not for the scene menu and went through the same process, included in what I found were:

flashdvd.swf………………………… displayed replaced backgrounds for main but not for scene menu.

MAIN_MENU_1.f4V……………… displayed replaced background for main menu

SCENE_MENU_1.png…………… DID NOT display replaced background for scene menu

Play_webDVD.html………………….displayed replaced background for main but not for scene menu.

So now I seem to have two things tracking the issue

a. for Share/Disc/DVD, the problem tracks Premiere Elements 9 in contrast to the DVD templates

and

b. in the webDVD, the problem again tracks Premiere Elements 9 in contrast to the DVD template BUT in addition the problem is tracking whether the MAIN_MENU_1 and/or SCENE_MENU_1. file is .f4V (works) or .png (does not work).

We may be getting to a point where only the people who put together this version can fix it. Nonetheless I will keeping looking for a user answer as we await an Adobe response.

To be continued....

ATR

• 12. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                Gazz52 Level 1

ATR... "your blood is worth bottling". I trust you understand this expression (I am Australian) but perhaps what I should say is it that I am deeply impressed with your efforts!

Currently I have 2 major projects (weddings) which are "complete" except for this background menu issue. Like you I tried to find a reason, a workaround but in the end gave up, coming to the conclusion that the issue must be somewhere in the code and hence can only be resolved by Adobe technical.

• 13. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

I suspect that it will be Adobe's call on how to fix this issue without workarounds, but, if you are on a time crunch, here is a suggested workaround which I think will work for you. It has for me on some of my test cases.

Go to the Premiere Elements 9 program files and the .psds for the DVD Template that you want to use, and change the Background Layer content or the whole Background Layer there. And, when you are in your Premiere Elements 9 project's Disc Menus section, then just select the modified menu (NO background changes at that level). Of course, I would work on/modify a copy of the original DVD template in this workaround.

If you are uncertain on the details of doing this, please post the specific DVD Template involved as well as the project's "project preset in the new project dialog", and I will post a detailed how to.

Example of the Premiere Elements 9 program files folder/file structure for this....

Say you wanted to modify the Entertainment category's Stage DVD Template (main and scene menu)

(Based on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\DVD Templates\Common\Entertainment

a. You would open the Stage Folder in the Entertainment Category to reveal the assets of that template.

b. You would make a copy of the .psd set (main and scene) that you intend to open and modify in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (go for version 6 or higher).

If you were going for DVD-VIDEO Standard in your Premiere Elements project, you would pick

stage_pal_s_sm.psd and stage_pal_s_mm.psd

If you were going for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen, you would pick

stage_pal_w_sm.psd and stage_pal_w_mm.psd

For each of the copies, you would right click the file, select Properties, uncheck Read Only, click Apply/OK. I would rename these files by calling them

modifiedstage_pal_s_sm.psd and modifiedstage_pal_s_mm.psd

or as the case my be

modifiedstage_pal_w_sm.psd and modifiedstage_pal_w_mm.psd

c. You would create a folder named Modified Stage, place those .psd files in that folder, and then place the Modified Stage Folder in the Entertainment Folder.

d. When you open Premiere Elements 9 Disc Menus, you will find your Modified Stage Folder and its content as an choice in the Entertainment category choices.

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 14. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                    Gazz52 Level 1

ATR,

Again many thanks for the work you have done. I proceeded to do as you advised. btw... I am using the Wedding template "Elegant".

When opening up the files I note the widescreen image is 720x576?? Is that the correct size or should the width be greater than 720? With this doubt in my mind I opened the standard size template and found the image size to be the same i.e. 720x576. I have not taken any further action at this stage. Awaiting your advice

Gazz52

• 15. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                      nealeh Level 5

For standard DVD dimensions will be 720x480 for NTSC, or 720x576 for PAL. Looking at the DVD Template all PSD's are PAL size so yes, what you are seeing is correct.

Additionally, randomly comparing a template for PRE9, only the PSD files are changed:

1.png

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                        Gazz52 Level 1

Neale,

My doubt is (still) based on the image dimensions for Standard Vs Widescreen. Why would both file image sizes be the same i.e. 720 x 576. Shoudn't the Widescreen be differient i.e. a greater/higher value?

Gazz52

• 17. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

Both DVD-VIDEO standard and widescreen have the same frame size (720 x 480 pixels - NTSC or 720 x 576 - PAL). In the case of widescreen there is a 16:9 flag included to stretch the video for display after encoding.

Hopefully by tomorrow I will post a step by step for your Wedding Elegant background replacements (the workaround way). Just confirm:

a. Your Premiere Elements project preset (new project dialog) = PAL DV Widescreen

and

b. Please give the current pixel dimension of the image that you want to use as a replacement background for the main menu and/or scene menu.

It is easy to do, you just need to sort out the details. Were you planning on adding 30 sec looping audio (audio is looping one way or the other and the 30 sec is max allowed) of your own in this case? I have not looked to see if there was any problems with audio insertion or replacement in these menus. I will do that tonight.

Coming attractions:

The Premiere Elements 9 Wedding category/Elegant .psd files that you will be modifying for your PAL DV Widescreen project will be

Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd

and

Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd

The image size is already set in the .psd that you will open in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. So, we will not be changing the existing "image size" in the .psd.

In either .psd opened in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, Image Menu/Resize/Image Size/Image Resize dialog will show you that the image size (frame size of your type of project = 720 x 576. You will be replacing that bottom layer in the Layers Palette named "background". You can replace just the contents or the whole layer and its contents.

At another forum, not so long ago, I post a very detailed account of DVD Template Creation. You might want to browse through it. It is on the long side but lots of details. My step by step to be posted for you here tomorrow will be directed to your specific situation and goal.

To be continued....

ATR

• 18. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                            Gazz52 Level 1

ATR... I have followed your instructions (I think). Unfortunately after selecting the modified file (Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd) I do not see the template with the replaced background image. To restate... I copied & renamed the Wedding/Elegant folder, changed the file properties, replaced the background layer with my required image, saved and closed the file. Opened PRE9 and selected the "Wedding/Modified Elegant" drop down from the Disc Menu when I am presented with the standard template (see below - please note this is only a test project)

Screen shot 1.jpg

I confrim the project settings are PAL HDV Widescreen and I did not change the image size of the required background image (which meant there is an overlap of the image i.e. only a small part of the image can be seen in PSE (this does not seem to be correct to me??). Also Audio is not a requirement.

Please note in the screen shot... black bands are present on the main menu but not on the secene menu??

Perhaps it's best I wait for your step by step instructions...

Many thanks again.

Gazz52

• 19. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

In working up a strategy to get around the DVD Menu background replacement issue of Premiere Elements 9 (detailed in prior posts here), I ran into still another when I looked at this Wedding/Elegant DVD Template. The additional problem with this menu is that, in a Premiere Elements 9 PAL DV Widescreen project, the applied Elegant DVD Template Main Menu presents as if it were Standard whereas the Scene Menu presents, as expected, as Widescreen. And, when you burn to disc, using the menu as is (no modifications of .psds or elsewhere), the menus on the DVD-VIDEO present with that Standard-look for the Main Menu and Widescreen-look for the Scene Menu.

In this specific case, the fix for this “Standard-looking Main Menu in a Widescreen project” is to remove the elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf from the Elegant Folder in the Wedding Folder.

OK, you say a bad elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf or bad companion .psd files (Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd  or Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd). But, if you take these three Premiere Elements 9 files into the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 program files and use them as the source for the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Wedding/Elegant, there is no problem re: this most recently discovered problem or with the background replacement issues.

Important factors to remember in the specific case of the Wedding/Elegant.

a. The project preset (new project dialog) determines which set of DVD Templates will be available. So, with the PAL DV Widescreen project preset, you would expect the following components in the Elegant Folder to be evoked by the program:

elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf

Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd

Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd

But there appears to be nothing "wrong" within these specific files since they function as expected in a counterpart situation in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

b. Very very important  to note in this specific case is that the main menu background is in reality the swf video, NOT the background layer that you see in the main menu .psd. So as long as that swf stays in that folder with its name directing it to the main menu, it will appear as the main menu even if you physically replace the background layer in the main menu .psd.

More details on that point will be discused later if necessary.

c. Important, what is going on again tracks Premiere Elements 9 and not these files.

Be that as it may, as I see it, here is the workaround for using Premiere Elements 9 Wedding/Elegant.

1. If you want to salvage Elegant as is, remove the elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf. You will sacrifice the motion of the flowers in mid-frame of the main menu, but your sizing will be appropriate.

2. If you want to customize the backgrounds of the main and scene menus

a. First, do not have an elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf file in the ModifiedElegant Folder.

b. For each of the main and scene menus, delete the background layer of the .psd and replace it with an image sized to about 1027 x 576 for your PAL DV Widescreen project. Save the modified menus.

c. Please re-read by prior how to comments and, if you need for me to fine tune the details of the modification within Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, please let me know.

As I go through these explorations, I am not sure what to expect next.

Again, it is time for Adobe to jump into this and for good reason. Nevertheless, I will continue to look into these problems.

To be continued….

ATR

• 20. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                Gazz52 Level 1

ATR...

No luck with your guide. I have followed your instructions - initially on Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd and then on Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd (checking the result in the project in between both file mods). The .swf file has been deleted. I only see the standard templates after selecting the modified elegant wedding drop down.

Gazz52

• 21. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

After you modify Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd and Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd, close out of the program files, are you opening Premiere Elements 9 with the project preset (new project dialog) = PAL DV Widescreen? And, when you get to the Disc Menu Section are you actually "applying" your modified Elegant or just looking at its thumbnail in the list of menu offerings in the Disc Menu Section without applying it?

Please watch for a private message that I will be sending you right after I post this message.

Do not give up.

ATR

• 22. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

To dot the i's and cross the t's on this matter, I am posting the details that I have been discussing with you via the Private Message System here and that you have said was a successful workaround for you with this Wedding/Elegant DVD Template for a widescreen Premiere Elements 9 project.

To recap, you wanted to get out a wedding DVD-VIDEO widescreen for which you wanted to use the Wedding/Elegant DVD Template. The workaround that I suggested for this problem is as follows.

In this instance, there were two problems:

a. NEW…in spite of the fact that the user had a DV Widescreen project preset, the main menu was presenting as if it were standard while the scene menu was presenting, as expected, as widescreen.

b. ORIGINAL ISSUE…the replaced background for main and scene menus displayed properly in the Disc Menus Section Preview Window after application of the menu to the project, however after burn to disc the replaced backgrounds were gone from main and scene menus, TV displaying the backgrounds designed by Adobe.

Workaround 1.

If you have a Premiere Elements 9 DV Widescreen project and want to use the Elegant DVD Template as is (no customization of main and scene menus), then

a. Go to the Premiere Elements program files

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\DVD Templates\Common\Wedding\(V) Elegant

and remove the elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf file from the Elegant Folder.

Workaround 2.

If you have a Premiere Elements 9 DV Widescreen project and want to use the Elegant DVD Template with customized background for main and scene menus, then you are going to have to modify the .psd for the main menu and the .psd for the scene menu at the Program Files level, using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

This user had a 1920 x 1080 image that he wanted to use as a background in main and scene menu. The following is the detailed instructions that I offered and that he reported worked for him.

1. I cropped by source jpeg image to 1027 x 576 pixels in Photoshop Elements 9 and saved that cropped image to the computer Desktop.

2. Then I went to the Premiere Elements 9 program files

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\DVD Templates\Common\Wedding\(V) Elegant

and made copies of

Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd

and

Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd

and pasted these copies to the computer Desktop. For each of these files, I right clicked the file, selected Properties, unchecked Read Only, followed by Apply, then OK. I re-named the files

ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd

and

At the Desktop, I created a Folder which I named Modified Elegant and in it placed the above renamed .psd files. From there I opened the ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd into Photoshop Elements 9.

a. Collapsed all the Layer Groups so that I saw just the Layer Groups and not their contents. Clicked on “background” Layer at the bottom of the Layer Groups, right clicked it, clicked on Delete to get rid of the original background layer.

b. Then, File Menu/Open and opened the 1027 x 576 photo in Photoshop Element 9…at this point, I had the 1027 x 576 image on screen and the ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd file could be seen in the Project Bin….with the Move Tool active, dragged the on screen 1027 x 576 image from there into the ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd in the Project Bin.

c. At this point, I saw the photo inserted into the Layers Palette for the .psd file (in this process the photo is now in a layer named Layer 1)…I.clicked and dragged Layer 1 to the bottom of the Layers Palette and rename it background…for reference, the graphic Layer Group should be directly above this background layer.

d. Looked on screen…if you see that your image is not filling the right and left edges of the template (transparent right and left edge there) hold down the Alt Key and click and drag either the left or right point of the image's bounding box until the left side and right side transparent spaces are filled with the image. Holding down the Alt Key will get both edges done at the same time…only a very vert minor adjustment is needed here….NO MATTER WHAT YOU SEE ON SCREEN DO NO MORE THAN THAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CORRECT WHAT MIGHT LOOK LIKE DISTORTION.

e. Save and close the modified .psd for the main menu.

Did a similar procedure for the scene menu.

3. At this point I had

ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd and ModifiedElegant_pal_w_sm.psd in the Modified Elegant Folder on the Desktop.

4. Then I placed the Modified Elegant Folder in the Wedding Folder in the DVD Template Folder. The path was

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\DVD Templates\Common\Wedding\

5. Then I opened Premiere Elements 9 with a project preset (new project dialog) = PAL or NTSC DV Widescreen and, when in Disc Menus, I selected and applied the menus in the Modified Elegant category and exported (burn to DVD) with the preset for PAL or NTSC DVD-VIDEO.

Hopefully we will hear from Adobe soon so that we can customized these DVD Menus as advertised.

ATR

Add On...I thought that I had posted the link to a thread that I had written on Premiere Elements DVD Template creation, but I guess I forgot to do that and I cannot go back to reopen that post. So, I will insert that link at the bottom of this post for anyone who is interested in a comprehensive account on this topic.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56244

• 23. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                      Gazz52 Level 1

ATR,

The info is correct except for Workaround 1. Workaround No#1 I don't believe

is required. When using Adobe Templates there is no problem. The problem

only occurs when you want to use a background image.

Will your workaround be sent to Adobe technical? If so, can I be kept

informed of any developments please?

Thanks again,

Gary

…in spite of the fact that the user had a DV Widescreen project

preset, the main menu was presenting as if it were standard while the scene

menu was presenting, as expected, as widescreen.

b. ORIGINAL ISSUE…the replaced background for main and scene menus displayed

properly in the Disc Menus Section Preview Window after application of the

menu to the project, however after burn to disc the replaced backgrounds

were gone from main and scene menus, TV displaying the backgrounds designed

by Adobe.

Workaround 1.

If you have a Premiere Elements 9 DV Widescreen project and want to use the

Elegant DVD Template as is (no customization of main and scene menus), then

a. Go to the Premiere Elements program files

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\DVD

Templates\Common\Wedding\(V) Elegant

and remove the elegant_pal_w_mm_bg.swf file from the Elegant Folder. 

Workaround 2.

If you have a Premiere Elements 9 DV Widescreen project and want to use the

Elegant DVD Template with customized background for main and scene menus,

then you are going to have to modify the .psd for the main menu and the .psd

for the scene menu at the Program Files level, using Photoshop or Photoshop

Elements.

This user had a 1920 x 1080 image that he wanted to use as a background in

main and scene menu. The following is the detailed instructions that I

offered and that he reported worked for him.

1. I cropped by source jpeg image to 1027 x 576 pixels in Photoshop Elements

9 and saved that cropped image to the computer Desktop.

2. Then I went to the Premiere Elements 9 program files

Templates\Common\Wedding\(V) Elegant

and made copies of

Elegant_pal_w_mm.psd

and

Elegant_pal_w_sm.psd

and pasted these copies to the computer Desktop. For each of these files, I

right clicked the file, selected Properties, unchecked Read Only, followed

by Apply, then OK. I re-named the files

and

At the Desktop, I created a Folder which I named Modified Elegant and in it

placed the above renamed .psd files. From there I opened the

ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd into Photoshop Elements 9.

a. Collapsed all the Layer Groups so that I saw just the Layer Groups and

not their contents. Clicked on “background” Layer at the bottom of the Layer

Groups, right clicked it, clicked on Delete to get rid of the original

background layer.

b. Then, File Menu/Open and opened the 1027 x 576 photo in Photoshop Element

9…at this point, I had the 1027 x 576 image on screen and the

ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd file could be seen in the Project Bin….with the

Move Tool active, dragged the on screen 1027 x 576 image from there into the

ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd in the Project Bin.

c. At this point, I saw the photo inserted into the Layers Palette for the

.psd file (in this process the photo is now in a layer named Layer

1)…I.clicked and dragged Layer 1 to the bottom of the Layers Palette and

rename it background…for reference, the graphic Layer Group should be

directly above this background layer.

d. Looked on screen…if you see that your image is not filling the right and

left edges of the template (transparent right and left edge there) hold down

the Alt Key and click and drag either the left or right point of the image's

bounding box until the left side and right side transparent spaces are

filled with the image. Holding down the Alt Key will get both edges done at

the same time…only a very vert minor adjustment is needed here….NO MATTER

WHAT YOU SEE ON SCREEN DO NO MORE THAN THAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CORRECT WHAT

MIGHT LOOK LIKE DISTORTION.

e. Save and close the modified .psd for the main menu.

Did a similar procedure for the scene menu.

3. At this point I had

ModifiedElegant_pal_w_mm.psd and ModifiedElegant_pal_w_sm.psd in the

Modified Elegant Folder on the Desktop.

4. Then I placed the Modified Elegant Folder in the Wedding Folder in the

DVD Template Folder. The path was

Templates\Common\Wedding\

5. Then I opened Premiere Elements 9 with a project preset (new project

dialog) = PAL or NTSC DV Widescreen and, when in Disc Menus, I selected and

applied the menus in the Modified Elegant category and exported (burn to

DVD) with the preset for PAL or NTSC DVD-VIDEO.

Hopefully we will hear from Adobe soon as that we can customized these DVD

Menus as advertised.

ATR

• 24. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                        KB2941 Level 1

You are working way above my head on the work around and really appreciate that there is some serious dialog here to resolve the issue.  An earlier comment was to have more users contact ADOBE to elevate a solution which I did 11/8/10.  I directed them to this forum, which they found.  Hope that helps push the program fix that appears to be not just me.

• 25. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gazz52

Workaround 1 is definitely needed even if you use the Widescreen project/Elegant DVD Template without any modifications that is...as is. I have repeated and repeated that testing and have gotten the same results each time.

If you use a NTSC or PAL project preset (new project dialog)....NTSC DV Widescreen or PAL DV Widescreen.... and if you apply the Wedding/Elegant choice,

you end up with a "standard" looking main menu AND a "widescreen" looking scene menu. You can see this in the Disc Menu Section Preview Window and can see this in the playback of the DVD-VIDEO on the TV via its DVD player and the playback of the DVD-VIDEO on the computer with a program such as CyberLink Power DVD.

I know that using the Wedding/Elegant with customized background was your goal, but I thought that I would include workaround 1 so that others would not think that they could use the unmodified Adobe background (as is) to escape the problems encountered with replaced background.

I have no affiliation or influence with Adobe Technical or Development. I do not know anyone at that company nor am I related to anyone there. In the past, I sense that it tends to respond to issues when enough noise is made about them. The intent of my details was to try to nudge someone in one of those Departments to take a hard look at the inner workings of Premiere Elements 9 and come up with a fix for the present situation with the Premiere Elements 9 DVD Templates. I have just looked at a handful. Further studies may or may not reveal more than the two types of irregularities that I have seen so far.

If I get any news about this matter, be assured that I will post them immediately.

I appreciate that you and the other users have expressed interest in this matter and are making your comments known to the Premiere Elements community here and Adobe.

ATR

• 26. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

KB2941

Thanks for your help and support.

ATR

• 27. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                              olidom49 Level 1

Hello!
                                                              First, I apologize for my bad english- I'm french!
                                                              A few years ago, I used PRE 1 and I have noticed that it was impossible to move the thumbnails in the second (and others) menu screen. It was very easy to move them, after having unlocked the "read only" in the folder containing the templates.(DVD Templates/common/...click right, property..)
                                                              I just tried the same thing with that damned PRE 9, and guess what happened, that works well!! I have tried it with a template which doesn't work before (read only locked), I haven't tested all the templates, not the time!!

• 28. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                Braunsky Level 1

Has Adobe responded at all?  This problem was noted a year ago and still no response, no fix?

I just found this problem with the Art in Motion DVD menu.  When I place an image in the frame on the initial page of the main menu, which is not only allowed but a feature of this menu, that image disappears whenever I burn a DVD, leaving only a black hole in the frame in my menu.  It also disappears if I render any portion of the project.  This is extremely frustrating.  I burned one test DVD without a problem, made final minor corrections (fading in one clip, adjusting audio gain, nothing major) and then found the black hole where the nice picture on the museum wall used to be.  ARGHH

• 29. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                  Gazz52 Level 1

Hello,

Still no fix yet! I contacted Adobe Australia by phone about 4 weeks ago to follow up (complain). They re-directed my problem to support (India). Support is not able to give any indication when a fix will be released. Very unsatisfactory. Due to this problem and other requirements, I have acquired Adobe Production Premium suite.

Regards,

Gary

• 30. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                    Braunsky Level 1

Dang.  That sucks.  You bought Premiere Premium and not Premier Pro?  Does

it contain DVD menus that worked?  (From the absence of anguished buyer's

remorse I'm guessing it does work.) 

Did you look at Premiere Pro?  I wonder if it is significantly superior to

Premiere Elements?

Did you also buy the full blown Photoshop?

Thanks for your reply.

SB

• 31. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                      Braunsky Level 1

Sorry - I spaced out on the fact that you said you bought the Production

Premium Suite, which contains Premiere Pro, thus making my question

nonsensical.  In your opinion does Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium

solve a substantial number of problems that existed with Elements?

SB

• 32. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                        Gazz52 Level 1

Hello SB,

Production Premium (I have CS5 version) is a software suite which contains about 12 applications including Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects and Encore (the application used to produce menus for DVD etc) Yes, it does work. The suite is the "Pro" version. It requires more (a lot more) product knowledge to obtain results. I have invested a substantial amount of learning time (6 months to date) and now able to produce good results.

Gary

• 33. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                          Braunsky Level 1

I wondered about the learning curve.  Adobe Bridge and a better video editor

are attractive to me.  I'm a hobbiest with above average computer/program

skills but more than full time job, so I am not particularly interested in

investing huge amounts of time learning a new Adobe way.  I am very

disappointed with PRE9.  I used PSE 4 / PRE2 for several years.  9 has many

shiny new features, but what good are they if the program is buggy and not

stable?  The menu bug is particularly annoying.  How could they not make

this a priority fix?

SB

• 34. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                            Braunsky Level 1

One more question G.  Were you able to try out the suite before buying?  I'd

like to download it and try it but I am just a bit concerned it might

interfere or corrupt existing Element programs or projects.  Thanks!

SB

• 35. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                              Gazz52 Level 1

The CS5 route requires good computer skills, time to learn and then apply to reinforce. You will not be learning "a new Adobe way" if you were to invest in the Pro version e.g. keyframes are basically the same, terms used are the same. There is so much more you can do and not much is "automated". I almost gave up after 3 months but am pleased I persevered. I do have the time (semi-retired). I could not achieve what I do now without Adobe's Classroom in a Book for each of the major applications and following online video tutorials (Adobe & YouTube mainly).

Like you I have had 4 versions of PRE/PSE including V.9 and found each version to have its own issues. I remain very surprised that such a large company can get away with this. It is one thing to have issues but not being able to address them in a timely manner is unsatisfactory.

Gary

• 36. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                                Gazz52 Level 1

No I did not use a trial version. I jumped right in! No projects or PRE/PSE 9 were affected.

Gary

• 37. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

I strongly urge EVERYONE to file a Bug Report. That does get Adobe's attention, and the more (obviously one per person please) that are filed, the higher the priority of any patch, fix, etc. Adobe reads each of these, and use them to prioritize what the developers and engineers work on first.

When one calls C/S, or T/S, there will most likely never be Bug Report filed from their end. I feel that this would be completely true with T/S, due to the nature of that support, and the fact that it is still outsourced. The first few levels of Technical Support personnel only read from a script. They do not do anything but answer the phone, ask some basic questions, and then find their spot in the script. I cannot believe that they file any paperwork, heading back to Adobe development. We need to get directly to development, and the Bug Report/Feature Request is the way to do so. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Adobe reads these, and then acts upon all that they can replicate. They know of the issue, as Bug Reports have been filed. The reason for everyone doing so, is to bump the priority UP the chart. A few members of the staff do nothing but "open the mail" and then put a number into a column on a spreadsheet, indicating the number of reports of the same problem. When that column gets to a certain point, the priority goes up a notch, and then another, and then another.

In my naivete, I would think that this would be an easy fix for Adobe, but maybe there is something deeper to it. I would anticipate that it would be just a re-creation of the PSD's, that make up the Menu Sets, and then the release of a patch with the new PSD's, to replace the ones, that shipped and installed. However, as PrE does the authoring semi-automatically, there could well be some code in the authoring modules, that will need a re-write, so it might transcend just the mere Assets. That would take more work and more time, and could explain why a "fix" has not been issued yet. I just do not know where the Bug resides - in the Assets, or in the authoring modules' code.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 38. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

That is a good distillation of PrE vs PrPro. I agree completely, though do have to admit that I was using (and still do) PrPro well before PrE. It took me as long to translate PrPro-speak to PrE-speak, as it did to learn PrPro in the first place, but then I did have a bit of a leg-up, as I had been doing video-editing on AVID systems before.

That said, and this Bug aside, PrE is a very useful program and fills a niche well. PrPro does the same, but for a different niche.

Good luck to all, and please, everyone, fill in one Bug Report on this issue. It kills the full functionality of part of the authoring aspect of PrE - one that is neatly built-in, unlike with PrPro, where one must go to Adobe Encore for all authoring.

Hunt

• 39. Re: PE9 Menu background
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I have long suspected that the issue of the Premiere Elements 9 and the missing replacement background in the burn to disc DVD-VIDEO goes deeper than just "fixing" a given DVD Template .psd file in the program's program files.

I recently went "Blu-ray" with Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 and did well focusing on the burn to, and then decided to do quick comparisons of burn to Blu-ray with Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, and 9/9.0.1 on the same computer and ran into some very strange behavior with regard to the menus and burn to Blu-ray and DVD-VIDEO. My results to be detailed soon in a thread format at the forum that I frequent (and here if you would like) suggest that these menu problems are less or not related to menu .psd structure and more related to the Adobe programming of the Disc Menu feature for that specific problematic menu. The issues that I encountered are aside from the classical whether stop markers work in Blu-ray vs DVD-VIDEO.

To be continued....

ATR

1 2 Previous Next