• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to generate a single xml or text file from multiple topics of RH?

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH to generate online help in .chm format. I want to implement field-level context sensitive help in our product, but our developers can only identify a html file other than a paragraph in a html file.

I am not going to use the 'what's this help' in robohelp since the exe or dll file is not avaliable until the end of development (our product is keeping changing all the way to the end. ), which is too late for me to write content for all the field.

I am thinking to write a single file for all field-level content where developers can search the desired content. My question is

Is there a way to generate a such file with paragraphs in my exiting topics, thus I do not need to write them twice.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ming Meng and welcome to the RH community.

I have to say I am unclear exactly what you want to achieve. I appreciate the issues with your developers but surely if they want field level help they have to give you time to provide it. Perhaps all you need is to export the topics to Word using the Printed Documentation single source layout?

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. My question is

Is it possible to generate a context.txt file that can be used for our field-level context sensitive help without using the What's this Help feature of RH.

I think I could write a small piece of code to scan all html files and pick parargraphs needed to generate the context.txt file, but I am wondering that if I could do this within RH. The content of this context file is from all my exiting topics. I do not want to write a seperate file line by line because all content needed is in our topics already.

Hope I made myself clear this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you considered adding a bookmark to the paragraphs and then using that as part of the call from the application. This would negate the need for a context.txt file.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp