3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 1:53 PM by ECBowen

CUDA acceleration and Aja Kona LHi output on Mac

Tapio Haaja

Hi,  I hope some of you can answer my question. I'm getting mixed information right now. So can I have CUDA acceleration turned on when outputtin picture through Aja Kona Lhi? Or is it so that CUDA and I/O devices such as Blackmagic/Aja cards don't work together?  Best Tapio

• 1. Re: CUDA acceleration and Aja Kona LHi output on Mac
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That has been a driver challenge that the I/O device manufacturers have been working on. It was not a limitation of the hardware or the MPE engine. Right now the Blackmagic and Matrox Drivers are allowing the MPE acceleration. Aja I am not sure since we have not tested one recently. However, unless you have an Nvidia card on the Mac, it won't matter anyway. Do you have one of the previous Mac Pro's?

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CUDA acceleration and Aja Kona LHi output on Mac
            Tapio Haaja Level 1

Hi Eric,

and thanks for your quick reply. We have in my workplace 10 Mac Pros (2006, 2008 and 2009) with Aja Kona LHe/LHis. I was just thinking that maybe we should buy Nvidia Quadros for some machines and try working with Premiere Pro CS5 + CUDA on some projects. At the moment we are FCP house. But your information that CUDA works on Blackmagic makes it seem that we should put some pressure to AJA build new drivers

Tapio

• 3. Re: CUDA acceleration and Aja Kona LHi output on Mac
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Those Mac Pro's should be fine with the Nvidia cards. The new ones are not approved with them and are not supported according to Apple. It took Blackmagic several months to get the driver worked out to allow the MPE in a Blackmagic project so I am not suprised if AJA is still working on it. I will say that we have not tried the MPE with the Blackmagic on the Mac side. We have many times on the PC side and it works fine as does Matrox.

Eric

ADK