10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 7:25 AM by nealeh

Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?

Drogosan

All of my super 8 film are now digital on my harddrive as avi's. one roll of film is now 1 clip of 24 minuten. I want to split them into clips so I can edit. I learned how to do it when capturing film from my DV Camera, but do not know how to do it when importing from the harddrive, please advise

• 1. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I believe that ScenAlyzer Live (shareware) will split existing files by scene, even after Capture, or other digitizing process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome, and please let us know how well it works for you. I have ScenAlyzer Live on my workstation, but have never explored using it for existing material, so do not know how easily it will split footage, that has been Captured. Others have reported that it works well though.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
              Drogosan Level 1

Initially it looks complicated and ready to make clips from tape. Adobe

premiere elements 7 does that better. But that is an idea after 10 minutes

moving around in the dark, if you know what I mean. Is it true that adobe

does not do that (splitting into clips/scenes from an avi? With regards

Eduard

• 5. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are asking if Premiere Elements will split your video into scenes as you capture it from a miniDV or HDV tape-based camcorder, the answer is yes, it will

split video into scenes when you're capturing if you select this option on the capture screen.

• 6. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3

I think he's asking if he can split scenes when the source material is a file that's already on his hard drive (the converted 8mm tapes). Not sure, though.

I, too, have Scenealyzer, and also think it can split files already on the computer, but have never done so. I don't know if PrE can do this.

One minor thing to be aware of is that is two kinds of scene analyzing. In the case of Scenealyzer, each scene results in a separate file, i.e. every scene change causes a new file to be started. So you might start with a 24-min file and end up with (24) 1-minute files.

The other case is when PrE does the analyzing on some material - each scene results in a "clip" which is really just a starting and ending point of the original source file. In this case, you still only have a single 24-min file, but you have 24 "clips" inside PrE... clip 1 would say "start a position 0:00 of the 24-minute file and end at 1:00 of the 24-minute file"; clip 2 would say "start at 1:01 of the 24-minute file and end at 2:00 of the 24-minute file", etc.

The "clip" approach caused 2 issues for me

• I ran into performance issues because even though it looks like you've got 24 clips, really you're constantly working with one very large file (a 24-minute DV-AVI could be 5GB or more). So behind the scenes, it's constantly massaging a 5GB file, and
                  • The clips are only stored by project. So if you analyze the file in Project A, and then start a new project, you will have to re-analyze the file all over again. This is time-consuming, and it doesn't ever seem to do the analysis twice the same way so Clip #3 in Project A might not be the same as Clip #3 in Project B. There are ways around this, but still....

Sometimes PrE will create separate files (approach #1) and sometimes clips (approach #2). I'm not sure when it does which. I believe it will do clips for anything that doesn't have a timecode (e.g. analog material converted to digital like 8mm tapes, VHS tapes, etc.), and separate files for timecoded material. I'm not sure what it does for high-def material (e.g. HDV or AVCHD).

• 7. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
                    Drogosan Level 1

Dear Ed,

Thanks for your elaborate answer. It is completely clear to me. Pre does not

make clips from a large avi. Your 24 avi. I like clips because I can then

delete the boring ones and shorten the video and have a much interesting

video, so my family will say. To answer your question about "clip making" by

Pre. You can select clips by time codes that is it starts the clip when you

have started to film en it stops the clip when the camera stop filming. The

second method is by content. It recognizes a big change in scene en start

then the new clips. Works very well, but not always in the same manor. Now

for the following: I have digitized 20 reels of super 8 film into 20 large

avis's Can I get those back into the camera on tape with no quality loss and

then start capture them as clips. That would save a lot of time? Love

hearing from you, Eduard

• 8. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
                      Drogosan Level 1

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your answer, but I knew that. I have digital versions of my

super 8 film made und they are 1 large avi file (22 minutes) on my had disk.

Now I want to split them into clips and edit de video. Is there a way to do

that? Greetings Eduard

• 9. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's possible you can break the large clip into smaller clips with a program called Scenayzer (available at http://www.scenalyzer.com). But that depends on what codec (compression system) your vendor used when he created the AVI of your 8mm films. If he used a non-DV codec, it may not work. (One easy way to see which codec is being used is to open the AVI with Windows Media Player and, under the File menu, select Properties. The screen that opens will list your video and audio codecs.)

You can also break the larger video into smaller segments manually in Premiere Elements. But that can be a lot of work, so it depends how badly you want the file broken up.

• 10. Re: Can I split my film (as avi on harddisk) into clips when importing them in my project?
                          nealeh Level 5

Drogosan wrote:

I like clips because I can then delete the boring ones and shorten the video and have a much interesting video, so my family will say.

Eduard - you can do this with your single file, you do not need to have separate source video files for each section. Just use the cutter tool to select the start and end points you don't want in the final DVD and press [Delete]. By default the remaining video will ripple to the left to fill the gap. Repeat until your timeline shows only the video you want in the final output. You can then move on to apply effects and transitions.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children