Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Links fail in Rh8

Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question may once again prove my inexperience but your help is much appreciated.

I have been authoring simple Rh Webhelp projects for software apps using Rh7 hosted on a laptop (no network connectivity).

We now have Rh8 which has been installed on my desktop and I want to use it to maintain my original projects.

I have copied a project to "My RoboHelp Projects" folder which resides on our network.  I can open it in Rh8 and receive and accept the "Upgrade Project" popup. Everything looks good, when I generate the WebHelp all topics and embedded links work etc.  However when I try to create a new link (or bookmark) I receive another popup stating that the action will create an external link that may not function if I move the project. 

If I proceed these new links fail with an IE Cannot Display Page when I view the topic or generate the project and try the links.

What seems odd is when I take the same Rh7 project and copy it to my local harddrive and do the exact same steps (upgrade, create links), the new links work.

If I look at the properties of the links they do look different:

file://hades/Hades/Users/Dave%20Murphy/My%20Documents/My%20RoboHelp%

above is the properties for the link created when project stored on network drive and popup msg is confirmed

file://hades/Users/Dave%20Murphy/My%20Documents/My%20RoboHelp%

above is properties for link either that existed in original Rh7 project or created in Rh8 on local drive

Hades is our server name.  I am not sure why the bad link has "hades/Hades".

Another odd thing is that if I double click on the bad link within the topic in Rh the "Link To" field shows this:

file:/Hades/Users/Dave Murphy/My Documents/My RoboHelp Projects/AFEWCIS Local to Net/Administration/Edit_Application_Settings.htm

The same action on a working link looks like this:

../Overview.htm

Or something similar.

I don't see any glaring errors when I generate the project.  I am not sure if I should work this with my IT folks. I want to maintain the projects on the network for several reason.  I appreciate anyone's help or guidance.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing is - get your projects off the network drive and on to your local C:\ drive - you're just begging for a world of pain if you work on projects on a network drive (search the forum for advice on not doing this).

You can back up your projects on a network drive - that's fine & there's many a "check in & out" program out there to facilitate this (RoboSource, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the quick response Jeff. Advice I will certainly follow. I did see a number of posts warning against working on the network but didn't really see an explanation, not that I need one, just curious.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp