11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 8:13 AM by JimHess-OxQsWQ

Open Images

Graemey2cakes

Hello All,

First timer here.

I've used Adone DNG to try and convert some RAW files and followed the instructions but after conversion there are RAW files and DNG in the location folder.  I set the JPEG's to medium in the Preferences option.  Does this mean there should be also jpegs in the folder.  Can I ask what to do next.  I double clicked on one of the dng files and it looked like it was going to open in Photoshop but it said it couldn't recognise the format.

Thank you,

Best wishes

Graeme

• 1. Re: Open Images
          JimHess-DIrcbP Level 3

DNG files and other raw files contain a JPEG preview.  That preview is what you see on the LCD on your camera, and it is used by some software packages to display what is in the file.  It does not create a separate JPEG image.  DNG files still contain the raw image data, and therefore need to be opened in Camera Raw.  What version of Photoshop are you using?

• 2. Re: Open Images
            Graemey2cakes Level 1

Thank you for this,

I think the version is CS3 and I can see a plugin in About Plugins, Camera Raw ver 2 if that helps.

Best wishes

Graeme

• 3. Re: Open Images
              JimHess-DIrcbP Level 3

Camera Raw version 2 is "ancient" and is not compatible with your version of Photoshop at all.  You need to download and install Camera Raw version 4.6, which was the last version that was created for Photoshop CS3.  Then you should be able to open the DNG files that you created.  Here is the link where you can go to find the Windows version:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

If you have a Mac:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

There are installation instructions, be sure to follow them.

• 4. Re: Open Images
                Graemey2cakes Level 1

Thank you,

I followed the link you so kondly gave me, downloaded Camera_Raw_4_6.zip and copied it into

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats

Is that the correct thing to do and what do I do now?

Thank you so much again

Best wishes,

Graeme

//  Please have a look at www.standrews-chiltonmoor.org.uk  // 

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

Abraham Lincoln

• 5. Re: Open Images
                  Graemey2cakes Level 1

Me again Jim,  It now says the plugin is not coampatible with my version of Photoshop so I checked the version.  In help, About Photoshop is says Version 8!

Best wishes,

Graeme

//  Please have a look at www.standrews-chiltonmoor.org.uk  // 

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."

Abraham Lincoln

• 6. Re: Open Images
                    ablichter Level 2
                    In help, About Photoshop is says Version 8!

Means you have Photoshop CS. This version last Camera RAW version was V2.4.

The adviced ACR version 4.6 was for CS3 ;-)

For open DNGs with this PS version you have to create them compatible to its ACR version - open "Change Preferences" in DNG Converter and set "Compatibility" to Camera RAW 2.4 and later".

Check out this articel for further informaton, especially the caveats which come with when converting to an older version.

If you still got problems, make sure you have updated your ACR version to V2.4 - but since V4.6 is not working with CS, you need to download the right / lastest one now anyway ;-)

ps

about the plug-in path:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats

AFAIR this was the right path for CS, but not sure anymore. Nowadays ACR-updaters store the ACR plug-in in C:\Program Files\Common  Files\Adobe\CS5\Plug-Ins\File Formats.

Just make sure, you don't have multiple versions around, and check in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats"

• 7. Re: Open Images
                      Graemey2cakes Level 1

Yes, thank you, I think it's OK.  I made the alterations you suggested then converted a couple of RAW images to DNG, I double clicked on them and hey presto they opened up in Adobe Photoshop.  One more question please, when I make the alterations to the RAW files, if needed, what format shouild I save them in.

Best wishes

Graeme

• 8. Re: Open Images
                        ablichter Level 2
                        One more question please, when I make the alterations to the RAW files, if needed, what format shouild I save them in.

Not sure if I get you right.

When you are talking about the raster image you get in photoshop its up to you. I save in PSD (can be huge), lots other save in TIFF, and copies of them in JPEG for web or print services.

• 9. Re: Open Images
                          JimHess-OxQsWQ

Sorry, I have been gone for a couple of days.  I gave you the link to ACR 4.6 because you said you had Photoshop CS3.  You can go back to that same link and download ACR 2.4, which was the last update for Photoshop CS.

I don't know that there is any real advantage to saving PSD files as opposed to TIF files.  I prefer TIF, mainly because it is a more widely used and perhaps a more "standard" format than PSD.  But it really doesn't matter.  Both formats will save images without loss of quality, and that is what you are concerned about.  Then you can create smaller JPEG files from those edited PSD or TIF files for whatever purpose you need.

• 10. Re: Open Images
                            Graemey2cakes Level 1

Hello,

Fistly can I thank you all on this Foum for some amazing help and guidance.

Also, I understand about the advice on jpeg's and tiff's but can I ask about psd, is this Adobe format?

Best wishes

Graeme

• 11. Re: Open Images
                              JimHess-OxQsWQ Level 2

Yes, PSD refers to Photoshop Document.  In other words, that is sort of what PSD stands for.  It was developed by Adobe specifically for Photoshop.  There is nothing wrong with the format.  I just prefer using TIF because it seems to be a little more universal.  PSD files will retain all of the image quality, and if you prefer using it, that's okay.  Many people do use it.