13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 7:28 PM by shooternz

How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)

phill_r Level 1

Hello,

I've read a few posts saying I should setup my computer with 2-3 hard drives (OS, media, scratch). The hard drive setup guide on this forum said that a single hard drive 'would not work'.

Can anybody clarify this? I would be editing HDV. Would I literally not be able to use Premiere Pro, would it just be sluggish, or for HDV would this be perfectly fine?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
          markerline Level 4

I think it states somewhere in the system requirements for Premiere Pro that you should have a second DEDICATED hard drive if you're going to be editing High Def video.

Your Operating System should by all means also be 64-bit.

• 2. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
            Harm Millaard Level 7

It would be extremely sluggish and more trouble prone than with a couple of HDD's. For around $ 60 you can add a 1 TB disk, so what is stopping you?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
              phill_r Level 1

Trying to penny pinch but I guess I won't be able to get away with it.

I guess I'll go with a 3-hard drive setup (OS, media, scratch). If I get a 500 GB media drive, how big does the scratch drive need to be? Would just be for corporate video work, projects no longer than 10 minutes in length.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The size of the Scratch Disks will depend on several factors:

Number of Renders

Duration of your Timelines

Duration of your Audio Assets (CFA and PEK files)

Number of Projects

Seems that I had another 1 - 2, but a phone call made me go blank...

For the $'s, I would definitely go with a 3x I/O system. Also, if you think that 500GB is adequate, pick up a couple of 1TB's instead - you WILL fill 'em.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                  medeamajic Level 2

You can easily edit 8-9 layer of native HDV in realtime using the system drive. HDV is only about 3.6 MB per second. The video in the link below was all realtime of the system drive (one drive).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0JoFxoOyo

Having an OS drive and a dedicated media drive would be better and very much needed if you were editing the Panasonic P2 codec. That is around 14 MB per second. For HDV one 500 GB drive is OK to start with although two drives is better. You can start with one drive and add another later. I hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                    phill_r Level 1

Thanks medeamajic for that very insightful video.

If I had a single hard drive, would I still get 8-9 layers of native HDV in realtime with CS5 Production Premium? Or does the system requirements of CS5 prevent me from doing so?

• 7. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If you look at the PPBM5 Benchmark results you will see that there are a few single disk 7200 RPM sytems that are consistently much slower than multi-disk configurations. Even with a CUDA card, a single disk system is almost 10 times slower than a multi-disk system and without CUDA around 25 times slower (without taking other components into consideration) in overall score.

While Mediamajic is correct about a 3.6 Mbps stream per track for HDV, he is forgetting all the other disk activities that take place, that explain why all good performing systems use large raid arrays. Just look at the results page for the Disk I/O test and you will not find any system in the top 35 that does not have a raid array and the first single SATA disk system comes in at rank 115.

• 8. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Think of editing on a computer as a simple, 1 ltr. jar of water. If you pour the water out of the large mouth of that jar, it flows quickly (theoretical data transfer speed of HDD), but now we put on a lid, with a small hose attached (real-world data transfer speed). Things still flow pretty quickly, but when we feed water from elsewhere into the connection with that small hose, things slow down more. With our example, let's also add more hoses feeding more water into that jar. We now cannot empty it with any speed at all. If we remove those other hoses (by spreading the I/O load over more HDD's, we are back to a pretty quick emptying of that jar.

As Harm points out, it is the "other tasks," that slow the whole system down. Also, there is a difference in just being able to edit, and then to edit quickly and smoothly. If your single HDD has to perform other tasks at the same time, something has to slow down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                          phill_r Level 1

Hmm......... I was able to find a great workstation from our supplier. Low price, great specs, but it only has one hard-drive bay. And I'd really like to somehow make it work.

The computer has an empty PCI slot. What about using one external FW800/ESATA drive for my media? So internal would be OS + Scratch, external would be media.

Sadly the benchmark scores still look bad for using external drives :S (ESATA at least).

In my day to day usage, I would definitely have other programs open (e.g. Microsoft Office suite, Outlook, etc...). I would not do extremely intensive tasks simultaneously (e.g. editing in Premiere while rendering in After Effects). The only question I have about the spreadsheet is that the numbers don't equate to a specific usage. So for HDV, I can't figure out if a Disk in/out score of 200 would be ok for me...

• 10. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            Hmm......... I was able to find a great workstation from our supplier. Low price, great specs, but it only has one hard-drive bay.

That does not look like great specs, unless you meant 11 instead of 1.

You need that single bay for a DVD drive to install your OS, but have no room to install it to a destination drive.

• 11. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

In my day to day usage, I would definitely have other programs open (e.g. Microsoft Office suite, Outlook, etc...)

That is not recommended.  Use a dedicated rig for your editing, and a second computer for everything else.

• 12. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                                medeamajic Level 2

phill_r

Any Core i7 CPU along with the sytem drive can edit native HDV just fine . You will even be able to do multiple layers in realtime. Using two drive would be better but you don't need it. Check out the video to the link below. The video shows a good hard drive solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3faYro5MjQ

• 13. Re: How bad is it to use only one hard drive? :)
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  Hmm......... I was able to find a great workstation from our supplier. Low price, great specs, but it only has one hard-drive bay. And I'd really like to somehow make it work.

Try it and let us know how it works.