6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 8:59 AM by Seattle User

Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems

Seattle User Level 2

I have a project in which I am placing a few static JPGs over the video portion for a few seconds at a time here and there to illustrate certain things a speaker is touching on. The JPGs are usually not quite big enough to cover the entire frame of the media pane, so I end up having to resize them and make them bigger to either cover the rest of the video that’s still showing, or to effectively ‘crop out’ a portion of the JPG that I don’t want to see in the final output.

Everything looks fine in the media pane. The problem arises when I output the final video to FLV. Some of the JPGs look fine – just as they did in the media pane preview. But a lot of them end up showing portions that I had cropped out, or even portions of the video that I know were covered up. It appears completely random. And when I re-export and try again, sometimes the problem disappears.

Windows XP SP3

Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0

Export format: FLV

• 1. Re: Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the problem JPEG's? What is the Frame Size of the Project Preset?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems
            Seattle User Level 2

One JPG sample is 960x720 pixels.

The Project Preset Frame Size is 1280x720 pixels.

For this particular sample, I stretch the JPG so that the text at the bottom of it falls below the media pane (since both the JPG and the project have the same pixel height). It becomes a little more pixelated, but that's fine. Sometimes it does get cropped out of the final FLV, sometimes it doesn't...

• 3. Re: Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m,

That's really pretty close. Even with a bit more Scaling, to effectively "crop" off the text, you should be OK.

Now, do you have Photoshop, or PSElements? If so, try doing the Scaling there, and then Save_As a PSD. Import that into PrE and see if the quality holds up better. Personally, I keep all Scaling in PrE, or PrPro, out of my workflow. All Scaling is done in PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also, after you have placed your still image onto the Timeline, press Enter to Render for best playback. You can limit the area of the Timeline that Renders by using the WAB (Work Area Bar).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems
                Seattle User Level 2

Bill, your suggestion of resizing the JPG in PSD to match the project settings seems to be a good work-around. I'm able to get the output as I want it now (albeit with a lot more work than simply resizing in the PE9 media pane!). It still doesn't answer why PE9 is not exporting WYSIWYG from the media pane, however. Adobe should not allow resizing there if the output won't match.

• 5. Re: Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Historically, all that I have ever noticed was a slight image degrading, when doing normal Scaling in PrE (or PrPro). Many users can live easily with what I observe, and have stated so. The Scaling algorithms are OK in the NLE programs, but quite a bit better in PS. Since I come from an advertising still background, quality is my first goal, and I am more critical, than most viewers will be.

What you are describing is pretty major, and I am not sure what the cause would be. Still, if you have a workaround, you should be good to go. In that linked article, I listed an automated way to Scale in PS and then Neale added the useful tips on Scaling w/ automation in PSE.

On my workstation, I can automatically Scale a folder of 300+ camera-rez images to my Project's Frame Size in less time, than it takes to get a cup of coffee.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Static image looks fine in media pane but renders with problems
                    Seattle User Level 2

Bill, I did not see the linked article that you mentioned but would be curious to read it? I appreciate the suggestion to scale in Photoshop. I can be confident that the JPG will appear as desired when I place it on the timeline! I'm familiar with actions, batch scripts, and the image processor in Photoshop which I frequently use to manipulate large quantities of images; however, in this case it wouldn't work as well only because each image will require different portions to be cropped. I suppose I could crop them first, then either click an action to scale the result to a fixed dimension or even do the latter in the batch/image processor.