5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 9:45 AM by Todd_Kopriva

FPS change, key position

artefactooo Level 1

Hi,

When changing the frame rate from 29.976 to 24 for exemple, all the keys change of their original position.

The problem is, they move something in between frame, how come? and how to fix that?

Thanks

Andre

• 1. Re: FPS change, key position
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The keyframes are still at the exact same times at which you placed them. By changing the frame rate of a composition, you change where the frame divisions are placed, so the keyframes may not still be at the frame boundaries.

Why are you changing the frame rate of a composition, anyway? If you're doing your design work in a composition at one frame rate and just want to output to a different frame rate, then you can either set a frame rate in the render settings or nest the master composition in a new composition with your output frame rate.

See this page for more information about frame rates.

See this page for information about planning ahead and setting up things like frame rate at the beginning of your work.

• 2. Re: FPS change, key position
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            and how to fix that?

There's nothing to fix because nothing is broken. AE operates based on exact time, not discrete frames hence the frames retain their time, not the frame number. The behavior is correct.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: FPS change, key position
              artefactooo Level 1

First, thanks guy for your fast respond

Why are you changing the frame rate of a composition, anyway?

Well Todd, is't a client issue, (you know....not my decision)

I understand the reposition of the keys on a proportional way when the time line is alternate. It does'nt change anything when you do a render I know.

The point is, I'm exporting the animation as an XML file to fit it in a game play, and in between frame make values on a float way ex: frame 34.78457842.

You can figure the problem next.

If there's any script or option to snap the key to the closer frame or doing an expression to Math.round or something?

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand

Thanks

André

• 4. Re: FPS change, key position
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, a simple expression like Math.round(time/thisComp.frameDuration) will do, once you choose to convert it to keyframes.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: FPS change, key position
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>Why are you changing the frame rate of a composition, anyway?

Well Todd, is't a client issue, (you know....not my decision)

If the client is asking for output at a certain frame rate, you can still continue doing your work in a master composition at a different frame rate.