5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 8:55 PM by richardrock

Looking for feedback on my 1st PC build for CS5

Coltsman33

I'm new to all of this, but I've been researching and reading these helpful forums in preparation for my first PC build strictly for CS5 (mainly PP).  FYI, I'm a complete novice, not a professional... that was repetitiously redundant.  I use an XL1s to record sporting events of my kids and have been asked to start videoing all sporting events at our public schools. I need a dedicated editing system; I anticipate expanding in the future.

TO MY POINT: can you please give me some feedback on the following system specs?  I'd like to stay as close to $2k (not including monitors which I already have).  Thank you in advance for helping me get the most bang for my buck.

• MoBo:               Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 

(is there a better one out there for around the same or a little more money that you'd recommend?)
    •  

Processor:         Intel Core i7 950; 3.06GHz; 4,8GT/s LGA1366; 8MB Cache

(from what I've read, the i7 980X provides about 40% increase in performance... but with 3x the price.  Also, I'm not editing HD yet)

• RAM:                 DDR3 12GB (for now) 1600MHz TRI P; 3x4GB Modules, PATRIOT; Viper II Sector 7 Series
    • GPU:                 EVGA GTX470

(need some help here: is it worth the 480? Performance vs cost difference?  Any better options?  Someone suggested buying 2 460 cards... would be cheaper than one 470.)

• Tower:               CM HAF 932 ATX Full Tower - $139.99 @ Fry's

(I saw a Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower ATX Case which was much bigger - $269.99.  Would this give me that much more expandability in future?)

•  

• Power:               Thermaltake TR2 850W

• DVD-RW            LITE-ON 24X SATA DVD-RW; GEN II

Hard Drive(s):     HELP???       Solid State Drive for OS & Programs???  RAID 0, 5, ?

Thanks again for your input

• 1. Re: Looking for feedback on my 1st PC build for CS5
          richardrock

Watch out for that RAM selection if you don’t know it will work. I didn’t see it on the QVL (memory support list) for rev.1. Someone on this forum should have experience with this mobo.

For me, the CM case is plenty big enough, in fact it is very large.

The EVGA 470 sounds good to me.

I am under the impression not much is gained here with a second GPU http://forums.adobe.com/message/3099305#3099305 and http://forums.adobe.com/message/3030168#3030168 and there are others.

I wouldn’t spend the money for the SSD, but some people just want them. If you really want one, hey, get what makes you happy if you can afford it. Mr. Harm Millaard gives a comparative example of cost per GB somewhere on this forum and the numbers can be more than what they seem at first (in favor of regular drives).

I went higher on the PSU (1000w CM Silent Pro) and I feel pretty good about it. It is very quiet; not stressed. Also, if you want to ad parts later you may need the headroom, and PSUs age so headroom is needed there. Find a PSU calculator and set “CPU load to 100%, capacitor aging to 30% and add 10 - 15% to the calculated total wattage to be sure…”. (Millaard) - I hope you don't mind me quoting you Harm-

• 2. Re: Looking for feedback on my 1st PC build for CS5
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX

285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 470

If you are not going to edit a LARGE uncompressed file, you don't really need RAID... I edit AVCHD with just regular drives... as follows

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
            1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
            2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
            3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 3. Re: Looking for feedback on my 1st PC build for CS5
              Coltsman33 Level 1

Thanks for the helpful info, Richard.

I am worried about the RAM now b/c it's the only thing I've already purchased (at Fry's) and I'm past the 15 day return.  The salesman DID say it was compatible w/ the MoBo that I had picked out.  But I'm unaware of the (QVL Memory Support List).  I'll check that out.

Per SSD, I've been back and forth on this based upon the opinions of supposed "Geek-Squad-ers".  The people in this forum are MUCH more learned about the subject and I have come to the conclusion that my main advantage with an SSD would be a really quick boot time?!?!?!?!  If that's the case, I'm not interested.  I can always use the few extra seconds for a sip of Jo.

I may very well up the PSU from 850W to 1000W.

• 4. Re: Looking for feedback on my 1st PC build for CS5
                Coltsman33 Level 1

That is very helpful, John

I kind of got stumped (not hard to do) when I started listening to the knuckel headed kids at Fry's Electronics, telling me (with all their genious) how I MUST get an SSD for OS and programs in order to validate my system.

Thankfully I have you folks who actually know what you're talking about.  I'm getting a great education from this forum

Jay

• 5. Re: Looking for feedback on my 1st PC build for CS5
                  richardrock Level 1

Yes, if you are building for CS5 and Premiere you are definitely in the right place. Keep reading; pay special attention to the people on the Top Participants list on the right side of the front page of this forum. Look at their stuff.

With a list of items to buy – I'd get on the new egg email list and wait – can save a lot that way.