8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 6:15 PM by John T Smith

Card to drive dual monitors

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wife has decided she wants to have dual monitors, and from what I've read, her current ATI 4350 has difficulties with that

A quick search shows that the ATI 4650 has two DVI output connectors, so SHOULD do what she wants with no problems

Any comments?

• 1. Re: Card to drive dual monitors
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

ge her a 5XXX series so she can play Call of Duty Black Opps

the 4650 sounds fine but I run a 4890.....

• 2. Re: Card to drive dual monitors

No games at all, not even the default Windoze games... she wants to be able to have Word and Excel documents open at the same time and to be able to SEE both of them at the same time, not have to Alt-Tab to switch back and forth between them

The ATI 4650 has two DVI connections, so I think it will do "just fine" for her... if she could wait I'd order from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150396 but since she wants this "right now" looks like we go to BestBuy tomorrow for new card and a second 22 inch monitor

• 3. Re: Card to drive dual monitors
              the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

I push 2 21" CRT monitors at 1280 x 1024 with a Quadro FX-4500. It is overkill for PrPro, and will never be CUDA capable, but for the dual monitors and some light 3D is great. Now, there are many better, faster, and much cheaper cards out there. Still, the Quadro has served me very well for years.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Card to drive dual monitors
                Jim_Simon Level 9
                her current ATI 4350 has difficulties with that

The card has multiple outputs.  Try it before you spend any money.

• 5. Re: Card to drive dual monitors

4350 has 1-DVI and 1-Analog and my searching led to many problem discussions and few solutions

She is already determined to have this tomorrow (BestBuy, here we come!) so I'm going to just go ahead and get a 4650 w/2 DVI that I know will work

• 6. Re: Card to drive dual monitors
                    nharman

That would work fine, a bit overkill on the power, but the cheapest option on newegg that isn't 4-5 generations old. You shouldn't have any issues with running 1 VGA and 1 DVI though, I would try it before you make the purchase (you must have a 2nd monitor around somewhere that you could use to test, so you don't have to make a 2nd trip if it doesn't work)

Bestbuy's are terrible for this type of stuff though, if you have a Fry's Electronics or Microcenter near you I would start there.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Card to drive dual monitors
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JSS1138 wrote:

>her current ATI 4350 has difficulties with that

The card has multiple outputs.  Try it before you spend any money.

Well, you win the prize... the ATI 4350 does work... albeit with a LOT of trying different options to get it all to work properly

When I got home last night wife want to try RIGHT NOW and I was too tired to go back out... so I turned my computer off and "temporarily" moved my 24 inch monitor over next to her 24 inch

I know now why I found so many questions/complaints about setting up a dual monitor system

Hardware is easy...  simply connect the 2nd monitor to the 2nd output... program/logic is NOT intuitive at all, so it took me about half an hour of clicking around to get things set up and working properly

Right now, I have borrowed "her" 2nd monitor back to check email and messages this morning, and as soon as I finish here my computer goes dark again so I can put "her" 2nd monitor back in place

Of course the good thing is... later today I go to Costco (only local store I could find with one in stock) to buy a 27 inch monitor for my side of the office

• 8. Re: Card to drive dual monitors

Home again (had several places to shop) with Samsung P2770 monitor... had to move it further away from my chair it is so big!

Wife is happy with her dual 24's and I'm happy with my new 27

Now I just have to find the brightness control, since out of the box is just a bit too bright

Added

While everything is larger on 27 inches -vs- 24, I do note that the 24wide she has and the 27wide I now have, have exactly the same pixels of 1920x1080