11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2010 8:13 AM by Steve Grisetti

What would cause a color shift?

imsam67 Level 1

Hi,

I've noticed that sometimes in my videos in a frame or two the color shifts completely. Please see attached images. As you can see in the second image, the color has shifted and the image has a greenish tint to it.

I do not see this shift in the original footage.

I have applied Auto Colors, Auto Levels and Brightness & Contrast to the entire footage. Do you think that has something to do with it? If so, how do I correct that one frame?

Normal color

Capture1.PNG

Color shifted frame:

Capture2.PNG

• 1. Re: What would cause a color shift?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

Particuarly in version 9, if your project settings match your camcorder's specs, you should see no change at all in the video you when you add it to your project.

• 2. Re: What would cause a color shift?
            imsam67 Level 1

The footage is from a Canon Vixia HF 200 which writes the data on SD card. My monitor has SD card reader built into it. So I transfer videos through the reader.

I shot the footage in 1080 HD. And my project settings are: AVCHD 1080 30 fps.

As I mentioned this shift is in one frame only. It then goes back to normal.

• 3. Re: What would cause a color shift?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In both PrE and PrPro, I find that I often see "pulsing" with the Auto Effects. This could be color, or density. For that reason, I stay away for any Auto Effect. Unfortunately, PrE does not also offer the full compliment of manual Effects.

Your examples show a pretty extreme shift. Usually, what I encounter is more akin to seeing "something" change in playback, but side-by-side frame comparisons are less obvious, unlike your example.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: What would cause a color shift?

Also, is there a red or green line above your clips on your timeline before you add effects to them?

In Premiere Elements 9, you should not see any lines above your clips until you add effects to them if you are using the correct project settings.

Also, if you are using the correct project settings and you have properly transferred the video from your camcorder to your computer, there wil, as I said, be no change in the video data, so Premiere Elements can not be adding a color shift.

Is there a reason you didn't connect your camcorder to your computer with a USB cable and use Premiere Elements Get Media Video Importer to transfer your video from the camcorder into your project?

• 5. Re: What would cause a color shift?
                  imsam67 Level 1

Steve,

Something you said got me thinking. I wonder if my workflow is causing an issue here. Here's what I do:

1. Once I have the media in my project, I'll apply the necessary effects to make sure the video looks the way I want it to look. Typically, these effects are Auto Color, Auto Levels and Brightness & Contrast

2. Once I do this, I end up with a red line above the timeline. Up until this point, I do not have any lines -- which tells me that my project type is correct. So, I go ahead and render the project.

3. Once the project is rendered, I add my titles.

This workflow makes sense to me but let me know what you think.

Steve,

As for your question: I transfer video files through the reader because of its convenience. I presume you're suggesting that transferring files using the USB cable is a better method. However, the raw footage imported into PrE9 has none of the issues I'm talking about. They appear once I edit the footage and apply these corrective effects. So I tend to agree with Bill about them being introduced by Auto Color and/or Auto Levels.

• 6. Re: What would cause a color shift?
                    imsam67 Level 1

Here's a related question then: if I'm not going to use Auto Color and Auto Levels, how do I make those corrections? Brightness & Contrast gets me so far but doesn't do much about color correction.

• 7. Re: What would cause a color shift?

Obviously, once you apply Auto Color, etc., effects, you've changed the clips, so you're going to see a different set of colors than the original. Is that your intention?

Remember that any Auto effect is just making a best guess, based on the whitest white point and the blackest black point in your frame. This can often change over the course of a clip, and you can see shifting in color every couple of seconds. Is that what you're seeing?

Is there a reason you're trying to color correct your video? Is the white balance off in the original footage?

• 8. Re: What would cause a color shift?
                        imsam67 Level 1

Steve,

My main intention is to make the video look brighter and more vivid. The issue is not with color changing throughout the video -- clearly that's the goal. The problem is some dramatic shift in color in a frame or two.

The question is if I don't want to "Auto" correct anything, how do I do it? For example, how do I handle levels without using Auto Levels? I'm not seeing any Levels effect anywhere. Is it left out of PrE9 so that people would get Pr Pro?

• 9. Re: What would cause a color shift?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          if I'm not going to use Auto Color and Auto Levels, how do I make those corrections?

Unfortunately, unless PrE 9 has changed things, the "Auto" Effects might be all that you get. In PrPro, one often gives a "manual" version of most "Auto Effects."

As Steve says, the Auto Effects are a "best guess," and if any aspect of the Frame changes, so might the Effect. That is where I often see the "pulsing," though, as mentioned, not quite so pronounced, as your example. That is pretty strong. Also, looking at your Frames, there does not seem to be much change in the other parameters of the shot, so it kind of surprises me, that it is that big a difference. Like I said above, it's usually something that one notices, but cannot put their finger on - I can put my whole HAND on that one.

Since I shy away from Auto-anything, I am not a good source of ideas here - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: What would cause a color shift?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Is it left out of PrE9 so that people would get Pr Pro?

Well, I would put it another way. PrPro is about 6x the price of PrE, and is intended for a different demographic. I would say that it's a case of offering more for the $ spent. In PrPro, I do not use any Auto Effects, but use their manual counterparts, but that is a lot more work. To me, it pays off. To most of the users of PrE, I doubt that they'd ever even go there. Most want a simple, easily applied Effect, that does a pretty good job. In the PrPro community, many are editing material for commercial broadcast uses, so even a different audience.

Now, PrE 9 is new. I have not read all that much on it, yet. I do not know what might have been added there, but Steve, Neale, ATR and others, will be able to tell you if there are manual alternatives for the Effects that you are using. In PrPro, for Color Correction, there are about 12 different Effects, that start off easy, and then work up rather quickly. By the time that one gets to 3-Way Color Corrector, the editor had better know how to use the scopes in PrPro, or they will be lost completely.

Wish that I could be more helpful with your issue, and it does appear to be an issue. Usually, when the Auto Effects cause issues, the lighting, etc. has changed enough to fool the algorithms that control the Effect. That does not seem to be the case in your examples. That is what puzzles me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: What would cause a color shift?

The Auto Color effect is causing the white to shift to blue, Sam. In fact, any image effect you use is to make the colors more vivid is going to shift the colors.

From what I'm seeing on my monitor, there's no reason to make your colors more vivid. Have you looked at your original footage on a TV (by plugging your camcorder into it)? With that camcorder, it's unlikely you'll need to make your colors richer. In fact,  you're more likely to cause a color shift or, worse, overly-enrich your colors so that they look overly-saturated on TV.