8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 3:55 PM by nealeh

Distorted video

Chad_2011 Level 1

I am running Premiere 9 and I have created several clips of a movie I'm working on.  Now that I have all that finished, I'm trying to save each of the clips as a file so that I can compile them all into one project and burn the DVD. 

However, every time I save one of the clips the video is wildly distorted when I play the saved file.  The audio isn't synced with the video.  Any photos or text I added is shifted to different areas of the screen, etc.  What do I need to do to fix this?  My movie is just the way I want it, all I need to do is get it onto a DVD.

Also, I saw in one of the other threads that I should be creating AVI files to compile them into one project.  But that doesn't seem to be an option in Premiere 9.  The only options it's giving me are Flash files, MPEG2, and MOV.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Distorted video
          nealeh Level 5

I'm guessing you are running on a Mac - in which case see here: Re: copying edited clips to a new project and also look at reply 6 in that thread as well.

Here's a pic. from the Windows version (you get to the export settings by clicking the Advanced Button):

1.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Distorted video
            Chad_2011 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Neale!

What I see in your picture is what I chose last time I tried to export these clips and they still came out extremely distorted.  I've also tried exporting them as Quicktime/MOV files and I get a similar result.

Is there something I'm doing that's causing the movie that's exported to be nothing like what I created?

• 3. Re: Distorted video
              Chad_2011 Level 1

Oh... and great guess... yes I am running this on a Mac.

• 4. Re: Distorted video
                nealeh Level 5

Where did your source files come from?

What resolution are they?

What Project Presets did you select?

How did you add the clips into your projects?

What options are you selecting in the QuickTime Share?

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Distorted video
                  Chad_2011 Level 1

Oh man, I hope I know what I'm doing well enough to answer your questions.

Where did your source files come from?

My source files were videos that I originally created in iMovie so they are .mov files.

What resolution are they?

When I exported them from iMovie I selected the 1080 x 720 - but they were originally shot on a Flip Video camera which I think shoots at 720.

What Project Presets did you select?

I didn't change anything to the presets - I just opened a new project and started putting it together.

How did you add the clips into your projects?

I used the "Get Media" button to import them into Premiere and the I just dragged them down into the timeline.

What options are you selecting in the QuickTime Share?

NTSC DV 16:9 and then whatever else is preset.

Did I answer all those the right way?

• 6. Re: Distorted video
                    nealeh Level 5

Hmmm. The preset you will have selected will be the default, that is for 720x480 (I'm assuming you are in NTSC land). So your 1080x720 will be downsampled to fit.

PRE doesn't have a 1080x720 preset. Do you still have the original flip footage? If so you could start a PRE project using the appropriate Flip preset.

If that's not possible do you still have your imovie project from which you could export a PRE friendly format?

If that's not possible you could open a new project with the HDV 720p 30 preset and see what your footage looks like in that.

To see the available presets, when you start a new project click the Change Settings button.

1.png

and then select from the available presets:

1.png

If you pick the wrong one PRE should prompt you when you load the first clip and advises the correct setting.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Distorted video
                      Chad_2011 Level 1

It sounds like you're telling me I have to start over. 

Is there a PRE friendly format in iMovie?  The options it gives when you export a movie all seem like really odd sizes.

• 8. Re: Distorted video
                        nealeh Level 5

I don't have a Mac so I can't test options. But this google search for imovie export throws up many interesting articles. This link Export HD Video from iMovie 09 shows how to create 1280x720p and 1920x1080 output that should match PRE's 720p and 1080 options.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale