24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 5:41 PM by kellyj994

Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD

pfpressel Level 1

I finished my movie and am now trying to burn to DVD.  The first time I tried it hung up on encoding at 79 % and froze.  So I started over-  this time it worked but it doesn't have the soundtrack from the project.  The video has the audio track intact except for where a soundtrack comes in, then the video is silent.

Pam

• 1. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pam,

In the Timeline View Mode, is your Soundtrack in the Soundtrack Audio Track, or on another Audio Track? If it is, can you drag the Clip(s) to another blank Audio Track and try again?

When you go to Window>Audio Mixer, does any Audio Track show Mute?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
            pfpressel Level 1

It looks to me like it is in the correct track. .  Also, none of the audio mixer buttons are muted.screen shot timeline_edited-2.jpg

• 3. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The lines are indicating the Volume of the Clips on the Track. The diamonds are Track Keyframes, applied to the Track (will affect any Clip that you place on it), and are added by the Audio Mixer. These are added manually. Did you intend to add Track Keyframes to the Audio Tracks?

Now, it appears that there is not a Waveform in the Clip in your Soundtrack, or that it is very low in amplitude. Do you actually hear the Clip in the Soundtrack Track?

What is the format of that Audio Clip?

Also, at the point of the CTI (Current Time Indicator, which I could not see), the Audio Track 1 Level is down to -oo dB. Is that what you want?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                pfpressel Level 1

Do you want me to respond to this email or to reply in the forum?  I didn't

intentionally add any track keyframes. The audio for the clip is decreased

while the sound track plays, then the clip audio is increased while the

soundtrack decreases.

Pam

• 5. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Definitely respond in the forum. Also, when you reply via e-mail, your personal signature, with personal info, is added. Take a look from your browser. Maybe Steve G., our MOD, can get that deleted.

If you did not intend to add Track Keyframes (differ from Clip Keyframes, and Steve covers the two in his books), then they were added by accident, and are possibly part of the issue, that you are having.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Pamela, I also notified Adobe, so someone should be able to edit that personal info out. If you get an e-mail from Adobe-Admin, etc., it's only to remove that info. There are spam 'bots, that prowl these fora, and they just love picking up e-dresses, etc.. Also, these are public fora, so we have no idea who might be reading them. Don't want to sound scary, but one should not let too much get posted, beyond the problems, etc.

• 7. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Pam, those audio keyframes were added because you adjusted the levels in the Audio Mixer as the video was playing.

But those probably aren't your issue. The bigger issue, as Bill implied, is what type of file your music clip is and where it came from. For some reason the file's audio wasn't conformed when you brought it into the program (which is why it has no waveform on it).

• 8. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For some background on Conforming (the creation of the CFA files and the PEK - Waveform Display files), this ARTICLE might help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                        pfpressel Level 1

The sound track clip is .wma, off of my music,  the narration/video clip is shown as .wav

How do I convert the sound track clip?

• 10. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

While the WMA should work, I would convert that to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit (the free Audacity can do this for you). Then, Import again and replace that Soundtrack. If that does not fix things, I would move that from the Soundtrack Audio Track to any empty regular Audio Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                            pfpressel Level 1

Thanks for the adivce.  I have downloaded Audacity but can't figure out how to get the files into

the program.  Any tutorials on how to use Audacity?  I drag the file to the program and then can't open it at all

Any help is appreciated.  Also, showed the movie to family via my laptop and they loved it.  Now I have to make dvd for 20 people!

Pam

• 12. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are lots of tutorials for Audacity on YouTube!

• 13. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                nealeh Level 5

Install and run Audacity (it looks complicated but for this task it's  a cinch). Drag your audio file to the Audacity window, then go to File>  Export. The default option is ideal for PRE. I suggest you save the file  in your project folder. You then bring it into PRE as you would any  other file.

1.png

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                  pfpressel Level 1

I tried to drag it but it says it can't open it because it is "Windows Medial audio file and Audacity cannot open this type of fiel due to patieint restrictions.  You need to convert it to a supported audio format."  What is that about?  I also downloaded Cdex which said it could change the file but can't figure out how to do that either. Cdex let me import and convert the files but then can't move them anywhere.

Thanks

Pam

• 15. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                    nealeh Level 5

How weird. The codec must be installed as Windows Media Center. Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, and  VLC Media Player can play wma, but none of my other audio apps will. Here's a search for audio converters you could try. You might like to try this one as there is a mini-tutorial for it.

[PS] I have just noticed that 'Switch' may no longer be freeware.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

Added [PS]

• 16. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                      pfpressel Level 1

Ok, latest problem-  I downloaded Switch and converted my audio tracks to WAV

from WMA.  Switched them in the movie and played it beautifully. I then burned to DVD

with results of again no soundtrack on final .

I tried to switch the soundtrack to another track and ended up with no audio at all and all of the video went cockeyed!  The clips ended up in different tracks and no sound at all.

Any ideas where to go next?

Pam

• 17. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                        nealeh Level 5
                                        • Delete the existing wma soundtrack
                                        • Right-click Video_1 and unlink video and audio.
                                        • Drag existing Audio_1 to, say, Audio 3.
                                        • Drag your new audio file to Audio_1 and check the bottom right of the screen. There should be a message about conforming. Wait for it to finish (you will know because the message will disappear and Audio_1 will show the waveform image across it's whole length.
                                        • For each audio track, in the Audio Mixer, set the volume level to 0.00 (as Bill pointed out earlier your screenshot showed Audio_1 was virtually muted at wherever the CTI had been set).
                                        • If this does not work drag Audio_1 to Audio_2 and try again.

You may be wondering why you're not putting the soundtrack on the Soundtrack timeline. The answer is that there is nothing special about that and the narration tracks other than the fact they are always there and always underneath Video_1. Other than that they are both just Audio tracks.

Incidentally are you burning to a physical disc? If so I suggest you burn to folder and use DVD playback to view the output (it saves on coasters!).

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 18. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                          pfpressel Level 1

Thanks for the instructions. I am confused about the tracks.  Here is a screensh

ot of my files. Notice that there are 2 title clips on different tracks, above video one  When I tried to move the sound file up to another track, it moved all of the video tracks to the right. Still waiting for the book to be delivered!  So I appreciate your help.  I want to be able to burn DVD's for my grandson's movie cause he has promised 20 so far!

• 19. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                            pfpressel Level 1

screen-shot-nov-10.gifSorry  here is the screen shot  My confusion is why title clips are above?

I tried to delete and it just moved everything over.

• 20. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                              nealeh Level 5
                                              • It is fine that the tiles are on a separate video track as they are independent objects and can be placed on any video track. When placed above a video clip they will appear over the video as it plays. If you place them on the main video track (like your opening credits) they just play the title.
                                              • Your clips are moving over because it is the default behaviour to close up gaps after delete (this is called ripple). To delete objects without closing the gap use [Shift]+[Delete].
                                              • From your screen shot you have the video clip selected - and that is what will be deleted. You must click the Titles themselves to delete them.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 21. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                                nealeh Level 5

pfpressel wrote:

When I tried to move the sound file up to another track, it moved all of the video tracks to the right

That's because you haven't moved or deleted the existing sound from the track that your are trying to move it to. Remember to unlink the Audio & Video before moving the sound or the video will go with it.

But it's not too important at this stage - we're trying to find out if your soundtrack will play on the DVD if it is in a different track.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 22. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                                  pfpressel Level 1

Success!!!  I moved the soundtrack up one to the narration and voila!!! IT WORKS!

My DVD is great, has all the sound effects, gunshots and the music track.  My grandson is thrilled with his movie and he even got a mention in the local paper becuase of his "Premiere!"

thanks for all your help.  I finally got the book the day I made the DVD>

Pam

• 23. Re: Soundtrack is not recorded in final DVD
                                                    nealeh Level 5

Good news. Glad it worked out for you and thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale