10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2011 7:01 AM by andrewrcooley

Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP

tnashcbad Level 1

Using a remote desktop connection, pdf files created in Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit (remote machine) using Acrobat 9.4 as the printer are copied using right-click>copy and pasted to the desktop of an XP Pro SP3 machine (local machine) running Acrobat 9.4. When the file is opened in XP system an error is returned = There was an error opening this document, The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

pdf files created on the XP machine using Acrobat 9.4 and copied to the Win 7 machine are fine = no problem.

If the pdf files created on the Win 7 machine are emailed and then downloaded from Internet email to XP machine they are fine.

If the pdf files created on the Win 7 machine are zipped and the right-click>copy is used to paste to the XP machine they are fine.

Tried using Reader 8 on XP machine but still have the error.

Any suggestions on how to get this working without using a workaround?

Other files (excel, word, etc.) copy and paste without any problems. Only pdf created with Acrobat are an issue. Other pdfs downloaded from other sites are fine.

pdf files created with out pdf software (e.g. from Intuit applications) don't have a problem.

Only files created with with Adobe Acrobat have a problem.

Please help.

• 1. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
          pwillener Level 8

Obviously "something" happens to the PDF file when using that copying method - the file gets corrupted.

Try comparing the two files (the original and the copied one) with a binary compare tool, to see the actual damage.  Also, are they still exactly the same size (in bytes)?

Can you try a different copying method, e.g. drag and drop?

P.S. I don't think it matters how the file was created; for the copy tool it is just a file, regardless of the format.  Copy should copy faithfully, byte-by-byte, regardless of its contents.

• 2. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
            tnashcbad Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Can you recommend a binary compare tool? I am not familiar with any.

I checked the file sizes. On the Win 7 system that created the file the size is 307652 bytes with size on disk of 311296.

When I copy the file to the remote XP system the file size is 311296 with the size on disk being 311296.

So, something is getting messed up.

When I copy a jpg file from the Win 7 system to the XP, the file sizes parameters do not change.

When I copy a Internet downloaded pdf file to the XP system the file size parameters do not change.

It seems only to happen with pdf files that are created using Acrobat on the Win 7 64 bit system.

If I copy a created pdf file from the Win 7 system to the XP system and then copy it back to the Win 7 system it will not open in the Win 7 system that created it.

Another strange occurance - I created a pdf file using Acrobat on the XP system and copied it to the Win 7 system. It opened fine on the Win 7 system. I thin erased it from the XP system and copied it back from the Win 7 system to the XP system where it had originated. The file was then corrupted and could not be open on the same system that created it. All that happened was copying it back and forth. It can go one direct (XP > Win 7) but not the other (Win 7 > XP).

I can not drag a file from the remote desktop onto the local desktop with my remote desktop connection so I don't (think) that I have another method of copying the file.

I agree that the file type should not matter when using the copy function. But for some reason it is only messing up the pd files that are created.

Your input is appreciated.

• 3. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
              pwillener Level 8

Since you have already established (by comparing file sizes) that a corruption occurs, you do not really need a binary compare tool.

I do not have a solution for the corruption that occurs during the copy/paste; I think that must probably come from Microsoft.  (It is very strange that the copied file is actually larger than the original file!)

I thought that maybe drag-and-drop would not work, but it was worth trying anyway.  I think until a solution is found you should try to establish a different way of copying, e.g. via a shared folder.

Sorry, I have no other ideas.

• 4. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                tnashcbad Level 1

Thank you for your input/attempt. I will try a Windows forum and see what I

can get. Any recommendation on a good windows 7 forum?

• 5. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                  pwillener Level 8

http://www.sevenforums.com/

Also http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Good luck!  It would be great if you post back some information if you ever find an answer for this mystery!

• 6. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                    tnashcbad Level 1

Some more info.

I just swapped my old hard drive that had Win 2000 Pro on it into the local system. I was successful in opening the pdf file that was showing up in XP as a corrupt file. So, apparently it is an XP problem rather than a Win 7 problem.

Any ideas?

• 7. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                      tnashcbad Level 1

I now have it working. I had to revert to XP SP2 from XP SP3. What a pain.

I got this lead by trying it on my wife's computer which has XP Pro SP2 and I did not have a problem.

So, I reverted back to SP2 on my laptop, spent a few hours reconfiguring the system to get back some of what I lost and now it works.

• 8. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                        pwillener Level 8

Thank you for the feedback.

What a "solution", especially in the light that XP-SP2 is no longer supported...

Maybe you should contact Microsoft Support?

• 9. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                          andrewrcooley

I have just encountered this problem with PDF files created by an Excel 2010 macro using Excel's built in 'save as PDF' option.  The macro code is identical on every workbook, but just over half the PDFs get corrupted during the copy and paste, while the others are fine.  It is always the same ones that get corrupted with successive copy and paste operations and those that are fine stay fine.

Looking at the damaged files in Notepad, they all have stuff added after the %%EOF end of file marker when they've been copied, whereas the others don't.  All of the files, though, have two end of file markers!  This appears to be the case with any PDF generated from the Excel 2010 'save as PDF' option, whether it's done manually or by a macro.

Could it be that this double end of file marker is contributing to the problem?  If so, why should it consistently cause corruption on some files and not others?

• 10. Re: Corrupt pdf file when copying from Win 7 to XP
                            andrewrcooley Level 1

Tracked the problem down to a fault with the Remote Desktop Connection in XP.  Microsoft have issued hotfixes for XP and versions of Vista and this resolves the problem.

I still don't know why Excel generates PDFs with two end of file markers, though.