18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 8:11 AM by tpolakov

GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9

urpcor Level 1

Hi there,

I have all the GPU effects in Pre7.

Now on the same machine with pre9 installed likewise there are no GPU effects to find in PRe9.

Did there change something with PRe9?

• 1. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
          nealeh Level 5

I also have them in PRE7 but not in PRE9. They must have taken them out.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, I believe that is the case.

In its place, Adobe has added more advanced effects and transitions from NewBlue.

• 3. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The older GPU Effects were removed (mostly) from PrPro CS5, but that program is 64-bit only, so some things just did not translate to the new OS. Also, PrPro CS5 added the MPE, and tons of additional GPU acceleration.

My guess would be that Adobe dropped those in favor of some others, perhaps gearing up for 64-bit, but that is only a guess.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                Tobenator1200 Level 1

Hi,

according to the manual, there should be GPU effects and transitions in PRE9.  See http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSFB1985CE-8FA4-4d7d-B1E6-79C45B014627 .html  and http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7e 6b.html

Interestingly enough, none of these are available to me either.  Do you guys have these?

Toby

• 5. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                  nealeh Level 5

Good spot Toby. I can only guess that PRE9 is failing to properly identify GPU capable graphics cards.

PRE9 Help says

You can find these effects in the GPU Effects menu in the Effects view only if your computer has a supported GPU.

While not especially effects I would be interesed in using, it does seem to point to another issue in PRE9.

[EDIT]

I see that Adobe have also removed manual control of graphics identification:

PRE7

1.png

PRE9

2.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

Added [EDIT]

• 6. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                    Alexander Kochetov Level 1

There are no GPU effects and transitions in my PE9. In PE8 there were. One of my favorite was "Sphere" GPU transition.

Many parts of any new manual are made by coping and pasting  appropriate content from the old one. The question remains - are there any GPU effects and transitions in PE9?

Alexander

• 7. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                      nealeh Level 5

Those GPU transitions were also in PRE7 but, as you say, gone from PRE9. Very annoying. I'm in my 21st day of my trial and have not yet decided whether or not to upgrade because of these ever growing list of niggles:

• slow timeline redraw (I wonder if this is also tied into the failure to identify graphic card capabilities)
                      • templates not properly working
                      • video card capabilities not being recognised, thereby hiding GPU effects and transitions
                      • much slower opening a project

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                        Tobenator1200 Level 1

As Neale has stated I've also noticed very sluggish response when zooming the timeline even with just two short clips on it (FullHD, 24Mbit).  Scrubbing the timeline also is much slower than I had expected. I am already mentally preparing to build a new computer.

My system specs: Q9550 on X48 chipset, 8GB RAM, GTX 275 graphics, RAID 0 for film, OCZ Revodrive SSD for OS

Is it worth asking Adobe support what happened to the GPU effects and transitions mentioned in the manual?  (I'm obviously new here, having used Liquid Edition before).

• 9. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                          nealeh Level 5

I've filed it as a bug here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

If others do so as well perhaps it will move up the priority list

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                            Tobenator1200 Level 1

I've filed a bug report as well...

• 11. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

From all that you have written about updating display cards and the instructions for getting the latest driver version installed, I have taken it for granted that you are set up in that regard.

I did need to respond to your comments related to your Premiere Elements 9 trial version and its "slow timeline redraw" and "much slower opening of projects".

The history of my Premiere Elements 9 trial version display problems is well documented here. And, all my display problems in the trial version were resolved with the BadDrivers.txt fix and the VidoeRender.dll fix.  My NVIDIA card which cannot be updated does not support GPU Effects or Transitions. With the exact same computer environment, the purchased Premiere Elements 9 has NEVER given those display problems. Why?

Further, in my specific computer environment (Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit), I have NEVER experienced any "slow Timeline redraw" or "much slower opening a project". The program and new/old projects open and close quickly, and going from editing step to editing step/mode to mode is rapid..so are.scrolling through effects, transitions, and the like. To top it off (not happy about the situation, but until the new computer arrives..) I am getting this great performance from Premiere 9 with limited available RAM and free hard drive space.

In spite of all of the above, I do have concerns about certain features of Premiere Elements 9 that have/had problems. The problems are so blatant that is difficult to understand how they were missed by Adobe developers and their beta testers.

a. MANY DVD Templates...disappearing background replacements after Burn to Disc...Widescreen menus that appear as Standard...all these problems tracking Premiere Elements 9 rather than any specific problematic DVD Template

b. Synchronization of Linked Clips does not work with or without extraordinary ways to Control click/right click or right click/Control click the Offset(s).

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS21A41563-8714-4f36-BABA-D28E19837C58. html

c. Mismatched Presets feature with some loop holes in it.

d. Incompatible Display Driver Messages that defy the BadDrivers.Txt fix and VideoRenderer.dll fix (trial version ONLY).

I am not sure of the resources that Adobe has to look into these problems and how it sets priorities. But, I would agree that "numbers" count in reporting any of these Premiere Elements 9 issues to Adobe.

ATR

• 12. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                                nealeh Level 5

The varying results certainly seem to defy common sense don't they Tony? My gut feeling is that one of the main problems with this GPU problem and, most likely, the slow timeline redraw is related to the video card and PRE9's ability to recognise the capabilities.

My nvidia 8800GT is perfectly capable of GPU transitions and PRE7 works with GPU turned on and all GPU effects & transitions. Scrolling along the timeline or scrubbing with the cti is instant. But in PRE9 all GPU effects and transitions are missing, scrolling and scrubbing the timeline is agonisingly slow as each thumbnail is visibly redrawn while I watch.

As an experiment I manually set my PRE7 Playback Settings to 'compatible' and this introduced a perceptible (just) redraw. It is most frustrating that PRE9 has removed the ability to override the system determined options.

It's getting late over here, but tomorrow I'll dig out my stop watch and time the program opening (I'm sure there are plenty of PC stopwatches but I prefer the physical act of pressing real buttons .

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 and now 8 but not in PRE9
                                  erniejg Level 1

FYI

November 2010 update -

According to Adobe Technical Support, the GPU functions will no longer be available. They were unable to give any reason for discontinuing support for the GPU transistions and suggested that I use one of the newly added transistions.

I am sorry but the newly added transistions do not come close to emulating the previously avaialble GPU transistions.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I too have submitted a "Bug Report" and request for new function (or at least re-enable an old one).

• 14. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 and now 8 but not in PRE9
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ernieig

Just curious. If the GPU Effects and Transitions were to be dropped in Premiere Elements 9, did Adobe T/S offer any explanation on how the GPU Effects and Transitions did manage to get written up in the Premiere Elements 9 Help PDF?

In view of the display issues of Premiere Elements 9 trial and purchased, one wonders if there is any connection between the dropping of GPU Effects and Transitions, the display issues, and trade offs due to other unknown to us considerations in design.

Thanks for the follow up information.

ATR

• 15. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                                      nealeh Level 5

Here is a video showing how slow the timeline redrawing is in PRE9 for me. Yes, it really is that slow

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                                        Ted Smith Level 3

My PE9 timeline shuttles and zooms instantly in my 2.4g core duo machine with 3 hard disks. It was a lot alower when I had everything on one disk. It takes a short delay for the pictures in the timeline to appear if you have them enabled.

As long ago as PE2 I gave up showing pictures in the timeline except when I really need them.

I prefer to watch the preview screen to see where I am and listen to the sound and watch the audio waveform to edit the transition point on dialog. So I keep one hand on the mouse and the other poised over the space bar to quickly stop and start the preview playing.

This is much faster than starting and stopping the preview with the mouse and much more accurate than trying to judge where you are by the picture in the timeline.

Only if you really need to find one clip among many do you click on the little symbol on the left of the timeline to reveal the frames, then click them off as soon as possible.

Some effects slow the timeline if they are not rendered.

An annoying thing is if you have a very complicated transition you have to render either side of it to really see how it looks and this takes time. Once rendered, it runs at full speed.

• 17. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                                          nealeh Level 5

For me the issue is that in PRE7 it is near instant and includes GPU effects & transitions, in PRE9 it isn't.

• What graphics card do you have (and what driver version)?
                                          • Do you have the GPU effects & transitions available?

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale

• 18. Re: GPU Effects in PRE7 but not in PRE9
                                            tpolakov Level 2

Was just browsing the forums...

To get faster timeline redraw on win7, I had to disable desktop compositing in the compatibility properties of Premiere (right click - Properties, Compatibility tab)

Hope this helps someone...

Tomas